HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:46 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI View Post
Today I may have proved what BeenFlying( & what I have been thinking) stated about CW/CCW Brake and CW/CCW Acc being reversed if you have to click tail servo reverse in step 6 Direction.

I have two MiniTitan useing the original 3GY and the new metal case 3GY. The MT w/ metal case 3GY has tail servo reversed in step 6 and the one with original 3GY is not reversed. Both helis swing 350 EDGE FBL Blades and 6S setup. They both have increased tail ratio(5.13:1). The MT w/ metal case 3GY has 59mm Radix tail blades and the other has 60mm Edge tail blades.

Here`s pictures of MT w/ meatl case 3GY and clips of software setup.......
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...7&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...8&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...9&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...0&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...1&d=1352053888

Here they are for the MT w/ original 3GY...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...2&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...3&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...4&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...5&d=1352053888
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1352053888

I flipped the settings in the performance screen and both had the same great tail performance with no bounce on either. Plus I have the two pots on both gyro at 12 o'clock setting or just under and both are very stable, great flying Helis. The new FW has made for better over all flight performance.
Thanks for this. I was going to try the servo arm on the other side of the servo, over the weekend, but forgot to do it.

Was the tail really the same by just swapping the settings? I'm inclined to believe, by what I'm seeing, that there are more internal things that are affected by what the gyro thinks is the CW and CCW rotation of the heli. I mentioned about the symmetry and then there is piro compensation that could also be affected.

robird needs to fix this, and release an update ASAP.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
375 Posts
This is still a test in progress but by flipping the settings I was finally able to over come the bounce problem on the one with the tail servo reversed in step 6. Too me just by doing this the piro felt the same on both helis. To me the piros did not feel symmetrical but both helis performance very similar.

I will probably increase ACC. back up to a range of 5000 - 5250. The piro did seem to rotate(start) at a slightly different speed each way. The piro comp felt good but my main goal today was to stop the bounce.

It may just be me or my TX(9303) but the gyro feels very sensitive to tx stick being returned to center after piros.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi View Post
I had the same question before I started. When you click to that tab, the software moves the cyclic for you, and you just adjust the slider - so you don't have to hold the stick.
It's not explicitly stated anywhere but you should set up cyclic pitch geometry with the blades lined up with the boom and collective pitch with the blades at 90 degrees to the boom.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Performance tab details

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Thanks for this. I was going to try the servo arm on the other side of the servo, over the weekend, but forgot to do it.

Was the tail really the same by just swapping the settings? I'm inclined to believe, by what I'm seeing, that there are more internal things that are affected by what the gyro thinks is the CW and CCW rotation of the heli. I mentioned about the symmetry and then there is piro compensation that could also be affected.

robird needs to fix this, and release an update ASAP.

CW and CCW Brake: These settings relate to how fast you want the heli to stop when you go CW and CCW.

CW Brake: You are enhancing the braking torque in the CW direction. Left Piro - CW braking.

CCW Brake: You are enhancing the braking torque in the CCW direction. Right Piro - CCW braking.

CW Acceleration and CCW Acceleration: This relates to how the G31 holds the tail. Another way to look at this is the "agility" of the tail. You use this setting to fine tune your tail in all of your manuevers. To set this correctly you should do a lot of piro and hurricane manuevers and see how the tail is responding. If the tail is wobbling you will need to lower the value. For most helis a value between 5,000 to 5,800 works fine. If the value is too low the tail feels mushy, too high and the tail osscillates.
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post

CW Brake: You are enhancing the braking torque in the CW direction. Left Piro - CW braking.

CCW Brake: You are enhancing the braking torque in the CCW direction. Right Piro - CCW braking.
The mouse over says that CW brake gives a harder stop on a CW piro and CCW brake gives a harder stop on a CCW piro.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:31 AM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Performance tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The mouse over says that CW brake gives a harder stop on a CW piro and CCW brake gives a harder stop on a CCW piro.
You're right, it's confusing. The attachment is a screenshot taken from an update in the G31 software that's being worked on at this moment.

OK, I'm letting the cat out of the bag here. Robird has set up a distributor here in the US so there will be product and technical support located here. Stay tuned.....
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
You're right, it's confusing. The attachment is a screenshot taken from an update in the G31 software that's being worked on at this moment.

