HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Pitch works

Well this morning, I have observed that during setup the collective stick does work while the cyclic stick does not work. This is quite puzzling to me as nothing seems to "unlock" setup response as predicted.

Fly safe, Glover
glover is offline Find More Posts by glover
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Servo centering?

Just watching a YouTube clip on setup and noted that the "servo centering" step described on the the video for panel "1 Servo" does not exist on current manual or setup program. Where is this step now? I'm still puzzled.

Fly safe, Glover
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Okay, I finally "get it" about the setup process. It was working correctly all along.

Fly safe, Glover
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I don't think anyone uses just the clear double-sided tape on it's own, if that's what you meant. I use the 3M "Scotch" permanent mounting tape. Most of these small controllers seem to work best with firm tape, so that giant roll of tape in your picture should keep you mounted for decades to come!
Just as an FYI for comparison, the iKon uses a clear double-sided adhesive tape. I believe that it's 3M VHB 4095. A whole roll is kinda pricey and the tape isn't foam backed. It looks like some of the gyro manufacturers are getting better about isolating vibrations these days.
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glover View Post
Just watching a YouTube clip on setup and noted that the "servo centering" step described on the the video for panel "1 Servo" does not exist on current manual or setup program. Where is this step now? I'm still puzzled.

Fly safe, Glover
They moved it to the Collective page.. It sort of makes more sense where it is now than it did before.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Piro Optimization?

When going through ZYX setup, the last step was "Piro optimization". I somehow overlooked this step in my Robird G31 setup. What is the purpose of this step, and where is it on the G31?

Fly safe, Glover
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Basically it stabilizes the piro on a flybarless heli so it doesn't go off in random directions (because of the slight right tilt of the swash in a hover) If you've ever flown a mcpx or mini cp you'll know what I mean. On a flybarred bird, the flybar does the piro stabilization.

Can't help you on where to find that step though.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:52 AM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Thanks Flint. I have a mCPX which I fly just like I do my gasser, nitro and various sized electric helicopters. Because of my skill level as a sport flyer, I have no idea what you are talking about. All of my toys flop around like they are out of control because the guy on the sticks has no clue what he is doing. This venture into FBL is just another item on a senior citizens bucket list. My question was basically if piro stabilization is good on YZX, then where is it on the G31. Apparently I will learn more on the subject when spring arrives and I once again fly on something other than a simulator. The next question for me following next summers flying season will be if I will convert more of my helicopter toys to FBL, or will this new MiniProtos(YZX) and the converted two year old Protos 500(G31) be going to FB.

Fly safe, Glover
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,063 Posts
You don't need piro comp on the G31 as it knows which aileron servo is which (they are left and right) on theZYX it doesn't know which aileon servo is which (they are 1 and 2) so the piro comp will allow the unit to learn the layout
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Yeah I did kind of misunderstand what you were asking. The zyx piro comp was good on my 450. My protos 500 w/ beastx piros better but it could just be because it's a bigger heli. I never did piros before I got the zyx because my other 450 has a Walkera 3-axis gyro with no piro comp, it would go all kinds of places if you tried to do more than one revolution.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Stability

Thanks for the explanations.

Yes, my experiences are that my larger toys tend to be more stable than my smaller ones (planks and helicopters). My 15lb gasser with 800mm blades is a lot more stable than any other helicopter toy in my hanger. It would have been the first toy I converted to FBL, but it has a four cyclic servos on its head which neither the ZYX nor G31 support. But even with its stability, I am still reluctant to stand it on its head as frequently as I do my Protos... gutless old man that I am! (I hate the walk of shame associated with having to use a metal detector and plastic bag to recover a toy at the end of a flight.)

Fly safe, Glover
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,063 Posts
I've just bought my second G31 for a night-flying 450 that I am pulling together - it has been out of commission for a while but previously had a Beastx. So anyway, the Robird now has new packaging and mine has the RPM sensor included so I'm going to grab a Spektrum Satelite and use the internal governor.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,063 Posts
So I've basically got it set up now - I had small issue as when I first plugged in the G31 - it would not talk to the software. Fortunately I guessed that the new firmware on my G31 wasn't happy talking to an old version of the PC software so I upgraded the PC software and we were all systems go. I had another slight scare when I found out that my LHS had given me a DSM-X satelite rather than the DSM-2 that I had asked for (my DX7 doesn't do DSM-X) but fortunately the DSM-X will work as DSM-2 when bound to DX7.

Anyway, I got it all set-up, I have soldered the RPM sensor onto the ESC to motor cables but will start with simple throttle curves to get it going and try the G31 governor once the rest is working OK.

One question that I do have - has anyone used the remote AIL and ELE gains yet - if so what is a sensible setting to start with - the pots don't have a scale on them so I don't know if 1 click past 12 o'clock is (for example) 1 or 10, does the scale go from -100 to + 100 or 1 to 10 etc.. I'd love to know what a good starting point is ...

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by MikeHRC; Dec 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
407 Posts
I'm running a Mini Titan v2, and I'm really working at grasping all the setup parameters and what they do. I'm set for 'Sport' defaults, and at a hover, the heli wants to yaw slightly ccw. It seems that the more collective I give it, the worse it is. What parameters on the performance page affect this behavior? I would experiment myself right now - but it just started raining. Again.

I'm still learning this - and yes I've RTFM lol. I just don't understand everything I'm reading.

Does anyone have recommendations for some mild performance parameter settings on a mini titan?

Thanks in advance for any help!
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Last edited by DudeInMyrtleBch; Dec 15, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
I'm running a Mini Titan v2, and I'm really working at grasping all the setup parameters and what they do. I'm set for 'Sport' defaults, and at a hover, the heli wants to yaw slightly ccw. It seems that the more collective I give it, the worse it is. What parameters on the performance page affect this behavior? I would experiment myself right now - but it just started raining. Again.

I'm still learning this - and yes I've RTFM lol. I just don't understand everything I'm reading.

Does anyone have recommendations for some mild performance parameter settings on a mini titan?

Thanks in advance for any help!
What is the true AVCS gain displayed in the PC program on the first setup tab? Also this could possibly be a mechical setup issue..ie loose tail rotor hub on the shaft, low head speed, vibration, not enough travel on the tail slider, binding of the tail blade grips, etc.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer