HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Discussion
Get into pattern/F3A?

There was guy at my club field today who is in the masters class F3A competition, and he and his son are on the same team as quique somenzini. I have been strongly urged to do pattern after he saw me do several half-cubans and low inverted passes with my T28. What do you guys think? Is I worth the time, effort, and cost? Large, composite F3A planes are pricy, but the Exteme Flight 48" vanquish could be an affordable option.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:15 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,068 Posts
I flew pattern for more than 25 years, and if yo are not committed to practicing a minimum of 2-3 hrs per day, forget it. and if he is basing his assessment of you on your flying a T28, I think he is pulling your leg. Been there and done that. WORK,WORK,WORK
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:25 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
I have thought about it before. I practice on realflight for a few hours a day just to improve my flying, so not too much of a jump. Just need to get a plane for it and keep practicing.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Ok......... he also seemed rather obsessed. He kept calling out his moves, and he yelled damn it whenever he messed up the slightest bit.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:56 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
A cheap way to get a taste of F3A is a GWS Formosa or FormosaII. They are scaled down versions of an F3A but will give you an idea of how they fly. Also nice planes to sport fly.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:28 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
I was kinda thinking the same as rcaddict16. But is there something like that in PNP form? I dont know why, but buying a million seperate items gets on my nerves.
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
I was kinda thinking the same as rcaddict16. But is there something like that in PNP form? I dont know why, but buying a million seperate items gets on my nerves.
IKR. My dream is that someday, 3DHS and Extreme Flight will make BNF's
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:55 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I flew some pattern, scale and pylon racing comps back in England. It was fun, I won a few, but they were not even national class events, though the rules and judging in the pattern and scale were to FAI rules. Also, I made the best of the models I had - even though back then, a club level flier could at a push afford an FAI pattern ride, they were fast heading out of fiscal reach of the sane!

All the comments above re practice time, dedication and so on are true. Though I wasn't that serious, a large part of every day I flew would be down to flying practice patterns. A slightly different tack, but I once took cycle racing to far more serious levels and can still well remember how life goes when it's dedicated to a sport, not having fun like your buddies.

Well, that's not strictly true. If you are dedicated to a sport - especially if you are winning at it - you don't have buddies who go out and have fun, you have team-mates, folk you see while training - and the competition. Okay, I must 'fess up. My dear wife back when she was new at the role thought I was pretty laid back. Then she came out to a pylon race. She admits to not paying attention until she realised that her new hubby was in the final. She told me later, she saw the look in my eye when I went out to the start line and felt sorry for the other three fliers. I was far more focussed back in my 20's in bike racing though.

The father and son you describe are either financially capable of affording to approach model flying like they do, and/or are effectively 'professionals' who receive manufacturer's support in equipment, travel and the other stuff necessary to compete at their level. Also, even if you have the talent to go to their level, you have to get in at the bottom, fight your way up to whupping them and convince sponsors that you are a pro worthy of their support.

I also suspect that the amount of money in 'Professional FAI flying' is somewhat less than in, say, Moneyball or Golfsticking - so even if you rise to Quique's level, you will still end up putting a fair chunk of your family inheritance into your chosen sport...

Want to have a go at comps? Well, get off to the aerobatic and pattern competition websites and see how things go with respect to entry level events that you can reasonably fly with a smaller, cheaper model - which, I hate to say, will probably cut out cheap 30" foamie BARFs from China, at least on the outdoor scene.

Have a look at the other 'pattern' classes too.

http://www.classicpatternassociation.com/Home_Page.html
and
http://www.seniorpattern.com/

Both honour a different era of 'pattern' flying - an era of simpler patterns, and models that regular club guys could afford and also fly for sport and fun between competitions. Great Planes/whoever's 'Kaos' is a 40 sized BARF that gets into 'Senior Pattern' and has been electrocuted, plus there's a lot of smaller plans around from that era that would take to smaller electric motors.

