HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
Hot ESC without doing nothing - HK blueseries

Hi dear,

I'm installing an hobbyking ESC blueseries rated at 30A, trying to let it connected to
battery without any driving signal leads the ESC to come hot... in other word, no current
to motor and the ESC is hot (my hand can touch it without excessive pain, say 45-50 degree I think)... is it normal?
alfapistola is offline Find More Posts by alfapistola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Jul 2008
586 Posts
That doesn't sound normal to me.

If you plug a speed controller in to a battery and a motor but don't plug the cable in to the receiver it should not heat up.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
teslahed has the right idea, unplug the 3 pin control line and see if it gets hot.

The ESC's contain a seperate regulator designed to power other devices other than the motors. If this device is pulling too much current, or if the ESC is connected to a device with other ESC's it is possible for the esc's to have a bit of a battle to supply varying voltages anomalies.
brodiej is offline Find More Posts by brodiej
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:17 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,935 Posts
with no load, no its not normal. you say the little servo connector is not plugged in, so is probably a bad ESC. try it with another motor to see if it is a shor in the motor or the ESC is bad.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:08 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,910 Posts
bad speed controller
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic20owner View Post
bad speed controller
yeah, thanks guys, just one esc out of six was bad, it can also drive the motor but it's produce totally random sounds with any attempt to programming, it starts motor without any sound and....as originally posted, it became hot pretty soon..

-hobbyking blueseries 30A-

how much often happens to find a bad esc in a set? This is the first set for me, next time I will order one or two in addition

thanks again
alfapistola is offline Find More Posts by alfapistola
Old Jul 06, 2013, 04:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
I had a similar problem with my tricopter with the blueseries esc. One esc is getting really hot when the servo cable is plugged in, up to feel pain on my skin. It's not getting hot when the servo cable is removed.

So i removed this esc+motor and left the other two plugged in, with servo cable, and surprisingly one of the other two got really hot this time, while it had no problem when all three where plugged in.

Any idea ?
natael is offline Find More Posts by natael