HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Aug 2011
516 Posts
Yippee!
Check out my 22% Clipped-Wing Taylorcraft !!!

Hey guys, Shooboy here. Just got back into RC after a 27 year hiatus, been flying a Nexstar trainer along with a Hangar 9 PTS Mustang. My next journey will be this sweet 22% Taylorcraft. She's got a brand new Webra 1.20 two-stroke along with Spektrum and JR radio gear. Anything I should worry about as I prepare to get her in the air as I don't have tons of experience ??? Thanks in advance, Shoo
shooboy is offline Find More Posts by shooboy
Last edited by shooboy; Aug 31, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Aug 2006
362 Posts
Range check the radio, double check the center of gravity point, check the incidences of elevators and ailerons with the radio turned on. Is the Webra reliable? Good luck and calm nerves.......
Garyss is online now Find More Posts by Garyss
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
516 Posts
Thanks Garyss, The Webra has about 15 seconds of run time. I need to run some fuel though it and get her broke in a bit first. I'll read the Webra break-in instructions and get it ready. Thanks again, Shoo
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2005
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooboy View Post
Hey guys, Shooboy here. Just got back into RC after a 27 year hiatus, been flying a Nexstar trainer along with a Hangar 9 PTS Mustang. My next journey will be this sweet 22% Taylorcraft. She's got a brand new Webra 1.20 two-stroke along with Spektrum and JR radio gear. Anything I should worry about as I prepare to get her in the air as I don't have tons of experience ??? Thanks in advance, Shoo

Your choice of engine is overpower for the plane, enough to get in trouble quickly. Be very easy on the throttle. Half throttle take off will likely be more than enough. Have fun.
RCFVR is offline Find More Posts by RCFVR
Last edited by RCFVR; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:40 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Find somebody that does have a ton of experience to check the plane out before the first flight and to stand next to you for the first flight. Might be handy!
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
Have "The Bumble Bee" painted on the side.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Find somebody that does have a ton of experience to check the plane out before the first flight and to stand next to you for the first flight. Might be handy!
Or have an advance flyer you respect in your club do the first flight for you. Then, once he has confirmed that the model flies and that it's trimmed properly, you can try your hand at it.

To put your engine in perspective, I flew an 80" wingspan Cub with a Saito 56 four-stroke and that was all the power I needed for anything an actual cub can actually do in the air.
abufletcher is offline Find More Posts by abufletcher
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
516 Posts
Thanks guys, all great advice ! I will have one of the senior pilots at the field fly it and trim it out for me. A friend of mine built this, his second one, I think he had a Super Tigre 75 in his first one. He did warn me about the power of the Webra, I'll be careful with the throttle ! He did say that these clipped-wings are very manueverable and the engine should be more than enouigh to do lots of stuff. Maybe I'll change it out eventually as I have a like new OS 81a four-stroke along with a brand new Magnum 91 four-stroke, wonder if either one of those would be enough for this plane, or would I need a 1.20 or larger four-stroke ? Thanks again, Shoo
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
What's the wingspan and weight of your model?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,380 Posts
A Clipped Wing T-Craft is about twice the airplane of a Cub. Your choice of power for the aerobatic T-Craft is well chosen. You won't need all of the power all of the time, but you'll like it when you do need it for vertical manuevers and recovering energy after multiple manuevers.
Pretty model, good luck with it.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:57 AM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2005
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
A Clipped Wing T-Craft is about twice the airplane of a Cub. Your choice of power for the aerobatic T-Craft is well chosen. You won't need all of the power all of the time, but you'll like it when you do need it for vertical manuevers and recovering energy after multiple manuevers.
Pretty model, good luck with it.
Chris...
Yes, the clipped wing T-Craft is far more aerobatic than a Cub. The T-Craft has a wing span of 36 feet (same as a Cub), the clipped wing is 14' less = 22'. The OP describes his model as 22%, that is a 58" wing. No doubt you have the skill, experience and guts to fly a 58" span plane with a 1.2 2 stroke engine. The OP is returning to RC after a 27 year absence and just coming off a Nexstar trainer. In my view his engine choice is overpower for the plane.

That engine would be an excellent choice for the Hangar 9 Taylorcraft arf. It has an 80" wing.
Last edited by RCFVR; Jul 29, 2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
516 Posts
Hey guys, Maybe I don't have a clipped wing, I'm not too sure now. My buddy told me it was a clipped-wing version and at 22% scale. I just measured the wing and it is 77" long. The approxiamate weight of the plane is 13 pounds. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for all your feedback already, Shoo
P.S. I've moved on from the Nexstar and have been flying the Hangar 9 PTS Mustang with a 3-bladed Master Airsrew prop, the engine flywheel/weight removed, and no wing extensions, she's a good low-winged trainer now and a nice sport plane. I've also been doing really well with a 60-size Cloud Dancer, nice airplane, very stable yet grooves very well. I've just finished prepping my Vintage Sig Kougar, powered by an OS 46SF, she's ready to fly. Think I'm gonna fly that before taking the T-Craft up. I also just bought a used Ultra Sport 40, complete with servos, battery, and Thunder Tiger 46 Pro, all for $100. Think I'll try and get some stick time on these before I take up something considerably more expensive..... Shoo
Last edited by shooboy; Jul 29, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:28 PM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2005
299 Posts
shooboy, stuntflyr's ESP is vastly better than mine. Go for it and have fun!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:20 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
I bet she'll fly great! Sure looks good to, thumbs up.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
From the relative ratio of the wings to the fuselage, it definitely looks like the clipped wing version. And as others have said, clipped wing versions of both the Taylorcraft and the Cub are intended to be aerobatic...in other words more "twitchy" in the air. And, yes, they also are typically outfitted with more powerful engines. So maybe that 1.20 isn't so outrageous...but it would be a real handful to fly.

Again, have the aerobatic ace at your club give it a though wringing out so he can tell you want to expect...and advise you as to whether you're ready for this model at this time.