But basically, you can get in for a lot less outlay and see if you have the talent to make the likes of Quique figure it's safer to stay home and mow the lawn than come out and take you on

Good luck. Despite what some may say about competing being everything, standing atop the podium being kissed by the pretty girls does rather outweigh just showing up

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:35 AM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Ok......... he also seemed rather obsessed. He kept calling out his moves, and he yelled damn it whenever he messed up the slightest bit.
I have not been to a pattern contest in quite a few years, but in my day of competition, you called your next manuever, heading , altitude, and then manuever complete. This was for the judges to be able to judge you without guessing. When I was flying, I would burn no less than a gallon of fuel a day in a piped 60 size nitro every day that was flyable. and yes I called every manuever, and said the same as him when I missed. My wife was my caller, and we would drive all night Friday night to get there, and then all night Sunday to get home so I could go to work on Monday. Sponsors, Yes, but not like today. I got all my stuff at cost, and no freebies nor any money for travel and lodging. Did I do well, yes I did and it was fun till the young whipper snappers started whuppin my butt BTW, never had a podium, nor any beauties to kiss you back then Try it on a Sim, and see if you think you have what it takes. Roy Just another has been AMA # 8045/CD Flying since 1959
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
I have not been to a pattern contest in quite a few years, but in my day of competition, you called your next manuever, heading , altitude, and then manuever complete. This was for the judges to be able to judge you without guessing. When I was flying, I would burn no less than a gallon of fuel a day in a piped 60 size nitro every day that was flyable. and yes I called every manuever, and said the same as him when I missed. My wife was my caller, and we would drive all night Friday night to get there, and then all night Sunday to get home so I could go to work on Monday. Sponsors, Yes, but not like today. I got all my stuff at cost, and no freebies nor any money for travel and lodging. Did I do well, yes I did and it was fun till the young whipper snappers started whuppin my butt BTW, never had a podium, nor any beauties to kiss you back then Try it on a Sim, and see if you think you have what it takes. Roy Just another has been AMA # 8045/CD Flying since 1959
No sim lol. Phoenix is not cheap, and i prefer that over realflight because it has all the planes i might fly. i dont fly flyzone and electifly stuff, just horizon, so it makes so sense to get realflight. are the 3D physics of phoenix any good?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
he was also quite obsessed with the little yellow keepers holding the wires for his rx and battery together. i guess that happens with a multi-thousand dollar plane lol.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Podium girls - obviously, cycling surpasses all other sports here

Sims are practice tools, mostly to practice stuff you'd often rather not have to do for real. The ones we play with are, viewpoint dependent, somewhere between glorified toys to products to be sold to consumers. Sorry - a little jaded view here. Used to 'play' in multi-millions worth of sim, sometimes several times a week ...

If you want a good look at pattern, with an ever- heftier slant on electric power too, read Dave Lockhart's column in Flying Models magazine. Yes, it does involve such strange rituals as paying real money for a paper magazine and turning pages to read it. Model Aviation magazine also has a pretty good pattern column.

Saving a little reading here. Did you know that there's a voltage limit of 42.56V in pattern? That's ten lipo cells in easy money. Oddly enough, the favoured battery is TP's ProLite G6 5000mA cell with a mere 25C rating. That's due to it being of high standard and lighter than other 5K cells of higher 'C'. All from Dave's column BTW.

This is fun!

D
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
My first cousins son flys in IMAC events, I do know that, and I believe precision flying of some sort. I do know that he won the NAT's last year in his age group(15-17?). His score was 2989 out of 3000. His dad and grandparents provide him with Anything he needs, so that he can become a world champion, he's that good. The guys at the club, he's a member, always rib me about him being so young and talented. After a perfect demonstration flight he flew, we were amazed, he said he sucked! He must have a $100,000.00 setup between his truck, trailer and planes easy. My aunt said he crashed a brand new $7,000.00 plane a month ago on takeoff and said to gas up another one. ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Wow Great!!!

My Formosa and sloppy loops are looking better and better
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:53 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Never knew 'Immense Model Aircraft Consumption' flying was so cheap So about any kid can afford to fly giant scale pattern on his/her allowance? That makes it a far better deal.

Am off to look through my couch and under the car seats, I fancy a go at this

D