HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by arnav, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:04 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,361 Posts
Rant
HobbyKing Orange Rx Crashed my Plane!

Cross posting an older video from YouTube....

I had 42 successful flights in this field so far with a Spektrum DX7s (which I love) and its AR8000 Rx. No issues whatsoever, not a glitch, no nothing. Flawless, I couldn't be happier. I also fly far and high (see my other videos). I even debunked the local Spektrum Myth with it (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2636).

I took the AR8000 out in favor of another Plane and put instead a HobbyKing Orange Rx with a satellite. I figured that just to be on the safe side and as an extra precaution I will add the Satellite as well (even tough it cost more than the Rx itself).

First pack of the day I lost a signal once. I ran towards the Plane and was able to regain control. I was willing to dismiss it as a fluke.

On the second flight I lost a signal again, regained control again, and of course at this point it was obvious something is not right. I brought the Plane even closer and did figure-8s right in front of me high above (say 100ft?). Lost a signal for 3rd time. There was no point running towards the Plane as it was close to me already. I tried to change the Tx position but nothing. The plane darted itself at 3/4 throttle from 100 ft or so (as you can see in the video).

- The TX Antenna was folded at 90 degrees.
- The main orange Rx was by the servos and the Satellite on the side of the fuse far from each other.
- I did a range check at home and at the field without an issue.

I don't have anything against HobbyKing. In fact I buy stuff from them all the time, but statistically it doesn't look good for the Orange Rx in my case (42 AR8000 flights without an issue vs. 1st Orange Rx crash). Perhaps, like they say "you get what you pay for."

The fuse is shattered and sliced in half to the end of the servo bay. Of course it can be glued back up (what else). Either way, I am ready for a break from it. Time to concentrate on a new build...

R/C Plane Crash (HobbyKing Orange Rx Fault?) (7 min 13 sec)
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Jul 04, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:02 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,061 Posts
Hard lesson learned!

Man that is a bummer! Hopefully you learned a lesson! When you have a problem in the air you bring it in. And rule number 2 never put cheap S*** in your fav plane it's cheap for a reason! I know cause I have did both these!!!! Hope it's fixable!!!
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,361 Posts
haha, I can explain...
At the point of installing the Orange Rx I was already using the Plane more as a sandbox to try things I wanted to try for the first time and get out of the way (painting, elevator wire mod, re-hinging, etc'). One of those things to try was to use the Orange Rxs. Getting over the initial hump of learning how to fly, and looking to get at least 2 more airplanes, i needed to decide which Rxs to use going forward. On one hand I had the AR8000 which I was using ($120?) and on the other hand I had those Orange Rxs folks seems to be using successfully ($6?). I had to convince myself beyond reasonable doubt if those cheap Rxs are viable. There was no way I was going to be convinced one way or another unless two things happened: Either I continue to use them without an issue, or clearly there is an issue with them (duh it crashed!). The only thing that was on the balance is a $50 Plane from Craigslist which already flew and looked like crap anyway... But I was going to gain (and in fact did) is the ability to justify going the route of original Spektrum Rxs... I don't think I would have been able to do it just after that first flight with that intermittent loss of signal... The only thing that was flawed is thinking I have to get another AR8000. I don't (aside from the fact it is proven to work in this Field of course). I can simply go with a 4, or 6 CH genuine Rx from spektrum which is cheaper and therefore the delta between what it cost and what the Orange Rx cost is smaller anyway which makes it a no brainer. I will probably go with a bunch of AR6210 now. Since the crash with the Orange Rx I did 50 more flights in that field with the AR8000 (and knock on wood) no issues.
Like they say, you get what you pay for... Yes, the Plane was fixable. i glued it all up together but didn't put the finishing touches to make it air worthy again. I just moved up to my first aerobatic trainer...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:23 PM
United States, NY, Manhasset
Joined Jul 2011
392 Posts
OrangeRx

