Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:25 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
782 Posts
I want an app to do it from my android phone. A guy can dream, right?
krefi is offline Find More Posts by krefi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:28 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,653 Posts
I'd rather dream about fitness models....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I bet the TX manufacturers would love that!

You must be an exception to the rule - most people complain about having to program the controller with a pc, but you want more tabs in the program!
They said they will eventually have a smartphone app for this though.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I bet the TX manufacturers would love that!

You must be an exception to the rule - most people complain about having to program the controller with a pc, but you want more tabs in the program!
I can think of a few uses for this. Like a planker with a 5 channel radio wants to give helicopters a try or using it in an RTF package to lower the radio cost.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Flew 3 full packs on the G31 installed on the VWINRC 450 Pro. It flew well but not as precise and crisp as the HB800.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:26 AM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Flew 3 full packs on the G31 installed on the VWINRC 450 Pro. It flew well but not as precise and crisp as the HB800.
What settings are you using on the G31?
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
AS....Your setting are actually a good start for setting up my 450Pro FBL. Thank you..I made a few minor changes
Increased agility to 1600 for elevator and aileron
Increased ele/ail roll rate to 22
Increased swash stop to 120
Added about -20 expo all around.

Seems to work fine with my TGY-211DMH cyclic servos, however I think I might have developed a problem with the ESC. I keep getting random servo movements causing the heli to go down sharply almost like a reset. I'm thinking the BEC is not keeping up (hopefully not the G31). Also noticed the ESC has a slight delay before responding to throttle hold/cut. I ordered an AE-45 and will also replace the rx to be safe.
Same as AS with only the changes above. It kinda feels like I am dangling the heli from a string at times.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:34 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
782 Posts
Quote:
Seems to work fine with my TGY-211DMH cyclic servos, however I think I might have developed a problem with the ESC. I keep getting random servo movements causing the heli to go down sharply almost like a reset. I'm thinking the BEC is not keeping up (hopefully not the G31). Also noticed the ESC has a slight delay before responding to throttle hold/cut. I ordered an AE-45 and will also replace the rx to be safe.
I get some of these random servo twitches too. I don't think it's related to the ESC because I'm not using the govenor and I have an external BEC running 6V to HS65 cyclic servos.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:29 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi View Post
I get some of these random servo twitches too. I don't think it's related to the ESC because I'm not using the govenor and I have an external BEC running 6V to HS65 cyclic servos.

I had some weird twithes in the servos allso when the weather was cold and dry. I ran a ground wire from the tail to the boom and moter mount and so far everything works fine.
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi View Post
That was another isolated problem. Broken shield ground on the board for the rx. Installed new rx and all is fine..
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:03 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
You may have your Ail and Ele Pitc Gains set too low. Try increasing both gains until you see the heli twitch or oscillate. When you see this occur, back off the gains a little bit until it stops. The heli will feel a lot more locked in and not so sluggish or disconnected when you input a stick command.

It's important to make sure these gains are properly set before making any adjustments in the Performance tab of the software.
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:33 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prop bender View Post
I had some weird twithes in the servos allso when the weather was cold and dry. I ran a ground wire from the tail to the boom and moter mount and so far everything works fine.
Yeah, I did the ground wire thing already.

Quote:
That was another isolated problem. Broken shield ground on the board for the rx. Installed new rx and all is fine..
I'm not sure I understand "Broken shield ground on the board for the rx" and why installing a new receiver would fix that? For what it's worth, I'm using a full AR6100e receiver. So you think I might have a defective unit, and if so is it user repairable? It's not really a debilitating problem (so not likely I would try to send it back to HiModel) but kind of unsettling, so I'm never really flying with full confidence.

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Krefi...i use a Turnigy 9x radio with 6 channel hobbyking rx. The rx uses a single coaxial antenna that has a ground shield beneath the insulation. Where the shielding is soldered to the rx board was broken. Considering I paid 10 bucks for the rx and I have a spare safer for me to trash it and install a new one. I'm not that great at repairing those antenna leads.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
You may have your Ail and Ele Pitc Gains set too low. Try increasing both gains until you see the heli twitch or oscillate. When you see this occur, back off the gains a little bit until it stops. The heli will feel a lot more locked in and not so sluggish or disconnected when you input a stick command.

It's important to make sure these gains are properly set before making any adjustments in the Performance tab of the software.
I have them set at the 2 o clock position. The heli response is very fast but it just doesn't feel as natural to me. I will drop the roll rates to 21 but should I increase agility from 1600 to a higher setting or decrease?
Last edited by ridge_racer; Jan 09, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:25 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
782 Posts
Quote:
Krefi...i use a Turnigy 9x radio with 6 channel hobbyking rx. The rx uses a single coaxial antenna that has a ground shield beneath the insulation. Where the shielding is soldered to the rx board was broken. Considering I paid 10 bucks for the rx and I have a spare safer for me to trash it and install a new one. I'm not that great at repairing those antenna leads.
Gotcha. Thanks. I've got a couple other receivers I might try for kicks then (6 channel orange and a ar6200 laying around).