Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:13 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Post 1183 pg79 is most of it (for now)
I am usuing a Spektrum DX7 tx and the 7ch Orange RX with fail safe.

Now 2:20AM here, work at 7 I will check back tomorow PM

Thanks
Kerry
Kerry,

You would probably get more help if you made it easier for people to help you - the original post has the questions in amongst lots of information and when Deon asked what the questions you had are, you just say to look at the prvious post - you're not making it easy

Quote:
If I have it right, I will connect ail.+ele. from receiver to G31 using all 3 wires (+,-,s), this is the (6V)power supply to the swash.
Correct - use the cables provided with the G31

Quote:
Gyro and col.(aux1 on receiver)use signal only.
Sorry - I don't understand the question here - if you look in the G31 manual thee are drawings of the connections

Quote:
Then rec. rudder to srx2/rud on the G31 (3 wires).This is rud. signal and additional required power supply. The tail servo (Futaba 9254) plugs into the G31 port with an inline volt.reg.
Correct

Quote:
6V power supply to the rec. is from an SBEC fed by a 3S 1000mah lipo.
Down to personal preference, but that sounds good for a big hel

Quote:
Additional questions if anyone knows.
> I have the RPM sensor but do not see where or how to hook it up. Is there any purpose to this other than gov. control ie: is it recorded. I do not intend to use the govenor as I have no experience with them and have done OK in the past using throt. curves. I fly mild 3D no smack.
The sensor is only for the G31 governor - you can only use this if you are using sats from the G31 not a full receiver

Quote:
>The sat.receivers are 3 conductor connections. Can I solder up a "Y" harness and use 2 sat's into the single receiver port?? (ie: 3 receivers) Sounds good but I don't know enough about electronics to know if it will work.
I don't think, so but I am not sure - from my understanding the G31 would see each sat as a separate connection and would prioritise signals from either based upon teh quality of the signal - putting sats in parallel would not work in this case.

Quote:
>Opinions on the "Orange" receivers?? I have an AR7000 I could swap out of a glider. It's a bit of work but this KDS700 is by far the most $$$ I have ever put into 1 bird.
I always use my best equipment on my best and most expensive helis - having a 700 size heli out of control doesn't bear thinking about

HTH.
Mike.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:18 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Kerry,

You would probably get more help if you made it easier for people to help you - the original post has the questions in amongst lots of information and when Deon asked what the questions you had are, you just say to look at the prvious post - you're not making it easy

Correct - use the cables provided with the G31

Sorry - I don't understand the question here - if you look in the G31 manual thee are drawings of the connections

Correct

Down to personal preference, but that sounds good for a big hel

The sensor is only for the G31 governor - you can only use this if you are using sats from the G31 not a full receiver

I don't think, so but I am not sure - from my understanding the G31 would see each sat as a separate connection and would prioritise signals from either based upon teh quality of the signal - putting sats in parallel would not work in this case.

I always use my best equipment on my best and most expensive helis - having a 700 size heli out of control doesn't bear thinking about

HTH.
Mike.
Thank you very much Mike. Sorry about the "refer to" post it was very late and I was packing it in for the night. In future I will try to present questions as a list if I have a bunch. Thanks for the pointers on that.

Re ail and ele connections "correct" thank you

Re rud gain and pitch/aux. Just wanted to confirm these are signal only (no +or-) wires

Re rud and tail servo "correct" thank you

Re 6Vpower supply. This was info only (how I am supplying power and the voltage) in case it mattered for my questions.

Re gov.and RPM sensor> will not be used. Thank you

Re parallel sat.s >My intention was to plug this into the receiver not the G31 but from what you say that probably won't work there either.

Re Orange RX> although I have never had a problem with one, I agree and will use the Spektrum AR7000.

I have about 5years of R/C heli flying but no FBL experience.
Thanks for taking so much time on this, you efforts are much appreciated and I will heed your posting advice.

