SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:51 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Oops, cyclic. Subtrim to zero and EPA's to set the limit either direction.

http://youtu.be/mEW6XP1KoHg#
Thanks Beenflying ,
That's the video with the discription of how to zero the tx settings I was looking for!I had done it before but forgot the sequence.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy. View Post
My buddy does this...makes me nervous as hell and I've watched him tip back and forth!

I did it once and skinned my blades and lost a canopy. Now at 90 tc flat for 3, 4 and 5 and just jump it up when a little under midstick, smooth as can be and no jitters at all (don't givr it time). I also don't deal with it landings, hit TH 2-3 ft above the ground going slightly forward and it lands itself (forward keeps the tail blades off the deck).

So which ever way you like is what I'd do, but try both so you can tell ; )

Ken
So it's normal then? The tipping is very slow and not difficult to compensate for.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:47 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
AS + BF,

Thanks guys - I was reticent to make the change to the the the MaxRates as I was really pleased with how it was flying, then I noticed that stationary flips were more like little O's and rolls were more like cork-screws than truly axial. So I changed the rates to 22 on aileron and elevator and it is much better, but still maintains the stability and it is not too twitchy in normal flight - love it even more

Thanks guys,
Mike.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
784 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm about ready to maiden my Robird unit, set up on a 450 pro with a DFC head. I was wondering about these default settings that are showing up under the performance->basic tab. They look like some sort of precompensation mixes or something? If so, why would you want to mix pitch to elevator? I can kind of understand collective pitch to rudder, but what are you guys showing in these boxes, and do you recommend changing them from these default settings before my maiden?
Thanks!
krefi is online now Find More Posts by krefi
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,118 Posts
Krefi,

I just left them as they were since I didn't know for certain how they were used.

Mike,
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
So it's normal then? The tipping is very slow and not difficult to compensate for.
Normal for my 450, but again I don't leave it on the ground that long. My 500 is more planted on the ground but again, don't leave it there long once head speed is up.

I think the bigger question nis what does it do in a hover? Also, I read a lot about having a heli strpped down and not only how unsafe that is, but how it really isn't indicative of what/how the heli behaves.

Ken

PS...fingers and spell checker still asleep this morning!
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,100 Posts
Both of my 450's can hover hands off on one skid, both show almost no vibs 300 or less.So if your heli is unstable at lift off or landing there is most likely vibs causing the tippyness.On my cx3x1000 it was typical for me to leave the ground quicker before it acted up and on the Robird only when I had vibs above 700.
Steve
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,574 Posts
[QUOTE=Atomic Skull;22421294]
When the heli is sitting on the ground at midstick after a while it will slowly start to tip. Is this normal? I've read that you have to "fly the rotor" on the ground with flybarless helicopters.

I always heard that for a FBL heli. you should plug in the battery, and then let the gyro stabilize for about 10 seconds before you move it, and then let the gyro stabilize the heli, hands off the cyclic, and then lift off.
Is this necessary or just an old heli. tale?
I think it helps to wiggle the cyclic before before the run up to stabilize the disk.
What's the best thing to do, wait or wiggle?
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,100 Posts
When the blue light is solid it's ready to go, no warm up like piezo gyros of the past.I wiggle the controls after binding has occurred just to be sure all servos are working and then fly!
Steve
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
When the blue light is solid it's ready to go, no warm up like piezo gyros of the past.I wiggle the controls after binding has occurred just to be sure all servos are working and then fly!
Steve
OK. Thanks Steve.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Ok here's the million dollar question for all you guys that have been involved in testing the zyx,hb 800 and robird g31/alzrc 3gy , which would you recommend as the best all around unit in terms of ease of use and flight characteristics? I also see some of you have the mb, is it worth shelling out the extra coin for?
DMac79 is offline Find More Posts by DMac79
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,347 Posts
The million dollar answer is that they all perform very well...lol. All jokes aside I think it is personal preference and future support of the product from the manufacturer. Both the Tarot and ALZRC/Robird products have had a decent amount of firmware support from the manufacturers to help improve the product. The HB800 is still fairly new and we are still waiting for the first firmware update that will bring sat rx and S-bus support to the unit. Currently I have both the ALZRC 3GY and HB800 installed on 2 separate 450 Pro helis. My personal preference in terms of flight performance is a little more towards the HB800 although the piro compensation is just ok. The 3GY has much better piro comp in my experience. In terms of vibration tolerance hands down the 3GY/G31. After a crash I just change what is bent or broken and within an hour or two I am back in the air. HB800 and ZYX are not as tolerant to bad vibrations. If I have bad vibrations, I can use the 3GY/G31 vib analyst to troubleshoot the source.
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm about ready to maiden my Robird unit, set up on a 450 pro with a DFC head. I was wondering about these default settings that are showing up under the performance->basic tab. They look like some sort of precompensation mixes or something? If so, why would you want to mix pitch to elevator? I can kind of understand collective pitch to rudder, but what are you guys showing in these boxes, and do you recommend changing them from these default settings before my maiden?
Thanks!
I bumped mine up to 64 ("mid high"). No amount of collective to rudder, even maximum, seems to be able to completely eliminate the faint yaw on climb though.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:01 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
AS + BF,

Thanks guys - I was reticent to make the change to the the the MaxRates as I was really pleased with how it was flying, then I noticed that stationary flips were more like little O's and rolls were more like cork-screws than truly axial. So I changed the rates to 22 on aileron and elevator and it is much better, but still maintains the stability and it is not too twitchy in normal flight - love it even more

Thanks guys,
Mike.
That's good to hear, Mike. It was thanks to Steve/Kauaiguy suggesting it, and the 7HV video, that I tried it. It certain doesn't work how I expected it would. I thought it would be more like the tail and just set the maximum roll/pitch rate, up to the limits.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:04 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I bumped mine up to 64 ("mid high"). No amount of collective to rudder, even maximum, seems to be able to completely eliminate the faint yaw on climb though.
Do you realize the collective to tail comp setting goes up to 255?
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying