to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:58 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Altough I have a ALZRC 3GY 2.0 sensor and because I don't have any Srx cables I have to wire it using the Futaba wiring.

I'm really missing something on the RS/GainPitAx lead; top and middle wire plugged into top and middle > top (signal) from sensor to top (signal) on receiver ch5. Now does the RS/GainPitAx middle lead from sensor go to the receiver middle lead on the receiver ch6 or the top signal pin?
I'm on Spektrum rather than Futaba, but I'm sure the principle is the same ... on the RS/GainPitAX lead the pins are not Signal / Positive / Negative lead like most servo leads, but it is a Signal / Signal / Signal lead - so the middle lead goes to the top signal pin in the receiver.

Hope this makes sense,
Mike.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:12 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I'm on Spektrum rather than Futaba, but I'm sure the principle is the same ... on the RS/GainPitAX lead the pins are not Signal / Positive / Negative lead like most servo leads, but it is a Signal / Signal / Signal lead - so the middle lead goes to the top signal pin in the receiver. Hope this makes sense, Mike.
Quote:
Thanks Mike, it does make sense and that's the only config I didn't try...
Actually, I did try that and its still a NOGO the esc arms but the servos do not move, Maybe a bad unit..... however; it does connect via usb. Guess I'll table this untill I get the new unit.
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 AM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Chinese New Years holiday

Guys:

Chinese New Year is starting soon and many of the Chinese people close their businesses to return home to their families for the entire holiday period. Chinese New Years generally lasts 3 to 4 weeks, starting in late January and going through February.

I've got some Robird G31 stock here in the U.S. and I'm working on getting a little more from Robird before they close for the holiday. Therefore the available G31s that I have will be on a first-come, first served basis and hopefully I'll have enough to last through the holiday period. RobirdUSA will be available during this period for you.

Thanks,

Scott
RobirdUSA
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:28 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,330 Posts
Thanks Scott - I just bought one.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
Guys:

Chinese New Year is starting soon and many of the Chinese people close their businesses to return home to their families for the entire holiday period. Chinese New Years generally lasts 3 to 4 weeks, starting in late January and going through February.

I've got some Robird G31 stock here in the U.S. and I'm working on getting a little more from Robird before they close for the holiday. Therefore the available G31s that I have will be on a first-come, first served basis and hopefully I'll have enough to last through the holiday period. RobirdUSA will be available during this period for you.

Thanks,

Scott
RobirdUSA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:35 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Thanks Scott - I just ordered one also.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:39 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Flint: What is a phase sensor?

I just ordered the Robird today. Finally going to give this FBL stuff a try.

Any chance that my Orange Sat units will work in the Robird, or does it need to be an "official" Spektrum Sat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I think the robird has the advantage as far as price/features ratio. Vib analysis, built in gov, phase sensor included, 2 sat adapters included, for $93 shipped from the USA.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:49 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post

Any chance that my Orange Sat units will work in the Robird, or does it need to be an "official" Spektrum Sat?
It's an rpm sensor to detect the speed of the brushless motor. For using the proactive governor on the G31.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=369072

I don't know, I think orange sats should work. Maybe someone else who has used them with this unit could chime in.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
779 Posts
Finally finished reading this thread. I am hoping this info makes more sense when I have the unit in hand. It's in the mail, along with the ESC, BEC etc. to finish my KDS 700V2. Build is complete and head/tail are set up with servos centered.

First question. I know what RPM is PPM and PMW have me guessing though.
Thanks
Kerry
P.S. I just finished setting up a KDS EBar on an HK500 but only got in a very short hover test (it's too dammed cold) so my FBL experience is pretty much nil.
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Last edited by Helitime; Jan 22, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:01 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
I'm on Spektrum rather than Futaba, but I'm sure the principle is the same ... on the RS/GainPitAX lead the pins are not Signal / Positive / Negative lead like most servo leads, but it is a Signal / Signal / Signal lead - so the middle lead goes to the top signal pin in the receiver. Hope this makes sense, Mike.
Quote:
Thanks Mike, it does make sense and that's the only config I didn't try...
Actually, I did try that and its still a NOGO the esc arms but the servos do not move, Maybe a bad unit..... however; it does connect via usb. Guess I'll table this untill I get the new unit from Scott at RoBirdUSA.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it does work with the orange sat but you have to bind it to your tx first using an external rx before connecting to the G31 through the SRX adapter.
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:38 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
Thanks Phantom for the info on the Orange SAT setup.

Is there a way to do any adjustment of the gyro at the field when flying without bringing your laptop along? I downloaded the English manual but it's all about using the software which seems to make the process fairly easy. But what do others do when they are off flying and want to try a change in some settings?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:34 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Actually, I did try that and its still a NOGO the esc arms but the servos do not move, Maybe a bad unit..... however; it does connect via usb. Guess I'll table this untill I get the new unit from Scott at RoBirdUSA.
How are you powering the servos ? The USB won't power them - you need a power source connected to the G31 (BEC or ESC) and if you are using sats rather than an RX you will need to provide power to the tail servo also (as it is on a separate power bus, so that you can run teh cyclics at 6V and the tail at 4.8V).

WHoops - sorry just saw that you are using an ESC - so the cyclic servos shoud work
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:04 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Transmitter setup for G31

Quote:
Thanks Phantom for the info on the Orange SAT setup.

Is there a way to do any adjustment of the gyro at the field when flying without bringing your laptop along? I downloaded the English manual but it's all about using the software which seems to make the process fairly easy. But what do others do when they are off flying and want to try a change in some settings?
BC:

Here's a copy of the older manual for the G31 that describes how to use your transmitter sticks to set up the Robird. The "Adjust menu" is helpful when making some adjustments at the field.

I've done them both and have found that the software setup process allows me to make finer adjustments than a transmitter stick setup during the initial set-up of the G-31. At the field though it's nice to have the "Adjust menu" to level the swashplate.

If you've set up a BeastX in the past you'll find that there are several similarities.

Scott
RobirdUSA
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post

Scott
RobirdUSA
Hello Scott

Had an interesting problem today, potentially catastrophic, but luckily just minor damage on my new 550 clone (Hobbyking 550 FBL TT). Need your experienced input before I fly this one again. DX8, Robird G31 FBL system fitted with one Orange satellite, no receiver, Hobbywing Funfly 100A esc.

First ran up slowly testing all functions, then ran up to about 40% throttle. Still on ground after 4 minutes of spinning, all seems normal, moving rudder side to side to check responses, when suddenly it takes off straight up (means the gyros are working - one good thing). Closed throttle as in normal mode (and not TH as this could cause it to come straight down with -10 pitch), and only after about 2 seconds (could have been shorter, but when things are going wrong seems like an eternity) does it slow down, and as I stand there in a shocked and frozen state, it ends up in a tree where it hung until I got a ladder to remove it (thus the "minor" damage - blades, canopy, landing skid, main and tail shafts, tail boom, all damaged from hitting the tree). What could have caused this? I replaced all the servo snap links as they were really poor quality, as one failed even before spinning up the motor (servo moved on powering up and it snapped...), but even if this failed the heli would stay down (and probably tilt and have a blade strike). It went straight up, as if full pitch was given, no increase in motor speed noticed (as would be the case if F mode was switched by accident). Pitch setup for testing in normal is mild (35-70%), definitely did not touch any switches. There was quite a bit of vibration even present without blades (the main gear was oval, but for initial testing thought it ok while waiting for spares to arrive)

I do remember it going full pitch without input once during setting up, but I could not replicate the incident. Any comments would be appreciated.
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Last edited by deonjams; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:08 AM.