HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
You might have some binding developing in the tail slider assembly ?Right servo frequency,servo going bad?Let us no what you find?
Steve
Already checked that, mechanically there is nothing wrong with the tail. HSG-5084 is 333mhz 1500us. Servo was working perfectly 2 days ago with the old gyro.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:52 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
I set my max rate on the slider control under performance settings for both to 24 and my cyclic pitch speed is very fast now but didn't seem to change roll and yaw speed as much, just an FYI if your looking to speed up cyclic pitch speed.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:31 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
Can you please clarify this, Steve, as I think it's important. Do you mean cyclic pitch or collective pitch and did you mean to use yaw?

BTW, congrats on 1000 posts.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
I set max rate on aileron to 24 and elevator to 24.Makes pitch changes quicker but doesn't seem to make it roll or flip faster. Sorry for the wrong terminology , it's easy enough to give it a try and go back.
Steve
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:21 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
That sounds backwards. Pitch doesn't change with the rates.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,200 Posts
Last night I completely tore down the tail, replaced all bearings, changed out tail rotor shaft and checked that bell crank was completely free. Still had the same problems with the HSG-5084. Is it possible for ail/elv gain to affect the tail? I was trying out an Emax tail servo and having similar problems. I noticed that the helicopter was wobbling visibly during piros so I lowered the elv/ail gain pots to try to get rid of this and the tail seemed to get better. I'll try the HSG-5084 again later.

How do I know when I have the elevator and alieron gain set right? The helicopter never develops the shakes and I can pretty much just max out the pots and the only effect is that it tries to tip over on the ground and wobbles during piros.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Aug 03, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
That sounds backwards. Pitch doesn't change with the rates.
I just reset my other heli to 22 on both and again my cyclic changes pitch quicker but doesn't speed up the roll and flip,maybe it's mislabeled?Has anyone else tried ?
Steve
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:22 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
Thanks, Steve. I'm about to try it myself. I had also noted in the 7HV video in post 4, that they were using 26 and 23, and I was planning to try that this weekend.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:47 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
I just flew 26 aileron and 23 elevator, and it definitely has an affect on the collective pitch, so thanks for suggesting this, Steve. It almost seems to be a combination of damping and agility, on the cyclic, which is also reflected into the collective pitch.

My advise with this gyro would be to fly as high a setting on the Maxrate's, as you feel comfortable with. As you progress past just hovering, aim for max rates 22 or above and use expo to reduce the sensitivity.

My advanced settings for this flight were:
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:44 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
That's what I thought was going on but I mostly feel it as quicker pitch with a little affect on Aile and elev.Im going to up mine a little at a time!
Steve
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Remove quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:48 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
I'm really happy with this gyro now. Just had another flight and, if anything now, I feel I could remove the extra half a degree I added to the collective pitch. I really enjoyed throwing it around this time.

Negative pitch descending forward flight, pulls out smoothly now, whereas before it would always bounce back up, unless I was really careful.

The tail seemed a bit more sensitive around middle stick then I'm used to with my normal expo setting, yet the piro speed was about right for me. Perhaps that why I've seen others with -25 in the gyros tail expo.

Gyro gains are still at 3 o'clock. Increased tail brake CW to 4 and tail MaxRate to 58.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,200 Posts
Problem solved I think. When I mounted the gyro I thought it would be a good idea to not use the cheap foam pads it came with, so instead I put some fusano gyro tape on either side of the metal plate and used that. As it turns out this was a bad idea. I remounted the gyro with just the grey foam and the tail holds perfectly now.

I still don't like this stuff though, it lets the gyro wiggle around too much and when you plug in the USB cable it can twist the gyro out of alignment slightly. Anyone know of any good quality flybarless gyro mounting pads that can replace this stuff?
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:26 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,880 Posts
I use this foam on all of my gyros, including the 3GY v2 and the beastX. No straps needed and flies great:
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=7649
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I use this foam on all of my gyros, including the 3GY v2 and the beastX. No straps needed and flies great:
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=7649
Is there a US source for that?
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:03 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Is there a US source for that?
AMains hobbies has a verity of double sided tape. I don't know if it's the same as beenflying uses though.
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender