HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,120 Posts
I think I've figured out how to mount the receiver and gyro inside the frame. Remove the gyro tray, mount the receiver inside the frame under the tail boom mount and put the gyro on the bottom plate directly under it.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
I had a couple of flights with my 450 Pro 3GY yesterday, and I have to say it flew pretty well. I increased the collective pitch to 12.5 degrees and set the cyclic gains to 3 o'clock. Tail stop is also good now with the CCW brake set to 2. Time to start upping the cyclic rates and I will probably take collective pitch to 13 degrees.

I still haven't tried different blades yet. I must do that...
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,735 Posts
I'm running some carbonfiber 335mm 3D blades from Hobbyking ($6?).They work pretty good and I have on order some Tarot fbl blades to try.I have noticed that the Hobbyking blades are inconsistent in sets for equal flex and that has got to be a problem.Whats everyone running and what's the best bang for the buck in mainblades??
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:36 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
On the 450's I've been using Align's 325D 3G blades (I got a few sets for $12) and the ALZRC 325mm FB blades. Currently I'm running a cheap set of eBay 325mm CF blades on the heli with the 3GY.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:23 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,282 Posts
I have been running cheap fiberglass blades from ebay as well without issues. I also recently bought 3 sets of carbon blades from hobbycool. Will try those soon as well.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
KST servos and the G31

I've decided to go back to the starting point with the servos. I've ordered a set of the KST215MG servos and hopefully should get them next week. The Robird setup videos show them being used and I've spoken with Liu from Robird and he also recommended them. KST servos aren't a brand that I've seen here in the US so if any of you guys have had experience with them I'd appreciate hearing about it. Also, if you've used them with the Robird G31 I'm REALLY interested in your comments. Thx........
SDHeliPilot is offline Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
782 Posts
I'm getting ready to install the Robird with a DFC head on my 450. Has anyone compared the manuals for the Robird, ALZRC and Black Widow? At first glance, it looks like the BW manual is going to be most helpful and the smoothest read. I'm assuming they're all interchangable?
krefi is offline Find More Posts by krefi
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
I've decided to go back to the starting point with the servos. I've ordered a set of the KST215MG servos and hopefully should get them next week. The Robird setup videos show them being used and I've spoken with Liu from Robird and he also recommended them. KST servos aren't a brand that I've seen here in the US so if any of you guys have had experience with them I'd appreciate hearing about it. Also, if you've used them with the Robird G31 I'm REALLY interested in your comments. Thx........
I'm using the Kst 215, awesome servo at 7v and my servo arms are at 10mm.Also using it for a tail servo and also awesome!!I had a crash that broke two servo arms but no servo damage( still very smooth).I have been using Kst servos for the last 6 months and while some early batches had some weak main shafts the current ones are good.Alofthobbies sells them for $26 and $1.50 for spare arms or $6 for gear sets.There the least expensive and in the USA!I'm running the Align Dfc head in my Beam and that's why I run 10mm on servo arms(12.5 works to but it feels more solid at 10mm)!
Steve
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Jul 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add detail
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
KST servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
I'm using the Kst 215, awesome servo at 7v and my servo arms are at 10mm.Also using it for a tail servo and also awesome!!I had a crash that broke two servo arms but no servo damage( still very smooth).I have been using Kst servos for the last 6 months and while some early batches had some weak main shafts the current ones are good.Alofthobbies sells them for $26 and $1.50 for spare arms or $6 for gear sets.There the least expensive and in the USA!I'm running the Align Dfc head in my Beam and that's why I run 10mm on servo arms(12.5 works to but it feels more solid at 10mm)!
Steve
I don't have a DFC head (yet) but I've heard they put more strain on the servos and the rotorhead arm bearings. I'm encouraged to hear that the KSTs hold up on the DFC. I can remember - are you using the Robird/ALZRC fbl controller? I will check out the Alofthobbies website, thanks for pointing that one out.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:43 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,735 Posts
Two Robirds, one on a Beam with 215 and a Copterx BlackAngel with 115's.Both work great but the 215's at 7v are noticablely faster.
Steve
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:10 PM
RobirdUSA.com
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
Alofthobbies

Aloft is almost in my backyard, maybe 40 miles north of San Diego. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
I don't have a DFC head (yet) but I've heard they put more strain on the servos and the rotorhead arm bearings. I'm encouraged to hear that the KSTs hold up on the DFC. I can remember - are you using the Robird/ALZRC fbl controller? I will check out the Alofthobbies website, thanks for pointing that one out.
The DFC 600 blade grip arms were also exploding till Align issued a fix.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,735 Posts
I used to worry about the Dfc breaking but after over 100 flights on each Dfc head( 1 Align Dfc, 1 Tarot Dfc 450)and no play any where I think the 450 version is ok.I do notice spool down vibs but I think that is because I run the blades tighter with the Dfc heads( seems to work better).
Steve
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Curious, are you guys getting the robirds or one of the other rebadged ones? And what site are you ordering them from?

Ken
Daddy. is online now Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,735 Posts
I bought the Robird version from Himodel for $66.
Steve