HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
You're very welcome. We appreciate pilots comments and recommendations about the G31. I can't promise that every recommendation will be implemented but you can be sure that they are being seen by the manufacturer.

On a related note I've been in Singapore for the past 5 days and during that time I've met with the Asia distributor for Robird.We've been thinking about how best to reach out to Robird pilots and also how to imporve. We've been working on a well written and comprehensive users manual . When that's done it will be posted for all.

I also had the chance to meet with several pilots at their flying field last Sunday and watch them fly. Every pilot I met was using the G31 on their helis. As a matter of fact, one pilot was walking around trying to sell his Vbar because he didn't want it anymore after going to the G31. I saw the G31 being used on every size heli from a 250 on up to 700. I took video which will be posted when I return to the States.

One of the tips that I saw at the field was that all pilots had, what I call, "hard mounted" their G31s to the heli. None of them were affixing their G31 to the heli using the traditional method of a single metal plate sandwiched between 2 pieces of foam tape. Instead they were using a single piece of 3M tape to attach the G31 to the heli. This was strong tape and when you wiggled the G31 back and forth there was no wobble. This method of attachment is possible because the G31 has a small weight in the bottom of the case to help with vibration. See the attached photo of a G31 on a Compass 7HV.

Can I ask,
What that rubber belt looking thing is on the left?
and it looks like that the Robird is mounted off center.
Is that OK?
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
That looks like a belt tensioner to me, but I don't have much knowledge about the 7HV.

No problem with off center, just like you can mount the gyro anywhere on the side of the heli. It just needs to be square to the main shaft, vertically and horizontally.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
Quote:
You're very welcome. We appreciate pilots comments and recommendations about the G31. I can't promise that every recommendation will be implemented but you can be sure that they are being seen by the manufacturer.

On a related note I've been in Singapore for the past 5 days and during that time I've met with the Asia distributor for Robird.We've been thinking about how best to reach out to Robird pilots and also how to imporve. We've been working on a well written and comprehensive users manual . When that's done it will be posted for all.

I also had the chance to meet with several pilots at their flying field last Sunday and watch them fly. Every pilot I met was using the G31 on their helis. As a matter of fact, one pilot was walking around trying to sell his Vbar because he didn't want it anymore after going to the G31. I saw the G31 being used on every size heli from a 250 on up to 700. I took video which will be posted when I return to the States.

One of the tips that I saw at the field was that all pilots had, what I call, "hard mounted" their G31s to the heli. None of them were affixing their G31 to the heli using the traditional method of a single metal plate sandwiched between 2 pieces of foam tape. Instead they were using a single piece of 3M tape to attach the G31 to the heli. This was strong tape and when you wiggled the G31 back and forth there was no wobble. This method of attachment is possible because the G31 has a small weight in the bottom of the case to help with vibration. See the attached photo of a G31 on a Compass 7HV.
That sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the tip. I'm currently using a single piece of ZYX foam. I might try strapping it down of using a thinner 3M foam to see if it has any effect on my stop bounce, but none of my other gyros require this. They're all using ZYX foam, even on my 450 Sport with the ZYX, which has no bounce.

Looking forward to seeing the videos.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
I have the 3m 4010 gel tape
That will work with this right?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,065 Posts
I still get a "harder" stop on CCW piro than a CW one. Basically, when I set the gyro gain high enough for a sharp CW stop then the blades will bark on a CCW stop.

Also, if I let the stick go on a CW piro it just stops, if I let it go on a CCW stop it bounces a bit. If I set the gain low enough where this doesn't happen on CCW piro, then CW piro will have a soft bounce (yes I know you shouldn't do this normally). It seems like it's always a compromise between CW and CCW stop performance.

So my question is, is it normal for the CW and CCW stops to be different like this, or is it possible to get the tail behavior the same on CW and CCW stop?

Quote:
This method of attachment is possible because the G31 has a small weight in the bottom of the case to help with vibration. See the attached photo of a G31 on a Compass 7HV.
This weight is lead isn't it? Isn't that a violation of ROhS standards?
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 08, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:20 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
The ZYX used to have the same tail variation CW and CCW, until v3.5. I used to have to use a much higher deceleration in one direct to the other to make it even. v3.5 seemed to add in some symmetry that compensates for torque effect on the tail. Again it was less noticeable on larger helis.

My 3GY/G31 has what looks like a steel weight in the bottom. Definitely not lead.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:22 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble007 View Post
I have the 3m 4010 gel tape
That will work with this right?
I've used this in the past with good results, but your heli must be near vib free, as it's a very firm tape.
Last edited by beenflying; Nov 09, 2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
THE ANTICIPATION IS KILLING ME

sorry
sorry

Im waiting on HK for my robirds.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I've used this in the past with good results, but your heli must be near vib free, as it's a very firm tape.
Someone a while back said that the 4010 actually works better than the ZYX pads for damping vibrations.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
368 Posts
I thought I would finally upload the manual for the Black Widow. The pictures in it are from the older software. I should have done this a long time ago....
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
368 Posts
It looks like my original thought of the CW/CCW brake setting gets reversed when you select tail servo reversed is wrong. I made it out for some flying this weekend and all the bounce issues were back on tail.
I decided to raise max rate on tail to 72(720*) and played some more with CW/CCW and acc. values. I have totally stopped the bounce for good on four Helis. The funning thing is on the settings. Two helis are at 3-CW and 4 -CCW brake. On the other two, one is at 1-CW and 1-CCW on brake and one is at 1-CW and 2-CW on brake.The two at 3 & 4 on brake are at 5400 -5500 on ACC. The one at 1 & 1 on brake is at 5100-5100 on ACC. The one at 1 & 2 on brake is at 5200-5400 on ACC.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Well my first attempt at flybarless was a big failure.
I put on those align servo wheels. But they were to soft and stripped out causing me to loose control.
Annndd. Well that's what I'm going to blame it on. Cuz I really have no idea what I'm doing

Does anyone have settings for a trex 600 size they can post?
Or is the default the best place to start?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble007 View Post
Well my first attempt at flybarless was a big failure.
I put on those align servo wheels. But they were to soft and stripped out causing me to loose control.
Annndd. Well that's what I'm going to blame it on. Cuz I really have no idea what I'm doing

Does anyone have settings for a trex 600 size they can post?
Or is the default the best place to start?
Hope there wasn't too much damage! 600 FBL can be hard on servo arms, best to use sturdy metal ones, or at least have back nuts on the liunkage ball bolts on thick plastic arms.

I think it's always best to work your way thru the preset model settings. The tail is very tame on the first three presets. When you get to models #4 and #5, it hots up, and you might get some stop bounce - at which point you would need to tweak the settings, particularly the deccel values.

Looking at the different parameter values used in the five preset models should also give you an idea of how the parameters affect flight characteristics.

In order to help get used to the response of the heli, it's worth setting up some dual rates, and also setting about 30% expo on cyclic and tail. Make sure the expo works in the right sense - +30% on a JR TX is the same as -30% on a Futaba.

Watch out for cyclic shakes. You might notice the heli shaking when you bring it to the hover, in which case you should reduce the overall pitch and roll gains from their default values of 40. The defaults should be fine if you are using sufficiently fast and torquey digital servos, and you might even be able to increase them.

The default RC Deadband settings are too high, in my opinion, and might give a vague feel about centre stick. I use 10 on cyclic and 20 on the tail.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Thanks for the tips
I think just my main blades and main shaft were damaged.
The splines inside the servo wheels are what stripped out.
It felt very mushy like I couldn't counter act what it was doing. I expected better response from FB not worse. I was only in a hover for about 3 seconds before it went in.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
Some sound advise from 2Doggs, but I think more for the ZYX than the robird G31.

Sorry to hear you're not having much luck. The defaults for the G31 should fly fine. I found the gain pots in the middle made my 450 feel like it was flying like a no bar heli. I now fly it at 2 o'clock (taking middle pot as 12 o'clock).

The most important thing to double and triple check is your direction settings. The swash plate must try to stay level when you tilt the heli in each direction (forwards, backwards, left & right). Either one of these wrong and the heli will tip into the ground shortly after take off.

Start with the Sport defaults in the performance tab and the heli should be very stable. If the heli shakes after lift off then lower the two pots slightly from the 2 o'clock position.

I hope you have better luck on your next attempt.