HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Finally got the tail perfect today.

Tarot 500 ESP belt drive tail, 16000kv SK3 Helidrive motor with 12t pinion (2400 rpm governed headspeed at 85%) Rudder servo is an HK47110MG (aka Blue Arrow DMS47110MG)

YEP80A settings:

Governer on, Freewheel on, P-gain 0.7, I-gain 0.03 PWM frequency 10khz, timing auto, statup power 4%. P-gain and I-gain had to be lowered by 1 step each to prevent yaw on hard climbs due to the governor regulating speed too aggressively this is less of a problem with higher headspeeds but for 2400 RPM it was necessary.

Gyro settings:

Lowered P-gain was needed to prevent an occasional slight wag on hard climbs but with gyro gain increased to 85-90% (radio uses a 50-100 scale for heading hold mode) and piro brake increased to CCW:3 and CW:4 piro stops were actually improved over the previous settings.

Tail neutral position is set to 0 degrees on the tail blades, 100% travel in both directions.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
602 Posts
I powered up my G31 today. It has software rev 98c. I have a DSMX sat rx. Found it will not bind to the G31. I understand I need to find a RX that wil accept a DSMX sat and bind it to the TX through the doner RX. Is there any other way of doing the binding to the TX? OR am I going to be forced to purchase a new RX that has sat ports?

When I power the G31 up the orange led on the RX flashes two or three times in rapid succession and goes out. LED 3 on the G31 comes on and blinks 8 times and goes out as LED 1 comes on steady. I have NO power to the servos.

I have a AR7200BX with DSMX sat on my Christmas list and I think it is under the tree. Will I be able to bind the sat Rx I plan on using with the G31 with the AR7200BX or will I need something like the AR6210.

Obviously the boot sequence has failed. Is it dead because of lack of a bind on the Rx or is it something else?

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:19 AM
Malaysian Flier
Selangor, Malaysia
Joined Jan 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Finally got the tail perfect today.

Tarot 500 ESP belt drive tail, 16000kv SK3 Helidrive motor with 12t pinion (2400 rpm governed headspeed at 85%) Rudder servo is an HK47110MG (aka Blue Arrow DMS47110MG)

YEP80A settings:

Governer on, Freewheel on, P-gain 0.7, I-gain 0.03 PWM frequency 10khz, timing auto, statup power 4%. P-gain and I-gain had to be lowered by 1 step each to prevent yaw on hard climbs due to the governor regulating speed too aggressively this is less of a problem with higher headspeeds but for 2400 RPM it was necessary.

Gyro settings:

Lowered P-gain was needed to prevent an occasional slight wag on hard climbs but with gyro gain increased to 85-90% (radio uses a 50-100 scale for heading hold mode) and piro brake increased to CCW:3 and CW:4 piro stops were actually improved over the previous settings.

Tail neutral position is set to 0 degrees on the tail blades, 100% travel in both directions.
Thanks,
will try it tomorrow your setting.
zhnme523 is offline Find More Posts by zhnme523
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:54 AM
Hong Kong Intl, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2004
207 Posts
I would like to ask some AVCS question

I am using FF9
And setting AVCS In gyro sensitivity

So strange that no matter I set AVCS from 0% to 100%
Tail always not stable, hunting can not solve

From 0 to 50% and 60 to 100%, not stable
From 50% to 60%, when take off , stable, but after turning , tail start hunting

On the other hand, I set to normal mode, everything normal, tail is very stable

Please help, thanks

here is a video to show performance of 50% AVCS
G31 AVCS 金魚尾問題 (0 min 24 sec)
dogjumpjump is offline Find More Posts by dogjumpjump
Last edited by dogjumpjump; Dec 23, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
I powered up my G31 today. It has software rev 98c. I have a DSMX sat rx. Found it will not bind to the G31. I understand I need to find a RX that wil accept a DSMX sat and bind it to the TX through the doner RX. Is there any other way of doing the binding to the TX? OR am I going to be forced to purchase a new RX that has sat ports?

When I power the G31 up the orange led on the RX flashes two or three times in rapid succession and goes out. LED 3 on the G31 comes on and blinks 8 times and goes out as LED 1 comes on steady. I have NO power to the servos.

I have a AR7200BX with DSMX sat on my Christmas list and I think it is under the tree. Will I be able to bind the sat Rx I plan on using with the G31 with the AR7200BX or will I need something like the AR6210.

Obviously the boot sequence has failed. Is it dead because of lack of a bind on the Rx or is it something else?

RWW

Never mind, I got an answer from one of the guys over on HF.

Merry Christmas every one.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
So what did the software update today change?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:49 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,791 Posts
Quote:
So what did the software update today change?
From the app front screen:
Quote:
##FwVer 0.98e##
Motor speed calibration bug fixed.

##FwVer 0.98d##
Add the support of PPM single line signal.
Increased the max rotate speed of governor.

Please go through Setup Guide again when upgrading from the previous version.
Governor only support electric helis for now. Follow the steps below to setup the governor. Only need setup once:
1. Use Sbus/Sat receiver, connect Rpm phase Sensor to RS port.
2. Set SensorDivide and check GovEnable in [Performance] page.
3. Charge battery to about 70%.
Spool up and maintain 90% throttle with 0 pitch to calibrate.
There will be 4 headspeed increases during calibration and slow down when done.
4. Use flat throttle curves to hover and set target headspeeds.
6. Complete! Fully charged the battery and enjoy your flights.

Note: [ClearCali] to re-calibrate when power system changes.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,791 Posts
I just flew v0.98e, and there are no signs of any issues. It was still quite twitchy on the RJX blades, so I swapped them to Edge FBL blades, which are 5g heaver each. It flew much better with these and the agility set to 1500.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
Malaysian Flier
Selangor, Malaysia
Joined Jan 2008
233 Posts
Mine is v0.98e, and with atomic skull setup and I tune up the agility and gain bit for faster cyclic rate. Very good heli now with precise cyclic breaking. tail not to twitchy as before. put it 65% gyro on my futaba T7C and get tail lock.
zhnme523 is offline Find More Posts by zhnme523
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
AS....Your setting are actually a good start for setting up my 450Pro FBL. Thank you..I made a few minor changes
Increased agility to 1600 for elevator and aileron
Increased ele/ail roll rate to 22
Increased swash stop to 120
Added about -20 expo all around.

Seems to work fine with my TGY-211DMH cyclic servos, however I think I might have developed a problem with the ESC. I keep getting random servo movements causing the heli to go down sharply almost like a reset. I'm thinking the BEC is not keeping up (hopefully not the G31). Also noticed the ESC has a slight delay before responding to throttle hold/cut. I ordered an AE-45 and will also replace the rx to be safe.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
I finally got rate mode to work right.

Everything else the same as before except the tail is set up for rate mode and the tail servo limit is set to 109.8% for left limit and 90.2% for right limit. (right limit is against torque) Stops in both directions are the same now.

They should swap the positions of CW and CCW P.gain so that they are grouped with the direction they affect.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:45 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,037 Posts
Scott,

Are you able to get feedback to the Robird guys - there are a few software enhancements that I would really like to see - I really like the way that the G31 flies, but a few (hopefully simple) enhancements would really help.

1. Add a "Custom" or similar setting to the Perfermance set-up page - if I make a change to the 3D or Sports settings and then press the button again my current settings revert to standard - e.g I want somewhere between Sports and 3D, so I have started with the Sports setting and tweaked some things (e.g. change the Expo setting for the rudder), there is no way of saving these settings so if I now click on the Sports button again it will revert back to the original Sport settings (i.e. my Expo setting will be back to standard).

2. Have a "Clear" button for the vibe analyser, and possibly a "save log". It is easy to lose track of changes made to the heli and the effect that they have had on the log - it would be much easier if you could clear the log after making a change.

3. I use the G31 governor which works very well, however the soft-start needs a bit of tweaking - the initial start-up (first few rotations) is too harsh, and then it takes too long to get up to full revs (almost 30 seconds). If this could be tweaked so that the first few rotations were slower and then it reaches full revs in about 10 seconds this would be perfect.

Please don't take these as complaints as I really like the G31 - just a few areas that could be made even better.

One final thing is that I have been having a ball with my G31 equiped 450 this weekend and I have noticed a "funny" in the way that it performs - if I am coming out of a big loop (as fast as possible) - then the heli is very sensitive on the elevator as I am coming out of the bottom of the loop, and almost porpoises. I can just about recreate this in normal FFFF - it may well be down to my set-up (I am not using proper FBL blades - just carbon FB blades) so any pointers gratefully received. It is more prone to it the faster that I have my HS.

Cheers,
Mike.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:42 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Scott,

Are you able to get feedback to the Robird guys - there are a few software enhancements that I would really like to see - I really like the way that the G31 flies, but a few (hopefully simple) enhancements would really help.

1. Add a "Custom" or similar setting to the Perfermance set-up page - if I make a change to the 3D or Sports settings and then press the button again my current settings revert to standard - e.g I want somewhere between Sports and 3D, so I have started with the Sports setting and tweaked some things (e.g. change the Expo setting for the rudder), there is no way of saving these settings so if I now click on the Sports button again it will revert back to the original Sport settings (i.e. my Expo setting will be back to standard).

2. Have a "Clear" button for the vibe analyser, and possibly a "save log". It is easy to lose track of changes made to the heli and the effect that they have had on the log - it would be much easier if you could clear the log after making a change.

3. I use the G31 governor which works very well, however the soft-start needs a bit of tweaking - the initial start-up (first few rotations) is too harsh, and then it takes too long to get up to full revs (almost 30 seconds). If this could be tweaked so that the first few rotations were slower and then it reaches full revs in about 10 seconds this would be perfect.

Please don't take these as complaints as I really like the G31 - just a few areas that could be made even better.

One final thing is that I have been having a ball with my G31 equiped 450 this weekend and I have noticed a "funny" in the way that it performs - if I am coming out of a big loop (as fast as possible) - then the heli is very sensitive on the elevator as I am coming out of the bottom of the loop, and almost porpoises. I can just about recreate this in normal FFFF - it may well be down to my set-up (I am not using proper FBL blades - just carbon FB blades) so any pointers gratefully received. It is more prone to it the faster that I have my HS.

Cheers,
Mike.
Mike:

Thanks very much for your constructive feedback, we don't consider it "product bashing" or complaining. Myself and another from Robird are reading all of the posts and considering pilot input. Where we can we'll make changes. I think you're already aware that the Robird G31 is constantly evolving and there are some enhancements/improvements that are already in the works so stay tuned.

We're glad to hear that you and others are really enjoying the G31 on your helis. Please send me your photos and videos as I'd love to use them (with your permission of course) on www.RobirdUSA.com.

Best regards,

Scott
RobirdUSA
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
I wonder if they could add pitch and throttle curves and a fixed gyro gain option so you could fly with a 4 or 5 channel plank radio?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:19 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,604 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if they could add pitch and throttle curves and a fixed gyro gain option so you could fly with a 4 or 5 channel plank radio?
I bet the TX manufacturers would love that!

You must be an exception to the rule - most people complain about having to program the controller with a pc, but you want more tabs in the program!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c