Thanks Mike
Kerry
Helitime is online now Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:10 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLeg View Post
You cannot use the S.bus of the Orange 7ch RX unless your TX can re-assigned the channels because it is outputting Spektrum channels arrangment, different from true Futaba S.bus signal.
Got it
Thank you
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:11 AM
Joined Dec 2011
665 Posts
My limited experience with Orange receivers has been mixed -

- with a receiver on a HK250fbl paired with a zyx-s, which has been great so far
- with a single sat on a HK550fbl, paired with a g31, and Kerry knows the disastrous result of that one (most likely comms failure), probably due to the esc bec being overloaded. I will hopefully have time to test the "failsafe" tomorrow, to see the mode it failed to, which will confirm the comms failure, and the behavior

I do agree to what seems to be good conventions for heli's 500 and up:

- use a receiver and sat
- use a separate ubec (on 500-550 solder ubec 3-7A, 2-6S connection to main battery in parallel to esc, on 600 upwards separate 3S receiver battery + ubec 8-15A)
- for those helis of better quality use original quality equipment (Spektrum/JR/Futaba radio/receivers/sat on Align etc), for clones ok to use Orange receivers/sat. Nobody likes losing any heli though, even the clones, but I am still to have Orange fail on me. Don't understand why Orange sometimes runs a solid orange light, or sometimes blinks, but both fly the same, no comms issue

Kerry - Think Mike answered most of your queries re wiring. Let us know what else you may want to clarify
deonjams is online now Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:23 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post
My limited experience with Orange receivers has been mixed -

- with a receiver on a HK250fbl paired with a zyx-s, which has been great so far
- with a single sat on a HK550fbl, paired with a g31, and Kerry knows the disastrous result of that one (most likely comms failure), probably due to the esc bec being overloaded. I will hopefully have time to test the "failsafe" tomorrow, to see the mode it failed to, which will confirm the comms failure, and the behavior

I do agree to what seems to be good conventions for heli's 500 and up:

- use a receiver and sat
- use a separate ubec (on 500-550 solder ubec 3-7A, 2-6S connection to main battery in parallel to esc, on 600 upwards separate 3S receiver battery + ubec 8-15A)
- for those helis of better quality use original quality equipment (Spektrum/JR/Futaba radio/receivers/sat on Align etc), for clones ok to use Orange receivers/sat. Nobody likes losing any heli though, even the clones, but I am still to have Orange fail on me. Don't understand why Orange sometimes runs a solid orange light, or sometimes blinks, but both fly the same, no comms issue

Kerry - Think Mike answered most of your queries re wiring. Let us know what else you may want to clarify
Thanks DJ

Good for now I think, thank you.
My BEC is a 10A cont. 15A burst.
Re flashing receiver. I have found anytime I REconnect power to the receiver without waiting about 5 mins since last power on, I get the flashing rec. both Orange and Spektrum. I think the rec. is seeing it as a power/signal loss and just needs more "power off time" to properly reset. The falshing does not seem to affect range or anything else I can find. I believe it's the receivers way of showing there was a problem.

Thanks again
Kerry

Oops, found one we missed. Any issues with my selected mounting locations for the electronics from pics in post #1183.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Thanks DJ

Good for now I think, thank you.
My BEC is a 10A cont. 15A burst.
Re flashing receiver. I have found anytime I REconnect power to the receiver without waiting about 5 mins since last power on, I get the flashing rec. both Orange and Spektrum. I think the rec. is seeing it as a power/signal loss and just needs more "power off time" to properly reset. The falshing does not seem to affect range or anything else I can find. I believe it's the receivers way of showing there was a problem.

Thanks again
Kerry

Oops, found one we missed. Any issues with my selected mounting locations for the electronics from pics in post #1183.
Yes, Orange and Spectrum are blinking if signal loss. Switch off and on tx and then model, then the light is always on again. This should show you if some packets in flight are lost.

G31 Failsafe: Talked to Scott from Robird USA and he said, rx has to handle the failsafe. But orange sat rx can't do this. So be careful with only two satellite rx.
Saschi is offline Find More Posts by Saschi
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:30 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
I thought we where supposed to get wiser with age?
It's not working for me

I just spent 2 hours with an AR7000 that would not power up even though it worked in the glider I yanked it from. Minor breakage to the case trying to get it open, couldn't find anything wrong (I don't know electronics). It did finally hit me
Said to self, BIND PLUG you dumb a_ _. Dam I feel stupid 2 Hours!!

Everything is hooked up. Time to read up on the computer stuff and start setting it up. Then the questions will fly

Kerry

Edit: The Orange RX's light up right away.
OK Thats my excuse.
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:29 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
Downloaded the program, plugged in the G31, it says I have the latest version.
Proceeded to the set up guide...."Receiver" I tried both DSM settings but nothing seems to work (I am using a DX7 with an AR7000)I thought that was DSM. What should I set it to?? What ever PWM is, it shows the connections I am using.

