HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, MI, East Lansing
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
Hey guys, just finished setting this up for my Protos 500 and since it's too cold and windy lately to fly i've been fiddling and going over it. I went and adjusted the endpoints for the rudder gain channel to match the units output so when it says 50% AVCS so does my transmitter. So now I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure for the tail gain so i'm in the neighborhood for the maiden. Preferably what the unit says in the calibration menu. I'm leaving everything else at the default sport settings for the maiden. Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to better weather.
airbasher is offline Find More Posts by airbasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:22 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbasher View Post
Hey guys, just finished setting this up for my Protos 500 and since it's too cold and windy lately to fly i've been fiddling and going over it. I went and adjusted the endpoints for the rudder gain channel to match the units output so when it says 50% AVCS so does my transmitter. So now I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure for the tail gain so i'm in the neighborhood for the maiden. Preferably what the unit says in the calibration menu. I'm leaving everything else at the default sport settings for the maiden. Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to better weather.
I have the G31 on my Protos, but to be honest unless we are running exactly the same set-up sharing numbers is not very relevant - I would start at about 40 ish and see how that is, if you have wag drop a few points, otherwise keep raining it until it wags then drop a few.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Failsafe works fine
What do you use? Spektrum satellite receivers or a standard receiver.
When i bind the sat with help of a standard receiver with failsafe, the sat only on G31 can't manage the failsafe. So for all who are planing to use two satellite receivers... think about it...
Saschi is offline Find More Posts by Saschi
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post
When i bind the sat with help of a standard receiver with failsafe, the sat only on G31 can't manage the failsafe. So for all who are planing to use two satellite receivers... think about it...
Sounds like this could have been my problem - no failsafe when my sat lost power. Will bench test (after disconnecting wires Kerry)
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:38 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post
Sounds like this could have been my problem - no failsafe when my sat lost power. Will bench test (after disconnecting wires Kerry)
No insults intended from here, I was responding to the gentlemans first post.
First post is "often or at least sometimes" someone new to R/C so I started with safety first, just in case. It would now seem that Saschi already knows more than me, but no harm done.

I wuz jus tryn ta help

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:45 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
Just noticed my rec.(Orange RX 7ch with fail safe) has an "S Bus" jack. Should I use the S Bus connection method or the standard rec.>G31 hook up. Is there any advantage to one method or the other ?
(I have just finished watching the 18 tutorial vids on youtube)

Thanks
Kerry
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 03, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:05 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschi View Post
Spektrum DSMX sat (running DSM2) in this case - I tested again yesterday. Switched it all on, turned off Tx and it just sits there, admittedly the motor wasn't on at the time - I can try that if you like. What symptoms are you seeing ?.

I also have a Protos using the G31 with a full receiver - but in that case the Rx will be managing the failsafe - unless I am mis-understanding what you mean by failsafe
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:20 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,065 Posts
Quick update - I just checked my failsafe works fine - started up heli, motor running, turn off Tx, motor stops.

The failsafe is usually be set when you bind the rx / sat to the Tx, did you bind with the throttle at zero?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Quick update - I just checked my failsafe works fine - started up heli, motor running, turn off Tx, motor stops.

The failsafe is usually be set when you bind the rx / sat to the Tx, did you bind with the throttle at zero?
I tried orange satellite rx. Binding with zero throttle. Powered on tx and heli, turned off tx and throttle does not go to zero. Will try DSMx origin rx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helitime View Post
Just noticed my rec.(Orange RX 7ch with fail safe) has an "S Bus" jack. Should I use the S Bus connection method or the standard rec.>G31 hook up. Is there any advantage to one method or the other ?

Thanks
Kerry
Sbus you only use one wire to G31. Just easier to wire it up.
Will geht r710 too to get failsafe if DSMx satellite can't handle the failsafe.

It was my first post, right. But I fly heli for two years now... ;-)
Saschi is offline Find More Posts by Saschi
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:52 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Sbus you only use one wire to G31. Just easier to wire it up.
Will geht r710 too to get failsafe if DSMx satellite can't handle the failsafe.

It was my first post, right. But I fly heli for two years now... ;-)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Saschi, Sbus it is.

I was the same, reading RC Groups for several years and flying longer before I made my first post.

Kerry
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
633 Posts
Quote:
No insults intended from here, I was responding to the gentlemans first post.
First post is "often or at least sometimes" someone new to R/C so I started with safety first, just in case. It would now seem that Saschi already knows more than me, but no harm done.

I wuz jus tryn ta help

Kerry
None taken Was just acknowledging a useful reminder to us all, and best to write as if the general reader may not know
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:37 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
Quote:
None taken Was just acknowledging a useful reminder to us all, and best to write as if the general reader may not know
Thank you sir

Now it's off to find all the servo info etc. required for set up while I wait for answers to my questions here. I hope "Beenflying" comes back soon. Seems he's the answer guy (not to knock anyone else here) If you have answers I'm listening!

Kerry
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Dec 2011
633 Posts
Quote:
Thank you sir

Now it's off to find all the servo info etc. required for set up while I wait for answers to my questions here. I hope "Beenflying" comes back soon. Seems he's the answer guy (not to knock anyone else here) If you have answers I'm listening!

Kerry
Remind us of your current questions that still require answers? Time constraints always a challenge and good when others respond with possible answers, relevant to their experience. I understood s bus as a Futaba and associated equipment standard (like Spektrum, JR being DSMX/S) but it appears from above this is incorrect. We learn as we go along. Learning to fly easier with ARF's but understanding and building another challenge. Good thing I am not learning on my more expensive heli's such as Align 550 and 700 DFC's, which are still happily waiting for their build turn, as I play around with the Blade and HK models
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:20 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
771 Posts
Quote:
Remind us of your current questions that still require answers? Time constraints always a challenge and good when others respond with possible answers, relevant to their experience. I understood s bus as a Futaba and associated equipment standard (like Spektrum, JR being DSMX/S) but it appears from above this is incorrect. We learn as we go along. Learning to fly easier with ARF's but understanding and building another challenge. Good thing I am not learning on my more expensive heli's such as Align 550 and 700 DFC's, which are still happily waiting for their build turn, as I play around with the Blade and HK models
Post 1183 pg79 is most of it (for now)
I am usuing a Spektrum DX7 tx and the 7ch Orange RX with fail safe.

Now 2:20AM here, work at 7 I will check back tomorow PM

Thanks
Kerry
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:08 AM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Kerry
You cannot use the S.bus of the Orange 7ch RX unless your TX can re-assigned the channels because it is outputting Spektrum channels arrangment, different from true Futaba S.bus signal.
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg