HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:57 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,465 Posts
For mounting your gyro I found 3M 4010 vhb tape to work the best out of the various gyro tapes I tryed, I found the 3m tape at my local Ace Hardware.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:15 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,967 Posts
Here are the settings from my final flight today. I lowered the pitch back to 12 degrees. I just plugged the gyro in to the USB and changed the collective pitch setting back to what it was before. I didn't even use the digital pitch gauge and I didn't have to connect power to the heli.

It flew really well. My Brake settings are probably as they are, because I haven't set the tail in rate mode. I'll do that next and see if the stop is even with the same brake settings.

beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:08 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Hey bf,

Correct me here if I'm wrong, at first it appeared you weren't too fond of this gyro due to delayed collective response. But after some tweaking you seem to like it more. Is this a correct assessment? Do you still prefer the zyx overall?

And have you found the vib log to be of any usefulness?

Oh, and I see your still tweaking but have you flown any smack 3d with it after the recent tweaks?

Cheers,
Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:49 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,967 Posts
Hi Ken. Upping the cyclic MaxRates made all the difference for me (something I wasn't expecting would help). I basically copied the settings they were using on the 7HV and upped the pre-compensation to suit what I had already found my 450 needed. Yes, I'm much happier with how it flies now. I think it's on par now with how connected I feel with the ZYX helis. I was hoping it would be settings, but unfortunately I hadn't had much time to experiment until yesterday, due to bad weather, being away and an injury (3 broken ribs).

I do like the direct USB connection, the ability to do setting changes without the heli powered, and the vib log is also nice.

No 3D yet, just sport, but I do feel this is the most important first test to pass, for any gyro.

I need to fly it at the flying field now to make any final comments on which I prefer, especially with the ZYX now using v3.5.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:07 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,967 Posts
I just went to setup the 450 Pro in rate mode, but with a 7.5mm ball on the DS520, the 3GY wont let me reduce the right limit far enough to stop binding. I haven't done the flip grip mod and have never needed to with this heli. I was actually quite surprised when I first setup the heli on the 3GY that the limits needed to be reduced so far. Looking at other setup screens I see most have the limits reduced well away from 100%, as well. Something seems wrong compared to other FBL gyros I've setup, even on this same heli.

From my initial setup:
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:30 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,465 Posts
That is odd, on both of my heli's there all +or- within 15 of a 100 percent everywhere and I run my Beam at 10 mm for cyclic and 8 mm for tail , on my BA I'm running cyclic at12.5mm and still within 15.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I just went to setup the 450 Pro in rate mode, but with a 7.5mm ball on the DS520, the 3GY wont let me reduce the right limit far enough to stop binding. I haven't done the flip grip mod and have never needed to with this heli. I was actually quite surprised when I first setup the heli on the 3GY that the limits needed to be reduced so far. Looking at other setup screens I see most have the limits reduced well away from 100%, as well. Something seems wrong compared to other FBL gyros I've setup, even on this same heli.

From my initial setup:
How do you setup the limit of cyclic pitch?
My red dot is off center, in the lower right quadrant. Do I adjust the sliders to get the dot in the center of the circle? I don't understand how this works.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:55 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,967 Posts
The red dot is your cyclic aileron and elevator stick position. If the dot is not close to center then you have something strange going on in your Tx or your Rx is not connected correctly. Make sure your Tx is set to Heli mode 1 servo 90 degrees and that the correct sticks move in the monitor/receiver tab/screen.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,638 Posts
Quote:
The red dot is your cyclic aileron and elevator stick position. If the dot is not close to center then you have something strange going on in your Tx or your Rx is not connected correctly. Make sure your Tx is set to Heli mode 1 servo 90 degrees and that the correct sticks move in the monitor/receiver tab/screen.
OK. I have the dot centered.
My cyclic joystick pattern is a square. Should I use a circle, or square pattern in the adjustment screen?
I thought the cyclic limits were already set in the previous screen, so why are they asking for more refinements in the last screen?
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prop bender View Post
AMains hobbies has a verity of double sided tape. I don't know if it's the same as beenflying uses though.
It's Tarot so probably not. I used the 3M tape that was mentioned earlier (Scotch clear mounting tape) and it works great. It's similar to a gel pad but thinner. Vibration analysis shows less vibration than with the foam. Still getting a spike of around 300ish at the RPM frequency of the tail rotor with occasional spikes close to 400 (everything else around 100 or below). Main rotor RPM seems good with everything below 100 except the RPM frequency which is around 200. Later on I'm going to take off the head strap it down hook it up to the computer and try balancing the tail blades.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
OK. I have the dot centered.
My cyclic joystick pattern is a square. Should I use a circle, or square pattern in the adjustment screen?
I thought the cyclic limits were already set in the previous screen, so why are they asking for more refinements in the last screen?
You are checking for binding in the interactions between the various head parts at the extremes. The REC setting makes the cyclic ring less circular (I honestly don't know why you would want that) 0 is a perfectly circular cyclic ring.

