HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:52 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,217 Posts
Question
What can be causing this (Eagle Eyes black&white video problem)

Any of you with idea what might be causing this kind of video problem?

Eagle Tree, Eagle Eyes generating noise (0 min 20 sec)

There are two 1.2Ghz video receivers hooked up to Eagle Eyes inputs and Fatshark goggles and Aiptek MPVR on the outputs. Camcorder that in any other configuration (with video splitter for example) is working flawlesly is recording (and displaying) this kind of picture only when hooked up to Eagle Eyes output. Fatsharks are showing correct picture all the time.

Already tried different output ports, other set of cables etc.
hefest is offline Find More Posts by hefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
I have no experience with this hardware in particular - but 2 common generic causes to intermittant loss of colour content in analogue video are:

- current or voltage drop between video camera and display or recorder.
- conflicts in video signal processing and/or hardware components e,g, component to composite (or the other way round).
CryptoHawk is offline Find More Posts by CryptoHawk
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
I don't know what would cause it, but it almost looks like NTSC and PAL signals are being mixed.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
Very possible.......

Playing a PAL video camera signal through NTSC monitor can cause:

- rolling screen
- blank screen

Playing an NTSC video camera signal through a PAL monitor can cause:

- intermittent black & white frames
- a blank screen or
- what folk call in the trade “picture tearing”

You know the old definition for NTSCNever The Same Color Twice.
The definition stems from the color variance flaw - a well known problem in the NTSC format.
CryptoHawk is offline Find More Posts by CryptoHawk
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:07 PM
NKK for short...
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking, but the only way that makes sense is if the VRx's can be set to NTSC or PAL, which doesn't sound likely, they're usually able to handle both types of signals.

I would start by hooking up each VRx individually and checking the Aiptek to see what it looks like.

It just looks like the Eagletree is switching between the two RX's and one of them is the problem
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:18 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkromhof View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, but the only way that makes sense is if the VRx's can be set to NTSC or PAL, which doesn't sound likely, they're usually able to handle both types of signals.

I would start by hooking up each VRx individually and checking the Aiptek to see what it looks like.

It just looks like the Eagletree is switching between the two RX's and one of them is the problem
That's not the case, signal from both RX's is behaving in the same manner.
Without EagleEyes when one RX is connected trough simple video splitter to Fatshark goggles and Aiptek DVR everything is ok.
EagleEyes shouldn't change any of the video passing trough it, its just inspecting the quality of the signal.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:32 PM
NKK for short...
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
I understand that the ET is just a conduit, it's not supposed to do anything except pass the strongest signal through.

Having said that, yours appears to be defective or there's something that all of us don't know about the ET diversity controller. I would contact them to find out what they think, because you've eliminated the rest of the equipment.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:00 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,063 Posts
A low video level can cause this. Right after the synch pulse, there is a "color burst". This signal the presence of a color format NTSC. If undetected, the display devide switch to black and white mode. There is a video adjustment pot on the EE, turn it to max brightness and see if the input 2 does not bahave like this anymore.

Hugo
Hugeone is online now Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:09 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
A low video level can cause this. Right after the synch pulse, there is a "color burst". This signal the presence of a color format NTSC. If undetected, the display devide switch to black and white mode. There is a video adjustment pot on the EE, turn it to max brightness and see if the input 2 does not bahave like this anymore.

Hugo
Interesting idea, i'll try that but there is only one video adjustment pot for second channel.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:12 AM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,063 Posts
Yes, but if it work, you know your problem.

Hugo
Hugeone is online now Find More Posts by Hugeone