HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Thanks for the video, ridge_racer. Can't wait to get my 211's.

Did you get a chance to try other servo arms, or did you just use the ones supplied?
BF...I just used the ones supplied. I'm trying to get back up to speed with my flying. I took a month off. Early impression seems like they are more suited to the G31 vs the Solars they replaced...

these ought to be better than the Solars... they cost twice as much. But are they twice as good?[/QUOTE]

They are Dr. M. There is absolutely no slop in the gear train. I had a Blue Bird 396DMH on the tail of my old ALZRC 450 Pro for a year and it never got any slop. Crashed many times without stripping a gear. These servo are made by Blue Bird as well. Very high quality and precise from early impressions. I think they are good enough to order another 3...
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:45 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Now that is some pretty tall praise...
Yes, it's not there yet, but the way they are going, especially with the governor now, there is a good chance it will.

Quote:
these ought to be better than the Solars... they cost twice as much. But are they twice as good?
I thought the top model 654 was more like $12. I think the coreless motor and dual bearings, is a big plus for this servo, especially for FBL.
http://www.blue-bird-model.com/en/se...ms-211dmh.html

Edit: I see the 654 is normally only $9.85 now.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
BF...I just used the ones supplied. I'm trying to get back up to speed with my flying. I took a month off. Early impression seems like they are more suited to the G31 vs the Solars they replaced...
That's great to hear. Yes, they should be better. As I mentioned to Dr.M, the coreless motor is far better suited to being controlled by a gyro, and the extra bearing ensures that there is less slop on the output shaft.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:36 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,907 Posts
Also with Xheli / Hobby partz shockingly expensive shipping to the UK (minimum was $37 dollars last time I checked), the Solars aren't a viable option for me
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Also with Xheli / Hobby partz shockingly expensive shipping to the UK (minimum was $37 dollars last time I checked), the Solars aren't a viable option for me
I think you will be very pleased with them. They also have some high voltage versions but given that we would have them on a 450, I'm not inclined to adding the extra weight of a BEC for them.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:46 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,346 Posts
Mks promo (3) Mks 92a for $135

For a good investment the Mks 92a are on sale for $135 a set,proven fbl servos at a good price ( they are an investment).I ordered direct from Mks .I would rather buy something that will last hundreds to thousands of flights.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,513 Posts
Nothing we buy in this hobby is an investment, as this would require a reasonable expectation of having a profit (ROI). This hobby is an expense on depreciating assets all around.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,346 Posts
You profit from not crashing when your cheap servos fail!
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
For a good investment the Mks 92a are on sale for $135 a set,proven fbl servos at a good price ( they are an investment).I ordered direct from Mks .I would rather buy something that will last hundreds to thousands of flights.
Steve
I hear what you are saying, which is why I don't use cheap servos any more, but there is a fine line between a good servo and the overly inflated price that MKS charges. Don't get me wrong, MKS make very good servos, but Blue Bird is also a Taiwanese company and they make very good servos, as well.

I should also point out that I tested the MKS DS92 (non A+ version) and it was not a good servo. That's why they bought out the DS92A+, like they also did with the DS8910.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Steve
I don't think my flying skills could justify spending that much on cyclics servos. Maybe one day, however I believe there is alot of value to be found in the 20-30 dollar range for cyclics on hobbyking..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Yes, it's not there yet, but the way they are going, especially with the governor now, there is a good chance it will.

I thought the top model 654 was more like $12. I think the coreless motor and dual bearings, is a big plus for this servo, especially for FBL.
http://www.blue-bird-model.com/en/se...ms-211dmh.html

Edit: I see the 654 is normally only $9.85 now.
I have heard that a regular three pole motor is more resistant to burning out from a stalled servo arm.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
I don't think my flying skills could justify spending that much on cyclics servos. Maybe one day, however I believe there is alot of value to be found in the 20-30 dollar range for cyclics on hobbyking..
The $18 Ino-Labs servos are very good.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The $18 Ino-Labs servos are very good.
Thats what Im using on mine.
So far so good.
But Iv only have 3 flights, But I did buy them used..

And, Now that I have some context. Where are you guys placing your gain pots?
There was reference to 12 and 4 o'clock. But Im not sure how you mean..
I have mine at the 4th biggest dot.
But looking at photos I see there are some differences to the decal.
If the top is Ail and Elv (12 o'clock) I have mine at what I think to be 7 o clock on both. I think.
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,263 Posts
I have set my gains to about 3/4 from max. The default setting is half way or 12 o'clock with the line through the pot parallel to the long side of the case.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
470 Posts
Tried turning them up a bit. And got severe wobbles. So Turn them down a bit and it flies reasonably well. I blame my unbalance-able blades for the tail getting the shakes every once and a while.

How do you lower gains for the tail to stop the osculations ? Is it the Acc?

And on a second note. First successful flight with the 600 can attest to the vibration resistance this thing has. It flew like a champ!!
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007