Sorry to hear about your loss. However, I have to say that ALL of my planes fly the OrangeRx. Never had an issue. They have been in over 20 planes and probably 500 flights just in the last year. I also use them in my expensive 3d planes as well. My biggest plane is only 55 inches however. Sometimes I use the Satellite, sometimes I don't, haven't noticed a big difference in the distances I fly. On occassion I have had brown-outs, but so have the other guys I fly with who use Spectrum and JR. I just wouldn't be so fast to blame the receiver. Even my friend with the new DSMX receiver has had issues. Actually, more issues than me believe it or not. I actually think the cause of the periodic brownouts has been forgetting to leave my cell phone in the car and not fly with it in my pocket. Ever have your cell phone near a radio and hear it pulse through? I can imagine that happens with my transmitter as well.
ChrisNYPilot is offline Find More Posts by ChrisNYPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Sport Cub
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:37 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,361 Posts
Yeah, that is exactly why I wanted to give them a try (knowing that they cost 6 bucks and that many people such as yourself use them without an issue). I never fly with my cell on me (too distracting). it is always left in the car. If you are brave I will send you my Rx/Satellite and you can test it for me... I don't have a Plane I can sacrifice yet... The fact I had 80 successful flights with the AR8000 and on the very first and 2nd try of the Orange Rx I had issues to me is significant and seems to suggest more than occasional burnout. It could be that my flying site requires DSMX. People have originally warned me there not to fly Spektrum. They all said they lost many planes there until they have finally switched to Futaba and no longer had issues. Now, I don't doubt them. While I suspect that many crashes are blamed on Rx issues where the underlying root cause is different, enough people warned me there about not flying Spektrum to have at least a grain of truth. The field is surrounded by many antennas and I wish someone knew for sure what kind of frequencies they broadcast.

Not having much to lose (with my first airplane I got on craigslist) I gave it try and had over 80 flights in that field with my DX7s and AR8000 without an issue. Not a glitch not nothing and I do fly high and far.

So, this is somewhat anecdotal, but my perception based on the above is that:
- The area where I fly might have interference issues (i.e. everyone who lost planes there).
- Unless it is a case of a bad Rx, the fact that on the very first and second attempt to use a non-DSMX orange Rx I had issues seems to support that fact.
- The fact that I have no issues whatsoever with the DX7s/AR8000 (knock on wood) seems to suggest that in this case DSMX is what made the difference vs. the orange Rx (presumably DSM2).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,061 Posts
Arav I couldn't agree with you more!
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,357 Posts
I have a dozen of the OrangeRXs and just had my first failure yesterday. The 4ch version is cheap and crappy. The 7ch and 6ch version seem more reliable.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:22 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,361 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your Plane. Fixable? What Plane was it?
Actually my failures were with the 6CH version (R610 Rx + R100 Sat)...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,357 Posts
A SkyAngel Mig-15 (50mm EDF). Signal loss at less than 150 feet away. Weird. Only a servo rod and foam bomb were damaged. I trashed the nose the next day

7CH is supposed to be more reliable (with a failsafe) than the 4CH and 6CH. Still... it's kinda scary to think about it.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,361 Posts
rrr, that is a nice plane...
Yes, its not worth it. I am done with those receivers. For what you can get genuine rxs for, it is not worth it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,357 Posts
It happened on a different SkyAngel jet (F16) 3 times in mid-air but not on my FMS Cessna today.

I think it's related to the ESC (too much power drawn) not the RX (a guess). I had control a few seconds later but throttle was zero... or is the the failsafe position?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,361 Posts
Yes, there are many variables in this case. Was it the same Rx that you moved from the Cessna to the Jet or is it a different Orange Rx? Even if it was the same Rx, the Plane's construction itself may make a difference. For example,
- Is it foam like the Cessna?
- Is this Plane's setup put the Rx closer to metal, Carbon, battery, ESC, etc'? The Cessna is so big you can hide a dead body inside... The F16 is likely more cramped inside and the components are more likely to interfere with each other or obscure the Rx from the Tx.

To ruleout a brownout why not add a UBEC? The CC BEC is tiny and can handle up to 10A. In my case it was easy to conclude it was the Rx as the setup was identical, the only thing I have done is to swap the Rx...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,357 Posts
I do have a CC UBEC lying around, but it's for a different plane/project. Unfortunately, the F16 is no more. I snap rolled it after losing orientation and the fan blades were destroyed (shows you how hard to slammed the plane into the ground). The parts will be used to build another baby jet.

OTOH, the Mig-15 flew awesomely at lunch today. No signal issues although I did manage the throttle (kept it at 75-80% max) more than usual.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,361 Posts
oh, sorry to hear about the F-16...

Weird about the Mig-15, nothing is worse than troubleshooting intermittent issues, but I guess it is good news / you'll take it..
RCG Plus Member