SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Feb 2010
77 Posts
Discussion
Jba gas engines

I am working on my first gas engine plane and thinking of putting in the JBA 15 Benzinator engine. Has anyone had any experience witht his motor? Seems from the specs to make good hp and rpms. And it should be a good fit for the plane I have planed for it. Just dont want to waste my money on a crap motor.
Thanks
DIVERHERB is offline Find More Posts by DIVERHERB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:59 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,200 Posts
It is my understanding that JBA engines quit manufacturing the engines. So what you see is the remaining stock leftover here and there.

Now the engine designer (Michael Chow) for JBA left and started his own company named NGH engines. He actually frequents the threads from time to time too and makes comments etc. Agape Racing and Hobbies sells the engines as does Troy Built Models too.
Uncle George sells them too in the RC Groups marketplace.
The 9cc engine is being discussed here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1555659
and the 17cc engine is being discussed here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10559372
I have a NGH 17cc engine too, but I haven't run it or done anything with it yet.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:27 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Mine wouldn't run right til I replaced the over-sized carb, and then ate 2 connecting rods. Other than that, it was a great engine.......
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:06 AM
USA, GA, Hawkinsville
Joined Oct 2008
13 Posts
JBA 15 cc

I have a JBA 15 cc engine in a Tiger 60 and it is a great match. I also had to change the carb to a DLE 30 carb to get it to run right. The stock carb has a large throat which causes it to run too rich in the mid-range. After that modification it runs great! I have never broken a rod and I have about 2 gallons of gas through mine which takes a long time to do. I have been running 20:1 HP Ultra which is a full synthetic oil. The JBA 15 gives me unlimited vertical but I can't remember what size 3 blade prop I have on it though.
jeffkujawa is offline Find More Posts by jeffkujawa
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
I never owned one!
The one that a fellow club member had ran pretty good. He did make a vital mistake, let it get to lean and it seased up. If you go that route run it a little rich and do not let it get to lean. That would apply to all smaller gas engines. They require so little feul therefor more oil in the mix to keep them lubricated.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Before 9cc appearred, J15G is a really smallest gas engine because its size is as same as classical .90 glow engine size. easy to install it, and it is powerful and very beautiful looks, in this size Mvvs90, BME90 and NGH17 ...as optional. we can check which is better with price and performance.

but J15G has a vital problem is on the Walbro carb size, it use Walbro WT664A, it is bigger venturi get issue at Mid-range. and rod is modified with high-strength material is ok still need use 20:1 or 25:1 mixture rate.

So if want to get a low price and good performance 15cc gas engine, there are two ways to get:
1. NGH17: use Walbro WT1022 special size remade by Walbro company just for NGH.
2. J15G: if you like J15G beautiful appearance, and if you are not feel troublesome, can contact dealer take WT664A away and ask him set WT1022 on it or WT962. it is a very good engine unexpected. can contact Himodel, and some questions let me know, I will make treatment.

NGH17 and J15G is same size with good power, and both use glow style stock muffler because this muffler reduce the noise, and if install Pitts-style muffler on it, it will express more RPM. both are very good glow-style gas engine.

I have not conceal anything. thank you all.
michaelchow is offline Find More Posts by michaelchow
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:22 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,200 Posts
Wow that is a big carburetor on the J15G engine. A WT 664 has a 13.5mm venturi inside. That is big enough to work with a 50cc gas engine.
I would assume a 15cc or 17cc gas engine would be using a carb with a 8 to 9mm venturi size on it.
What is the venturi size for a WT 1022 carb? I cannot find a reference to it so far.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
Earl you are right. WT664 is bigger on J15G. WT1022 is made by Walbro for NGH with 9mm venturi. Matching-test by Walbro, so it is very suitable, and remade by Walbro just for NGH company with 1022 series No.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:23 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,200 Posts
Thank you very much for the information.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Feb 2010
77 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I have 2 planes that I am going to power with gas. One is a 60sizeTop Flight Corsair kit, and the other is an old SpaceWalker ARF from TopFlight that is supposed to be suited for a 60 2stroke? Anyway I think that you all have swung me towards using the NGH 17 or 20. Both make more hp than any similar sized glow engine, and swing a bigger prop.
DIVERHERB is offline Find More Posts by DIVERHERB
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
NGH 17 and J15G is with standard measurement as classical .90 glow engine size, so you just need replace it and install it on your airplane with same beam-mounting, but others 20 is bigger measurement than 17 or 15 size.

NGH 25B is with standard measurement as classical .120 glow engine size with same beam-mounting, if you prefer 20, NGH 25B will supply bigger power.

NGH series products line is based on classical glow engine size, 17 is same as .90, 25 is same as .120, 35 is with . 180 size. glow-style with compact and different with all others.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
KG4WXI
USA, GA, Winston
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
I can say i was flying on the intruder 90 size and I will say the ngh 17 gas motor runs great i had no problems till some trees jumped in front of it. I never knew trees could grow so fast. Thanks to Mr Chow i was able to get the 17 gas and what a different plane it made so, thanks goes out to Mr Chow. One the other hand the 9cc gas we have never got it to run when we point the plane straight up in the air it cuts off still working on that one. In closing the 17cc ngh is a very fine little gas motor I have had 0 problems. Thanks Michael Chow
kurtis01 is offline Find More Posts by kurtis01