OK, I'm letting the cat out of the bag here. Robird has set up a distributor here in the US so there will be product and technical support located here. Stay tuned.....
Calling it left and right instead of CW and CCW is actually more confusing because what is left and right changes depending on if you are a nose flyer or a tail flyer. CW is always CW no matter if you fly by the nose or by the tail.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:41 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Yes, I agree. I actually thought it was good, that they had used CW and CCW, when I first saw the robird app. As you say, you don't know if it means nose or tail left and right. CCW brake should be the stop for nose left piros, and CW brake should be the stop for nose right piros. Label them CW and CCW brake but state that it's nose right or nose left in the mouse over popup.

Great to hear, for the US guys, that robird will have a distributor.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
after set up, do you leave the pitch curve in normal mode, linear, or can you adjust it like a flybar heli. Just the normal setting, cause i know for idle up, it has to be linear. Thanks.
tony521 is offline Find More Posts by tony521
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:38 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
LPiro and LPiro

Quote:
Yes, I agree. I actually thought it was good, that they had used CW and CCW, when I first saw the robird app. As you say, you don't know if it means nose or tail left and right. CCW brake should be the stop for nose left piros, and CW brake should be the stop for nose right piros. Label them CW and CCW brake but state that it's nose right or nose left in the mouse over popup.

Great to hear, for the US guys, that robird will have a distributor.
Please see the attachment and let us know how this works for you guys.
Last edited by SDHeliPilot; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:46 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony521 View Post
after set up, do you leave the pitch curve in normal mode, linear, or can you adjust it like a flybar heli. Just the normal setting, cause i know for idle up, it has to be linear. Thanks.
Once the controller is set up, treat your pitch and throttle curves exactly as you would an FB heli.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony521 View Post
Yeah, I adjusted the lower half of my normal curve to about -3 degrees. I left idle up a straight line +/-12 (or whatever the setup called for-can't remember at the moment). At first I had adjusted that down to +/-10, but that felt really dead and laggy. Much moreso than +/-10 had felt when it was flybarred.
krefi is online now Find More Posts by krefi
Last edited by krefi; Nov 07, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi View Post
Yeah, I adjusted the lower half of my normal curve to about -3 degrees. I left idle up a straight line +/-12. At first I had adjusted that down to +/-10, but that felt really dead and laggy. Much moreso than +/-10 had felt when it was flybarred.
ok, thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help.
you also 2Doggs.
tony521 is offline Find More Posts by tony521
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:47 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Quote:
Please see the attachment and let us know how this works for you guys.
That works for me, as I always think of a left piro as a nose left piro. As long as you also put "nose left piro" in the popup, there shouldn't be any confusion.

Thanks for running this by us. It's great to see that robird are listening to the users.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:28 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
That works for me, as I always think of a left piro as a nose left piro. As long as you also put "nose left piro" in the popup, there shouldn't be any confusion.

Thanks for running this by us. It's great to see that robird are listening to the users.
You're very welcome. We appreciate pilots comments and recommendations about the G31. I can't promise that every recommendation will be implemented but you can be sure that they are being seen by the manufacturer.

On a related note I've been in Singapore for the past 5 days and during that time I've met with the Asia distributor for Robird.We've been thinking about how best to reach out to Robird pilots and also how to imporve. We've been working on a well written and comprehensive users manual . When that's done it will be posted for all.

I also had the chance to meet with several pilots at their flying field last Sunday and watch them fly. Every pilot I met was using the G31 on their helis. As a matter of fact, one pilot was walking around trying to sell his Vbar because he didn't want it anymore after going to the G31. I saw the G31 being used on every size heli from a 250 on up to 700. I took video which will be posted when I return to the States.

One of the tips that I saw at the field was that all pilots had, what I call, "hard mounted" their G31s to the heli. None of them were affixing their G31 to the heli using the traditional method of a single metal plate sandwiched between 2 pieces of foam tape. Instead they were using a single piece of 3M tape to attach the G31 to the heli. This was strong tape and when you wiggled the G31 back and forth there was no wobble. This method of attachment is possible because the G31 has a small weight in the bottom of the case to help with vibration. See the attached photo of a G31 on a Compass 7HV.