Tried the next step......Servos (swash) 1.5ms@125hz or 250hz or 333hz I can't find this info on the servo box. Same for the tail, I searched the net for this info for my Futaba 9254.
My swash servos are "Bluebird BMS-820 DMG+HS"
What settings should I use or where to find this info??

Thanks
Kerry
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:32 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Not sure about bluebirds, maybe at servodatabase.com but there is this for other servos:

http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli/HELP_SERVO_PULSE.html

Don't you setup the RX mode with PwM settings? DSM is for SAT only I think, if I remember correctly.
Blade Crasher is online now Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Downloaded the program, plugged in the G31, it says I have the latest version.
Proceeded to the set up guide...."Receiver" I tried both DSM settings but nothing seems to work (I am using a DX7 with an AR7000)I thought that was DSM. What should I set it to?? What ever PWM is, it shows the connections I am using.

Tried the next step......Servos (swash) 1.5ms@125hz or 250hz or 333hz I can't find this info on the servo box. Same for the tail, I searched the net for this info for my Futaba 9254.
My swash servos are "Bluebird BMS-820 DMG+HS"
What settings should I use or where to find this info??

Thanks
Kerry
You should set it to PWM since you are using external receiver.
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:26 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
Blade Crasher: The link got me what I needed for the 9254. Still searching on the Bluebirds.
Thank you!

PhantomLeg PWM it is. Thank you! ( what is PWM anyway or what does it stand for?) Just out of interest.

Thanks again
Kerry
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:36 AM
Joined Dec 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Blade Crasher: The link got me what I needed for the 9254. Still searching on the Bluebirds.
Thank you!

PhantomLeg PWM it is. Thank you! ( what is PWM anyway or what does it stand for?) Just out of interest.

Thanks again
Kerry
Pulse Width Modulation - wireless transmission signal type. Sure the comms experts here will give more detail if you need.

There was a link previously posted on a fbl system and servo types. Did not list Turnigy so I had to experiment and use servo setup that I thought was closest to that listed. Can't find link now and hope someone else (Scott?) can help - will keep looking.

Just tested my failsafe (setup is G31 with one sat) with switching radio off, and it stays where it is - does not move at all. So this means I did not have radio comms failure as the major issue (I was close to the heli). Will test simulating BEC failure next and see what happens. Wish I could have more time to do complete testing...

Deon
Last edited by deonjams; Feb 05, 2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Oyes - it was the BeastX website for servo types and setup
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:38 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Pulse Width Modulation - wireless transmission signal type. Sure the comms experts here will give more detail if you need.

There was a link previously posted on a fbl system and servo types. Did not list Turnigy so I had to experiment and use servo setup that I thought was closest to that listed. Can't find link now and hope someone else (Scott?) can help - will keep looking.

Just tested my failsafe (setup is G31 with one sat) with switching radio off, and it stays where it is - does not move at all. So this means I did not have radio comms failure as the major issue (I was close to the heli). Will test simulating BEC failure next and see what happens. Wish I could have more time to do complete testing...

Deon

Thanks for the reply and good luck with the testing. I wouldn't want to fly that bird without finding the problem first.
Kerry
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply and good luck with the testing. I wouldn't want to fly that bird without finding the problem first.
Kerry
Tested BEC failure by unplugging - heli just goes dead without any swash movement. So have not found root cause of sudden full pitch. Something in the combination of the G31 and the Sat. So will fit Spektrum receiver plus Orange Sat, 3-7A UBEC, replace all main drive parts with Align items, and carefully balance all blades. Then find a wide open space with no trees (doesn't exist in Philippines) and see what happens. I really liked this heli and its setup, and it seemed to have very good potential as a good value build. Hope not to be disappointed
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:32 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Quote:
Tested BEC failure by unplugging - heli just goes dead without any swash movement. So have not found root cause of sudden full pitch. Something in the combination of the G31 and the Sat. So will fit Spektrum receiver plus Orange Sat, 3-7A UBEC, replace all main drive parts with Align items, and carefully balance all blades. Then find a wide open space with no trees (doesn't exist in Philippines) and see what happens. I really liked this heli and its setup, and it seemed to have very good potential as a good value build. Hope not to be disappointed
Deon,

Something else that might be worth trying is turning on Tx + heli, but disconnect the motor to esc wires, connect your computer to the G31 and have it on the monitor screen. Waggle all wires and switches and see if you see any unexpected inputs on the monitor - it probably won't show anything, but it might.

I've heard of the sat wires causing problems (not G31 specific)

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC