HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:07 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Discussion
The dumb things we did... That we shouldn't have.

Share your dumbest display of just how macho you were.

The California American Trap state Championships.

I went 9 days after breaking 3 ribs and tweaking my right rotator...

I wanted to shoot 3 events that normally I could have won or finished well.

40 degree mornings and 95 by noon. The cold stiffened everything I tweaked I spent about an hour in the car with the heater on high so I could loosen up enough to move.

I shot 3 events totaling 400 rounds of ammo and 100 rounds in warm up. A total of 500 rounds. The Trap doubles were my last event, The first recoil about pulled a tear out, the second recoil I was ready to drop. I made it to the end of the event.

I thought I was tough enough to do it with my usual score, I wasn't far off but perfect scores are a must, after your first miss the rest of the event is practice.

My wife drove us back from Kingsburg, CA back to Newport Beach, I was in no condition to drive, I look back I was in no condition to try the events. I had it planned for months, all the fees had been paid...

Want to see the look of pain? The picture here was taken during the Trap Doubles, Note where my left hand is... It's way back on the action. That was as far as I could reach out and keep the muzzle where I wanted it. Any further and I would put the barrel down.

I had been a competition cyclist most of my life, I feel if I can move I can finish... Sometimes common sense eludes us and we have to find out the hard way. I was sure I could do it, I did better than most. Pain was getting the best of me by the end. The wife drove me home, I had to lay off a few months.

I also learned a lesson, I have peeled a few guys of the ground after a crit bender, all of them will try to jump on the bike, Out of all of them I seen that want to jump on the bike and finish, I have not seen one of then that should have gotten on the bike and head for the finish. Most are in need of a Dr. but they are so high on adrenalin they think they can do it. Strange mind set on Cyclists.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCWorks; Jul 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:39 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
I was a pretty green rider on a very green mustang horse. My work partner lost his hat to a dust devil and my ride, Atlas, who had been captured/nutured/and green broke just 90 days before I met him - tried to catch that hat between his front hooves. Not much had bothered Atlas during our brief association, but then again I had never thrown a wild, horse-killing cowboy hat between his feet, either. I can tell you that I have never thought of myself as a rodeo man, and I proved it beyond a doubt that day.

Atlas went to pitching like a square wheeled tractor and it only took him three or four violent reversals from nose high to tail high to dislodge me. It is funny how time slows and how clear things get in a time of crisis - my best recollection of that event was how there were mountains and clouds neatly framed between the soles of my boots, rather than the rollercoastering tornado disguised as a horse, that had been my ride just a few moments before. I landed square on my back in deep sand, with feet still framing that picturesque vista before it all went dark and stars exploded across my vision.

To his credit, Atlas does not have a mean bone in his body, evidenced by the way he had stopped his gyrations and other evasive manouvers even before the breath was completely blasted from my body. While I recombobulated, Atlas calmly waited a few feet away munching on the tabosa grass. He ate quite a bit of that grass waiting for me to be able to move, stand and say anything other than "uuuuunnnggghhhh (gasp) uuuuunnnggghhhh (gasp)".

My partner got his hat back without damage and I learned the hard way that sub-orbital flight is best not attempted from horseback. Adrenalin got me back to the truck, motrin got me home and Jack Daniels got me to bed. Man, I miss riding that horse
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Jul 05, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:01 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,624 Posts
Voted for Reagan.. twice.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:47 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
Voted for Reagan.. twice.
"Maybe Obama won't be so bad afterall".
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:53 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
Not selling my stock in Gateway computers back in '01. Watched it plummet from $90/share (hoping it would split 1 more time) only to see it crash and burn.

When they finally got bought out they settled for a price of $1.91. I lost a potential profit of $40k but, in reality, was only out about $3k.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:39 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Probably the dumbest was marrying my second wife. A prime example of thinking with the wrong head. Expensive and 5 years of my life wasted.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Probably the dumbest was marrying my second wife. A prime example of thinking with the wrong head. Expensive and 5 years of my life wasted.
Tops me, After 3 days my ordeal was pretty much over but left me pretty tender. 5 years vs 500 rounds of recoil on a broken body, not to mention the expense of a woman.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2011
777 Posts
Bought a home at the 'peak' of the housing bubble.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:23 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
80mph on a winding rain slick road. Nobody and nothing hurt but a lesson learned for life.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Bought a home at the 'peak' of the housing bubble.
I bought in June of 2007...

I cashed in a 401K for the down payment (50%)
I bought a fixer in a market that was not volital.
I made a deal my banks loan officer would have jumped on had I dropped out.

I did ok, I did not lose 50% on the 401k that most did, and I am not only not upsaide down I paid it off in 4 years. I made out on the deal.

Looking back I'd do it again, hope your not upsidedown.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
777 Posts
No the mortgage is paid off but I will never be able to sell it for what we paid. I told my wife I hope you like where your living, its going to be a while.

Wish I had cashed in my 401 back in 2007.. sigh.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:51 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Getting married to my ex-wife. Never try to fix a mistake with another mistake. (I wish our politicians could learn this)

Taking up smoking in my teens. Quit cold turkey in my late 20's and it was pure hell.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Last edited by Real Ira; Jul 06, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
No the mortgage is paid off but I will never be able to sell it for what we paid. I told my wife I hope you like where your living, its going to be a while.

Wish I had cashed in my 401 back in 2007.. sigh.
I got a 10% Penalty for taliking it out, but I saved 40% on the loss.

The 401k was sitting there neither really losing nor making money, I figured the house as an investment. I got in at about 5k under half price comparing to tht sale price of other houses here on this block. If I sell to a tribal member they. will take it usually without haggling price. So I did ok. I as looking more south this year but I did not like the prices of the homes knowing they are on septic tanks and are prone to power outages.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCWorks; Jul 05, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
Potassium nitrate, suplhur, charcoal (or sugar). Need I say more?
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten View Post
Potassium nitrate, suplhur, charcoal (or sugar). Need I say more?
Home made black powder.
RCG Plus Member