Kerry
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:37 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Gov phase wiring

Is connecting the Phase sensor to the G31 as simple as plugging in the normal red/black/white connector provided into the RS/GainPtAx port and then connecting the JST plug leads to two of the ESC to Motor wires?

Then just connect the JST and setup the feature in the software and spool up the heli to 90% power (TC) flat. Then power down after the speed drops indicating the Gov feature is enabled.

I'm running a 450 on 350mm blades. I want to run a slower HS, like 2000 rpm to see if I can improve flight times. Once the Gov is setup, I then set a flat TC to deliver my hover 2000 hs and see how it flies as collective is needed.

Is that all there is to this?
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:29 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
Is connecting the Phase sensor to the G31 as simple as plugging in the normal red/black/white connector provided into the RS/GainPtAx port and then connecting the JST plug leads to two of the ESC to Motor wires?
Yes

Quote:
Then just connect the JST and setup the feature in the software and spool up the heli to 90% power (TC) flat. Then power down after the speed drops indicating the Gov feature is enabled.
Yep

Quote:
I'm running a 450 on 350mm blades. I want to run a slower HS, like 2000 rpm to see if I can improve flight times. Once the Gov is setup, I then set a flat TC to deliver my hover 2000 hs and see how it flies as collective is needed.

Is that all there is to this?
Yeah - good luck. The only down-side that I found at all is that the G31 gov takes a longggggg time to get up to full HS - oh, and if you do autos then make sure that they work as you won't be able to bail-out and re-start the motor as the slow-start takes about 30 seconds. Other than that it works really well
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:04 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Yeah - good luck. The only down-side that I found at all is that the G31 gov takes a longggggg time to get up to full HS - oh, and if you do autos then make sure that they work as you won't be able to bail-out and re-start the motor as the slow-start takes about 30 seconds. Other than that it works really well
Huh! So that undermines any talk of the controller governor being superior to an ESC governor mode. Seems like something they ought to fix in a firmware revision.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:50 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Huh! So that undermines any talk of the controller governor being superior to an ESC governor mode. Seems like something they ought to fix in a firmware revision.
Possibly - I am still using the G31 gov and very happy with it, I don't (intentionally) do autos anyway so not a big issue for me - I just wanted to make people aware. I still think that bang-for-buck this FBL unit wins at the moment, the performance / feature mix is excellent.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:25 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Flint: Tell me about your 450 with 350mm blades and the tail stretch some.

I'm using my EXI pro 450 with 350mm wood (Outrage G5 blades) with a stock tail. Is seems like I have plenty of room between the blades and the woodies are dead on for tracking. What am I missing by not having the longer tail?

Also, what does 6S give you that my 3S setup lacks? What does more volts provide, or is it just that you have those packs so it's simpler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I just flew my maiden flight on the robird 31. I installed it on my 6s stretched 450 w/ 350mm blades. ....
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:06 AM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
299 Posts
Quote:
Flint: Tell me about your 450 with 350mm blades and the tail stretch some.

I'm using my EXI pro 450 with 350mm wood (Outrage G5 blades) with a stock tail. Is seems like I have plenty of room between the blades and the woodies are dead on for tracking. What am I missing by not having the longer tail?

Also, what does 6S give you that my 3S setup lacks? What does more volts provide, or is it just that you have those packs so it's simpler?
I don't know about a FB setup, perhaps with the head sitting high enough there is enough clearance for 350's. Also I don't know how outrage measures their blades, I am running Tarot 360s, which are the same as rotortech 350s (it just depends if they measure total blade length or if they measure from the bolt hole). I have the Tarot DFC head and main shaft which lowers the head down to like 85mm blade to tail boom clearance, so I don't see any other way it would work for me except to have the tail stretched w/ the tarot 480 tt stretch kit. It's about 370mm from the end of the frame to where the beginning of the tail gearbox starts.

I also had a very iffy tail until I put the longer one on, I actually had it blow out during a pitch pump + 20mph wind @ 3000 head speed. But the Kbdd tail blades + thrusted tail which increases tail diameter have also improved tail authority, which I didn't have til after the stretch.