Increase collective to maximum, put the stick in each corner and rotate the head, check to make sure nothing touches anything else, repeat with full negative collective. Increase the Elevator and Aileron till you see binding then back it off a little. Pay special care to links brushing, I had the edge of the swash driver arms on my RJX head passing within a fraction of a millimeter of the inside of the ball link arms of the lower swash (so close a piece of paper would not fit between them) at the extremes on the swash and never felt any binding as I turned it. I didn't like the arms passing so close so I backed it up a little.

Quote:
I'm using an 8mm ball on a Hitec HSG-5084 and have it set to 100% left 70.3% left. I can actually get it to 75% before the servo complains but I like to back it up slightly to make sure. slider goes all the way toward the left and almost all the way to the right (there's about 1.5mm of additional travel possible in this direction) The servo is actually capable of turning father than the gyro allows however.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Aug 05, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The red dot is just where your stick is, it doesn't really mean anything. You set the elv and ail as high as it will go without mechanical binding in the head at the extremes. The REC setting makes the cyclic ring less circular (I honestly don't know why you would want that because it just increases likelihood of binding in the corners)

Increase collective to maximum, put the stick in each corner and rotate the head, check to make sure nothing touches anything else, repeat with full negative collective. Increase the Elevator and Aileron till you see binding then back it off a little. Pay special care to links brushing, I had the edge of the swash driver arms on my RJX head passing within a fraction of a millimeter of the inside of the ball link arms of the lower swash (so close a piece of paper would not fit between them) at the extremes on the swash and never felt any binding as I turned it. I didn't like the arms passing so close so I backed it up a little.
That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

BTW I have the Robird. I'm using my Walkera V450D01 for a testbed for the gyro. I really like the Robird especially the fact that I can set it up on my computer, and also check vibes. I have about 15 flights on it now.
I had a crash a couple of days ago due to a connector comming loose, and just went through the setup again after completeing the repairs. The tail is very quiet but I'm chasing down vibes at 1800, and 2300 rpm. It's a little tippy until I get the rotor up to speed for liftoff, probably caused by the vibes.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:10 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,967 Posts
Just to clarify the servo limits tab is for setting the maximum travel (without binding) of the servos in the axises of the sticks (not the corners). To stop binding in the corners of the sticks, use the cyclic ring setting on the tail tab.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

BTW I have the Robird. I'm using my Walkera V450D01 for a testbed for the gyro. I really like the Robird especially the fact that I can set it up on my computer, and also check vibes. I have about 15 flights on it now.
I had a crash a couple of days ago due to a connector comming loose, and just went through the setup again after completeing the repairs. The tail is very quiet but I'm chasing down vibes at 1800, and 2300 rpm. It's a little tippy until I get the rotor up to speed for liftoff, probably caused by the vibes.
That sounds like what happened to me when I had cyclic gains set too high, it would try to tip over on takeoff.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Just to clarify the servo limits tab is for setting the maximum travel (without binding) of the servos in the axises of the sticks (not the corners). To stop binding in the corners of the sticks, use the cyclic ring setting on the tail tab.
I understand what it's for now, thanks for your help.