HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
I just ordered one of each of Hobbykings new Ntm motors for my Beam.One is 6s 1700 kv and the other is 3400 kv 3s.I also ordered 2 Nanotech 1300 batterys which say they can be charged at 5c!The Ntm 1700kv motor is rated at 30a continuous or 46a for 5 seconds, that's 666 watts to 1000watts at 22.2v.Anyone have any advice before I install my rocket engine!
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Ya, it's probably going to blow up before 750w.

Edit:
I am talking about the motor.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by boredom.is.me; Aug 01, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Holy cow, Steve! What are you gonna do with 1000W on a 450? Use it as a circular saw?

Try to keep that HS below 4000rpm and take a few steps back
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Holy cow, Steve! What are you gonna do with 1000W on a 450? Use it as a circular saw?

Try to keep that HS below 4000rpm and take a few steps back
or considering HK motors aren't necessarily efficient, it could create the same head speed, but show as more watts (1000) because it is turning current into heat, just like most cheapo HK motors....

Wattage is just Current (Amps) multiplied by voltage. simply increasing wattage is doing nothing for power. You can have a 1500 watt 450 that id a DOG because its a piece of crap motor!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
I figured to keep the headspeed at my current 3100 and don't think I could load a 450's blades ever enough to reach those watt levels.Just looking for o bog flights, long run times and cooler running electrics.
Steve
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:32 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
+-19 pitch! Moonshot! Sounds like fun
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:19 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,788 Posts
Hobbyking don't know how to calculate motor watts. The 6S motor should draw half the current of the 3S motor, otherwise flight times on the 6S motor would be half of the time using the 3S motor. Watts are calculated by volts x amps. There is no way the HK 6S motor would draw the same current as the 3S motor. The windings in the 6S motor would typically be half the thickness and twice the length. So expect the 6S motor to still be around 400 to 500 watts.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:27 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Hobbyking don't know how to calculate motor watts. The 6S motor should draw half the current of the 3S motor, otherwise flight times on the 6S motor would be half of the time using the 3S motor. Watts are calculated by volts x amps. There is no way the HK 6S motor would draw the same current as the 3S motor. The windings in the 6S motor would typically be half the thickness and twice the length. So expect the 6S motor to still be around 400 to 500 watts.
Actually it would be half the area. Half the thickness would mean 1/4 the area.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for unequal travel of elevator and aileron servos. Every CCPM helicopter I've ever set up had more or less elevator or aileron travel that had to be adjusted out in the swash mix.

If I want (for example) 6 degrees cyclic do I do this with DR on the transmitter or with something in the flybarless setup?
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:09 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for unequal travel of elevator and aileron servos. Every CCPM helicopter I've ever set up had more or less elevator or aileron travel that had to be adjusted out in the swash mix.

If I want (for example) 6 degrees cyclic do I do this with DR on the transmitter or with something in the flybarless setup?
thats just it, with flybarless its all done via computer . it has the same settings as my futaba radio for setup for CCPM . i need to put my radio in fixed pitch mode with aileron and elevator.

the cyclic i setup on the radio with expo and dual rates , i dont remember if that setting is on the computer setup .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:17 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,036 Posts
Quote:

With the Robird you set the top and bottom points for all 3 servos in one-go for maximum collective pitch required, and you set how much cyclic is needed to give you 8 degrees nof cyclic, and finally you set the maximum servo movement before you get binding. WIth these 3 settings the FBL unit knows your geometry and can sort out the rest.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Where can I find info on what the settings like Swash in/out do?
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:02 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:

I did this with the software on 2 birds. The 450 flys (flew) awesome! Still tweaking the 500 but flys ok (developed a piro problem).

I set mine on the swash travel tab in John's software. If I set to the limits it has freakish amount of pitch. I simply measured the blade pitch while setting this feature.

Right wrong or indifferent, just the way I did mine to get 11 and 8 degrees.

Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Well it flies. The Ino Lab HGD 260's are very strong, strong enough to pinch my finger hard if I carry it carelessly. Was able to set ali/elv gain almost to max with no shakes.

The tail isn't right though, I have to set the ball to 8mm and drop the rudder gain to 28% (65 on the transmitter) to stop it from wagging. However this also results in a vague mushy tail and a lot of yaw on climb out. I'm using a Hitec HSG-5084 as the tail servo. The cheap $20 Tarot GY550 I was using before held the tail like it was locked in a vice. Nothing has changed in the tail except the Robird. What am I missing here?
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
You might have some binding developing in the tail slider assembly ?Right servo frequency,servo going bad?Let us no what you find?
Steve