I mainly went 6s so that I could use the same packs with my 12s protos. But 6s also doesn't heat up the esc at all and in general seems like less bogging and heat on esc and motor.

But if you have a 3s setup you you're happy with, I don't see much reason to change it.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Last edited by flint723; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
I had a go at the computer set up today. Not much luck.
I set the tail servo limits then while on another screen the tail servo goes to max and jambs against the mechanical limits. Had to yank the tail servo plug out.
The swash wants to slowly move to full back cyclic when left alone for a few seconds.

I will have another go with the instructions printed and at my side. Perhaps then I can ask specific questions. At the moment I don't know what to ask.
I have been flying with flybars for 5>6 years. My bench set up's are usually very close and often don't even require tracking adjustments. Now I feel like a complete rookie/newbie/clueless fool. Eventually, I will get my head around this. I am not admitting defeat............................................ ..yet.

For now, I notice a "save" button on each page of the set up. Does this save to the G31, the computer or both? Seems I read somewhere here about something you have to do when finished to "write" everything to the G31.

Thanks
Kerry

Edit: Would it be worth the effort to read this thread again or more confusing because much has changed due the "updates". I noticed differences between what I have and what is presented in the video tutorials on youtube.
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 10, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:18 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
My understanding is the Save does nothing. It's for the future maybe. The setup gets written to the G31 when you click the Welcome tab I believe. It seems like when I click the Welcome, the G31's lights flash and do stuff.

The Performance tab updates directly to the G31 each time you change anything. You can see it in the bottom of the screen where it says "savings" or something like that.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:48 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
I set the tail servo limits then while on another screen the tail servo goes to max and jambs against the mechanical limits. Had to yank the tail servo plug out.
The swash wants to slowly move to full back cyclic when left alone for a few seconds.
It sounds as if you either have some trim or mixes enabled

Quote:
For now, I notice a "save" button on each page of the set up. Does this save to the G31, the computer or both? Seems I read somewhere here about something you have to do when finished to "write" everything to the G31.
I hit save occasionally and always hit next / finish when going through the set-up.

Quote:
Edit: Would it be worth the effort to read this thread again or more confusing because much has changed due the "updates". I noticed differences between what I have and what is presented in the video tutorials on youtube.
The videos are very good - I would still watch the videos if I were you, and if there are any bits that you don't understand as they have changed a lot then ask here
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
Blade Crasher, MikeHRC

Thank you gentlemen.
Kerry

I may have used sub trim to zero the bars in the programing for the G31. I will return all to neutral before starting the set up again.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
299 Posts
Gov problem

So does anyone know anything about how soon nitro gov mode will be supported?

I don't use nitro helis but the reason I'm asking is because I cannot use my Ice controllers with the robird governor. The Castle esc's have fixed endpoints and so does the robird... so they cannot be adjusted to match each other. But once nitro gov is supported, they will have to incorporate endpoint adjustment for the throttle servo, which I hope will be able to be used in electric mode too.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,259 Posts
Just as an experiment I lowered the cyclics from 333hz to 125hz without touching anything else.

No difference, heli flew exactly the same as far as I could tell.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:15 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
782 Posts
I have just gone through the set up process for the G31 on my KDS700V2.
First, a general question about mechanical binding or interference. I do not have anything hitting other parts ie: the swash does not bottom out on the frame or hit the head. There are situations such as full neg. collective with full cyclic deflection where the front servos will reach their limits while the back servo continues a little further (forward cyclic). Same thing with full aileron combined with full neg. or pos. pitch. One side will reach it's limit of movement before the other. These interactions are not seen at neutral collective.
Is this acceptable???
On the last page of set up you set up the cyclic ring. I don't know what to do with this. I have set it at 12 for now with a "round" ring. Suggestions???

Thanks
Kerry
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:47 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Kerry: I'm looking forward to explanations on this from the experts that monitor this thread. I tried to explain the same situation on my 450 but did a poor job of it. My swash does not hit anything, but at extreme collective, not all servos reach the same angle and swash moves in an odd way.

If that is something I should adjust with the e-ring - I can try. I left mine at the default settings and it's been flying fine.