HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Tarot Rc is taking preorders for the G31 with governor Sensor and including a digital pitch gauge if you preorder.$90 in the Usa and all the other cool Tarot goodys!
Steve
Oo Ooo DIBBS!

That sounds like a good deal. Is it on their site?
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,742 Posts
Its on their homepage under new items, looks like Robird is looking to expand the market share!
Anyone on this thread using the governor mode now, and if so how well does it work?I haven't heard anyone using it and right now I just set flat throttle curves and with 4s/6s my rpms only fall 150 rpm un der load.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:06 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
I just use the govener in my controler. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been following this on and off for a while and was really put off in the begining by what looked like nasty problems including the sluggish collective and uncommanded 180 rolls (reported by Kauaiguy). Have these issues been addressed?

I have a few other questions, if someone would be kind enough to chip in:
- How's the pirouette compensation working on this gyro? Nice stable, flat disk, or all over the place in the hover?
- Can you use 2 sat receivers AND the governor function?
- How's the governor performing on electrics?
- How's that CCW piro stop bounce?
- Any other emerging issues?

I'm considering one of these for my Pantera 6 electric, since I really don't like the CJY TotalG that's been flying on it so far.

Thanks very much.
Dr.M is online now Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:00 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Hi guys,

I've been following this on and off for a while and was really put off in the begining by what looked like nasty problems including the sluggish collective and uncommanded 180 rolls (reported by Kauaiguy). Have these issues been addressed?

- How's the pirouette compensation working on this gyro? Nice stable, flat disk, or all over the place in the hover?

I'm considering one of these for my Pantera 6 electric, since I really don't like the CJY TotalG that's been flying on it so far.

Thanks very much.
Doc,

I've been flying one of these on my Protos since about May - really happy with it. If I were to buy another FBL unit it would be either one of these or a second hand Beastx.

It flies really nicely, no strange rolls, or bounce, very stable (better than ZYX, very nearly as good as Beastx)

Fantastic bit of kit

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,742 Posts
Robird G31

My problems where caused by my Kst 115/215 servos potentimeters going bad( known problem )since switching to Mks95/92a servos I haven't had any more problems and never had any stop bounce issues, I think some had mechanical issues thinking it was the gyro.Flat piros as long as you want and you can vary your settings to your liking, the defaults work pretty good, you can download the Robird software and check it out in demo mode(small file).Also in wind this gyro
is very controlable, my more recent YouTube videos have alot of piros, loops ,flips and rolls.I haven't tryed the governor yet so can't comment on thatbut I highly recommend this gyro!!
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks very much.
I'm pretty happy with mine now. The only thing I still haven't eliminated on my 450 Pro is the CCW stop bounce. I've even tried another tail servo, a CF control rod and thrust bearing tail blade holders, but it's still the same. The only thing left is the pitch slider, but it seems no worse than my other 450's.

Separating the cyclic rate and agility settings fixed the sluggish collective, but I still notice a bit more collective is needed to recover when the heli gets into it's own down wash. Like it needs a bit of pitch boost.

Excellent piro comp and very stable, but gain pots need to be more like 2 o'clock. I'm surprised they aren't more like the BX, which usually works well at 12 o'clock. Mine flew pretty poorly with the pots at 12 o'clock.

Still has the strange cyclic twitch on the ground, when you work the tail hard for a second, but have not seen anything strange in the air.

I would like to see an option to turn off the gain pots and be able to set the gains in the software instead, to allow for installations that make accessing the pots difficult.

No experience with the governor feature or sats.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
374 Posts
Dr. M,
The Sat. rx ports are totally seperate from the rpm sensor port.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jul 2009
89 Posts
So beenflying, what's you final conclusions?...Robird or Tarot zyx V3.5?

I have 5 ZYX and wonder If I'm missing something...

