SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by arnav, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:59 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,799 Posts
Whoops!
FMS SkyTrainer Flybys and Eventual Crash [HD]

Cross posting older videos from YouTube.

Flight #39 of the FMS SkyTrainer @ Ives Estates Park, FL (wind 6 to 7mph).
I knew the field is going to be empty so i figured this will be a good time to experiment with regular photography (as oppose to the onboard mini-CAM one) without making a complete fool of myself (of course so much for that). I didn't know how much the Camera is going to be able to capture so decided to do fly-bys over the camera instead of trying to fly in its view. Was flying 6 to 15 feet off the ground at 3/4 Throttle out of view... The first flight of the day the Camera stopped recording so I only have the onboard footage (2nd video). The second flight the FPV Camera stopped recording (prob given the crash) so I only have ground camera view (first video). Shame, I wanted to have both for the same flight...
The Camera is a Canon T2i set to capture 1920x1080 @ 60fps. Even at 60fps the plane zooms by and blurry. I need to try a lower resolution perhaps next time. After 14 mins of those fly-bys between the two flights of course I got bored which is where I get into trouble... Without a Plan, I decided to make a loop in front of the camera (low to the ground) and a split second decision to go inverted as a continuous maneuver from the loop. Then of course I dumb-thumb it and pulled up instead of down... Disappointing considering how much time I have been spending inverted lately.
Oh well, all in a day of flying.

The plane is completely repairable (so it seems). It is a amazing how durable it is:
- Right horizontal Stab broke off.
- Wing buckled at the LE where it meets the fuse.
- Wing strut broke off where I connected the FPV Cam today (which is interesting).
- Motor mount broke off the FW and the FW is intact (may just glue a piece of ply over the FW to patch it).
- Aileron broke off (easy to fix)
- 2 servos stripped
- Fuse bended behind FW. Nothing that hot water cannot fix.

NitroPlanes SkyTrainer Flybys and Eventual Crash (4 min 9 sec)

This was the first flight from the day of the crash where I have the onboard mini-CAM footage and not the ground one.
Notice how at 1:15 the Plane brushes against the tree but is not affected . A close call!
I completely misjudged how much space i need to turn and fly over the ground based camera.

SkyTrainer Touches a Tree in Mid-flight - Unfazed by It... (9 min 27 sec)
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Jul 04, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:31 AM
Suspended Account
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
wow
AndersenGuo is offline Find More Posts by AndersenGuo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)