Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Which version would be best the put on a trex 500 nitro with rather horrible vibration issues?
The Robird with the small weight or the Alzrc one with the metal case?
Im working on getting it to run smoother. But there is only such a limit with an over sized nitro engine crammed in there.
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLeg View Post
The strange cyclic twitch on the ground is normal as it is programmed to work this way.. What it does is to reset all the servos back to its initiated positions like how a Futaba GY-401 tail gyro works whenever you wiggle your rudder stick a few times left and right before you lift off.. It will not do this in the air because its tail sensor will detect the tail movements. (after 0.98a)
Thanks for this. Very handy to know.

Quote:
In the setup tab "Receiver" screen, assign two channel numbers to the "AilGainCh" and "EleGainCh" so you can control the Ail and Ele gains from the tx, the pots will be disabled when these channel numbers are not at "0". Of course you need to use Sat, Sbus or PPM (in the work now) rx for this to work.
Yes, I saw that feature. Unfortunately Hitec haven't made a Sbus or PPM Rx yet. There is a clone, but you lose the SPC port and flight pack telemetry.

It would be really nice if you could just check a box in the software and this enabled two gain settings for aileron and elevator, and ignored the pots. Two less things to fail in flight, as well.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
It'll be interesting to see how the tail servo works out long term. Some people claim it's not rated for 333Hz, though I know Beenflying is happily using them at that speed.
I think it was the mini servos that used to be rated for 280hz on Blue Arrow's website not the standard servos.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:25 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,790 Posts
I've been putting up with the tail bounce on the 450 Pro. I've changed everything including the pitch slider now (servo, pushrod, pitch slider & thrust bearing tail blade holders).

The thing I noticed today is that the CW and CCW brake seem to work backwards for me. If I lower the CW value to 1 it reduces the CCW bounce. If I reduce the CCW brake the CW stop gets very soft.

I can't think why this is. The rudder stick works the correct way in the monitor tab and the tail limits tab, but I've had to reverse the tail in the direction tab. Collective to tail comp works the correct way as well.

Has anyone else noticed this, or can you suggest something I might have set wrong.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
CW = Right rudder, CCW = Left rudder, not to confused with the way they are positioned in the performance screen..
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:43 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,790 Posts
I'm not confused as to what CW and CCW mean. When my heli is piroing CCW (left rudder), the CW brake adjustment is affecting the stop, whereas the CCW brake has no effect. The CCW brake is having an effect on the CW (right rudder) stop. The same applies for "acc", as well.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:20 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI View Post
Has anyone ever ordered from Hobby Dream? I found out that they sell the Robird G31 for $66.25. I found it by doing a search on the site.
Hobby Dream have raised their price to $86. Seems to me like robird is policing discounting of their gyro.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
367 Posts
whitehedr,
you are welcome...

Beenflying,
I have been wondering the same thing on tail settings. I did get the tail bounce to stop on older FW but with new FW it came back on all four helis. I have had very limited time for any flying except for some in a very tight spot where I live. Two out of my four helis w/ this system are giving me headaches on this issue. My next course of action will be to reverse the settings.

I figured the price would be going up soon at Hobby Dream. I preodered one from Tarot-RC.

OOModel also sells the ALZRC 3GY http://www.oomodel.com/alzrc-3gyv20a...0-p-64017.html and the Sat. RX. connector http://www.oomodel.com/alzrc-satelli...0-p-64018.html
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Last edited by IFHELI; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I'm not confused as to what CW and CCW mean. When my heli is piroing CCW (left rudder), the CW brake adjustment is affecting the stop, whereas the CCW brake has no effect. The CCW brake is having an effect on the CW (right rudder) stop. The same applies for "acc", as well.
Just theorizing here, but maybe the brake setting is for the direction of rudder you'd apply if you were stopping the rotation? In other words, if you are rotating CCW, you'd apply CW "brake" to stop it?

Just a theory. As a programmer, I can see how they might write the logic that way.

Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
I think you hit the jackpot on this one Chris, CW and CCW refers to the directions of the functions for Brake or Acc, not the pirouette directions. I was a little confuse on this one myself too, sorry about that.
PhantomLeg is offline Find More Posts by PhantomLeg
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Just theorizing here, but maybe the brake setting is for the direction of rudder you'd apply if you were stopping the rotation? In other words, if you are rotating CCW, you'd apply CW "brake" to stop it?

Just a theory. As a programmer, I can see how they might write the logic that way.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. That would make sense based on how it works, but they certainly didn't indicate that in the popup help:

I also wonder if the bounce is occurring because they are applying the symmetry (torque comp) backwards (to the wrong direction):

I'm currently having to run 1 (CW) and 5 (CCW) for brake, to get a similar stop in both directions, which seems weird.
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 28, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,790 Posts
Quote:
whitehedr,
you are welcome...

Beenflying,
I have been wondering the same thing on tail settings. I did get the tail bounce to stop on older FW but with new FW it came back on all four helis. I have had very limited time for any flying except for some in a very tight spot where I live. Two out of my four helis w/ this system are giving me headaches on this issue. My next course of action will be to reverse the settings.

I figured the price would be going up soon at Hobby Dream. I preodered one from Tarot-RC.

OOModel also sells the ALZRC 3GY http://www.oomodel.com/alzrc-3gyv20a...0-p-64017.html and the Sat. RX. connector http://www.oomodel.com/alzrc-satelli...0-p-64018.html
Thanks, IFHELI. I'm pleasing to know that I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm thinking it's related to the tail direction setting. In your 4 helis, are the ones giving you a headache set to reverse the tail, in the direction tab?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
367 Posts
Yes, they are both set for reverse.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Just an FYI the ALZRC 500 size tail blades are CRAP. They caused so much tail vibes that the tail started randomly twitching and making scary noises in flight. The vibe level was basically slammed to maximum in the log. The Tarot CF ones only produce 100-150 on the scale. I checked the balance on the tail blades and they looked to be the same so I have no idea what's causing the ALZRC plastic ones to produce such high vibes while the Tarot CF ones don't.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Yes, they are both set for reverse.
Interesting. Since there isn't a tail servo reverse option (only a tail gyro direction reverse), I don't see a work around for this. It would require the servo to be reversed or the arm put on the other side of the servo, to prove if the tail direction option is causing the problem.

Edit: Actually I need to check that. It does say in the app that it's a tail servo reverse, so perhaps it does reverse what the Tx stick does, as well.