HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
So,

I got a new spektrum rx with satellite. I bind it to DX8 with failsafe (all channels hold, throttle down). With rx+sat no problem.
Then I took the sat rx and put it to G31 SRX adapter. Works like the orange sat as well. But when I shut down the tx, nothing happened at all. ALL CHANNELS hold, throttle, too. That's very dangerous in my point of view. So be careful using sat rx even robird update the software (like Tarot did in ZYX-S 3.0).

Here's a quick video I took with my mobile:
G31 DSMX satellite failsafe (0 min 51 sec)

To show reactions of channel throttle I put a servo to this channel.
Saschi is offline Find More Posts by Saschi
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Deon,

Something else that might be worth trying is turning on Tx + heli, but disconnect the motor to esc wires, connect your computer to the G31 and have it on the monitor screen. Waggle all wires and switches and see if you see any unexpected inputs on the monitor - it probably won't show anything, but it might.

I've heard of the sat wires causing problems (not G31 specific)

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike. Will do. Do you think adding a receiver will compensate for a possibly faulty sat, or should I replace the sat with another?

Regards
Deon
deonjams is online now Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:57 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post
Thanks Mike. Will do. Do you think adding a receiver will compensate for a possibly faulty sat, or should I replace the sat with another?

Regards
Deon
Personally on a 550 I would rather have a Rx + sat, I know it should be the same as G31 + 2 sats, but just seems safer - can't explain why

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Personally on a 550 I would rather have a Rx + sat, I know it should be the same as G31 + 2 sats, but just seems safer - can't explain why

Cheers,
Mike
Me, too. When Robird fixes the Failsafe bug maybe two sats, but not with this software release.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:19 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post
So,

I got a new spektrum rx with satellite. I bind it to DX8 with failsafe (all channels hold, throttle down). With rx+sat no problem.
Then I took the sat rx and put it to G31 SRX adapter. Works like the orange sat as well. But when I shut down the tx, nothing happened at all. ALL CHANNELS hold, throttle, too. That's very dangerous in my point of view. So be careful using sat rx even robird update the software (like Tarot did in ZYX-S 3.0).

Here's a quick video I took with my mobile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TdcYygn1cg

That's strange - here's mine ...

video 2013 02 05 20 04 42 (0 min 24 sec)

Set up is DX7 + G31 with DSMX sat
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
So,

Here's a quick video I took with my mobile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TdcYygn1cg

You need to use an ESC for this test, the servo did not move because G31 is not giving any signal to it. Most ESC will cut the throttle when there is no valid signal received so the throttle actually will cut like the video MikeHRC has posted.
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLeg View Post
You need to use an ESC for this test, the servo did not move because G31 is not giving any signal to it. Most ESC will cut the throttle when there is no valid signal received so the throttle actually will cut like the video MikeHRC has posted.
This is a good idea. Will check this... But what about nitro helis? They use throttle servos...

Thanks.
Last edited by Saschi; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
598 Posts
Quote:

Cheers,
Mike
Sorry wasn't too clear in my note - I will definitely add a rx (authentic Spektrum), question is whether this will compensate for a possibly faulty sat (the one that was fitted without rx that had a failure) or should I change the sat too? I will always use rx + sat in future on all my helis 500 and up
deonjams is online now Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:24 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Problem! I can't get past page 1 on the computer set up. As mentioned it wants to know the Hz (hertz?) for the swash servos. I have spent hours searching the net and cannot find this info. I have found some info I am hoping will help one of you electronics guys tell me what I need.
(Bluebird BMS820DMG+HS)
>digital motor drive with ultra square PWM signal.
>automatic determination of servo centre pulse width.
>deadband width- 2usec
>Direction- Re-clockwise pulse traveling at 1200>1600usec
All of this means nothing to me.

Alternately> can I just pick the middle setting and go with it??
I don't want to burn out servos or cause them to be slower or weaker. What is the risk of using the wrong setting?

Thanks in advance if you can help.
Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 05, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:55 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
When in doubt always use the lowest Hertz rating to avoid overheating your servos.

The Servo Database is a good tool but it doesn't list the needed info for you so the best option is to contact the manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Problem! I can't get past page 1 on the computer set up. As mentioned it wants to know the Hz (hertz?) for the swash servos. I have spent hours searching the net and cannot find this info. I have found some info I am hoping will help one of you electronics guys tell me what I need.
(Bluebird BMS820DMG+HS)
>digital motor drive with ultra square PWM signal.
>automatic determination of servo centre pulse width.
>deadband width- 2usec
>Direction- Re-clockwise pulse traveling at 1200>1600usec
All of this means nothing to me.

Alternately> can I just pick the middle setting and go with it??
I don't want to burn out servos or cause them to be slower or weaker. What is the risk of using the wrong setting?

Thanks in advance if you can help.
Kerry
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:26 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
When in doubt always use the lowest Hertz rating to avoid overheating your servos.

The Servo Database is a good tool but it doesn't list the needed info for you so the best option is to contact the manufacturer.
Thank you SD, I sent an email to "Bluebird" requesting the info. (I didn't think of that)
Am I safe to use the lowest digital setting (for set up only)if they are slow to respond. Chinese New Year now I think.

Kerry
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
This is a good idea. Will check this... But what about nitro helis? They use throttle servos...

Thanks.
There is no advantage for nitro to use sat only as the in-built governor does not work with nitro at the moment. So it is recommended to use external rx (with failsafe) on nitro machines but if you really want to go that route a throttle return spring will do the trick too. Which is even better as it will cut the throttle even when the rx pack lost its power.
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:37 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post
Sorry wasn't too clear in my note - I will definitely add a rx (authentic Spektrum), question is whether this will compensate for a possibly faulty sat (the one that was fitted without rx that had a failure) or should I change the sat too? I will always use rx + sat in future on all my helis 500 and up
Using a good receiver would probably mask the faulty sat, but if you think that it is faulty - why use it???. Use a good one and send the faulty one back to HH for fixing
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:38 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
whoops - mix up
Last edited by MikeHRC; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:38 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Thank you SD, I sent an email to "Bluebird" requesting the info. (I didn't think of that)
Am I safe to use the lowest digital setting (for set up only)if they are slow to respond. Chinese New Year now I think.

Kerry

Got my reply from Bluebird, 250Hz
Thanks again SD
Kerry