Thanks again for your good input in this hobby

Pat
Probicha is offline Find More Posts by Probicha
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble007 View Post
Im looking to get the Black widow from the USA seller. Unless I find a decent deal on the ar7200bx
Can some one tell me the differences in the 450 size FBL heads. The old align one vs the DFC, or the RJX head.
Why all the differences? How do I determine which is best for me?

Or can you point me to a thread that discusses it.
Thanks
My favorite is the $15 RJX clone head HK sells, takes some care and a few extra bits to get it together right though. There is a video on Youtube that covers it. Last I checked it was missing the 2x3.6x0.2 washers needed to go between the flange bearings in the arms and you had to scrounged them off another part somewhere. they may have started including them by now though.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,127 Posts
Maiden hover with the 500 tonight, was working great till I piroed it and on the stop the long swash ball somehow unscrewed itself and caused it to take a header into the ground. Pretty minimal damage for such a catastrophic failure though. Only damage was a bent tail boom, bent tail rotor shaft, ruined tail rotor shaft bearings (notchy), broken tail blades (the neon yellow ones from oomodel, glad I ordered three sets) bent rudder control rod and a slight scuff on the end of one rotor blade. I can't believe it survived with so little damage. Probably a combination of me instantly hitting throttle hold and the low headspeed (about 2400 rpm)

Disturbing that it unscrewed itself despite being locktited. I'm going to redo all the swash balls with green locktite to make damn sure they don't come loose again.

EDIT: I really have no freaking idea how this thing made it through with so little damage, it's just mind boggling. Not even the mainshaft it bent.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I'm pretty happy with mine now. The only thing I still haven't eliminated on my 450 Pro is the CCW stop bounce. I've even tried another tail servo, a CF control rod and thrust bearing tail blade holders, but it's still the same. The only thing left is the pitch slider, but it seems no worse than my other 450's
Don't set the pitch slider range higher than 100%, it causes odd things to happen.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
My favorite is the $15 RJX clone head HK sells, takes some care and a few extra bits to get it together right though. There is a video on Youtube that covers it. Last I checked it was missing the 2x3.6x0.2 washers needed to go between the flange bearings in the arms and you had to scrounged them off another part somewhere. they may have started including them by now though.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...450_HK450.html

? no longer 15$
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probicha View Post
So beenflying, what's you final conclusions?...Robird or Tarot zyx V3.5?

I have 5 ZYX and wonder If I'm missing something...

Thanks again for your good input in this hobby

Pat
Hi, Pat. Let me put it this way. I wont be changing my ZYX's to G31's any time soon, and I wont be shelving my G31 either (like a few others I have).

They both have there pluses and minuses. My personal opinion is, if a 3D pro flew both, the G31 would win, but I personally still prefer the ZYX for sport and soft 3D flying.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:10 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
Maiden hover with the 500 tonight, was working great till I piroed it and on the stop the long swash ball somehow unscrewed itself and caused it to take a header into the ground. Pretty minimal damage for such a catastrophic failure though. Only damage was a bent tail boom, bent tail rotor shaft, ruined tail rotor shaft bearings (notchy), broken tail blades (the neon yellow ones from oomodel, glad I ordered three sets) bent rudder control rod and a slight scuff on the end of one rotor blade. I can't believe it survived with so little damage. Probably a combination of me instantly hitting throttle hold and the low headspeed (about 2400 rpm)

Disturbing that it unscrewed itself despite being locktited. I'm going to redo all the swash balls with green locktite to make damn sure they don't come loose again.

EDIT: I really have no freaking idea how this thing made it through with so little damage, it's just mind boggling. Not even the mainshaft it bent.
Really sorry to hear this. I've heard of others green and red thread locking the screw in balls, for the same reason. I think a tight ball link can unscrew the ball. , However, I've never had a problem myself, with just using blue thread lock.

Quote:
Don't set the pitch slider range higher than 100%, it causes odd things to happen.
Thanks. Interesting. In my case they're both around 70.