Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
On the Beam the bearings are on each side of the maingear so when I spun the shaft I could see the gear wobble other wise I couldn't tell it was bent.Looks like if I bent it any worse it would take out the bearings!I love how easy this gyro is to set, I have my roll rates at 22 and am amazed how quick it is, and still have the tail at default settings, tryed zeroing them but default was best( no bounce ).My second Robird should be here in a few days and that one is going in my BlackAngel .
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:21 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
On the Beam the bearings are on each side of the maingear so when I spun the shaft I could see the gear wobble other wise I couldn't tell it was bent.Looks like if I bent it any worse it would take out the bearings!I love how easy this gyro is to set, I have my roll rates at 22 and am amazed how quick it is, and still have the tail at default settings, tryed zeroing them but default was best( no bounce ).My second Robird should be here in a few days and that one is going in my BlackAngel .
Steve
What did you try zeroing on the tail? I zeroed the expo (I have expo set on my Tx), and I've also reduced the BrakeCCW to 2. I love it that you can change these settings without powering up the heli.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:34 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
I'm using the expo that's on the Robird and zero on my tx.On the tail ,I left at 3 for both sides, I tryed 2 on each and had a bounce.Beenflying did you try it at default settings first or make some changes and then fly, just curious as the defaults seemed pretty good?I changed my expo to 1 from a minus1 which quickened the controls.
Steve
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Jul 23, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Add detail
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
ALZRC 3GY V2 arrived today. Unlike the Robird G31 it doesn't come with a blank safety plug.

How are other people mounting this thing in a 450 Sport? There's not enough clearance to mount it on either side of the gyro tray without it touching on the other side. The only way I can see is to remove the gyro tray mount the receiver on the bottom plate and hang the gyro on the outside of the frame. Should I use the metal plate or just foam in a 450? I'm worried that foam/plate/foam will allow the gyro to wiggle around too much.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jul 23, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
I was wondering about that,why the metal plate with the aluminum housing?Maybe try it both ways and see what the vib says?
Steve
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
ALZRC 3GY V2 arrived today. Unlike the Robird G31 it doesn't come with a blank safety plug.

How are other people mounting this thing in a 450 Sport? There's not enough clearance to mount it on either side of the gyro tray without it touching on the other side. The only way I can see is to remove the gyro tray mount the receiver on the bottom plate and hang the gyro on the outside of the frame. Should I use the metal plate or just foam in a 450? I'm worried that foam/plate/foam will allow the gyro to wiggle around too much.
gyro mount /w dampening metal plate in between 2 foam is to reduce vibration transmit to gyro, especially for large birds or nitro one. 450 should be fine /w 1 foam unless you experience a lot vibrations.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
What I was wondering is why they include the metal plate with the aluminum housing version and not the plastic version?Do they think that more people will install in nitro birds or is it nessasary because the aluminum transmits more vibs?My therory is it will test with higher vib numbers than the plastic model without the metal plate.Someone test this therory please!
Steve
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
RobirdUSA.com
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
82 Posts
450 size helis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post

Because there's not a lot of extra real estate on a 450 size heli don't use a seperate receiver. The gyro supports Spektrum satellite receivers as well as Futaba S.bus. Going this route avoids having to use the extra receiver and all of the associated wiring between the receiver and the gyro.
SDHeliPilot is online now Find More Posts by SDHeliPilot
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:15 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
used the stock align 450 pro shaft , not the DFC shaft.
How do you manage that? Did you use longer links from the servos?
krefi is offline Find More Posts by krefi
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHeliPilot View Post
Because there's not a lot of extra real estate on a 450 size heli don't use a seperate receiver. The gyro supports Spektrum satellite receivers as well as Futaba S.bus. Going this route avoids having to use the extra receiver and all of the associated wiring between the receiver and the gyro.
If I had a Spectrum or Futaba TX I would do that but I don't. Maybe when the Deviation firmware is released I'll will but for now I have to use a receiver. Even with a satellite I'd still have space problems as the electronics tray has to be removed from the frame to be able to fit the gyro inside (it will fit, but with foam under it the top will touch either the boom holder or bottom plate)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:26 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
Installed Another Robird

Went alot faster on install and made my cheaper heli (BlackAngel)just as great as my Beam.It really equalizes the price difference that I put into each heli!Also got the vibs low on this one too.Might have to buy a third.
Steve
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
What I was wondering is why they include the metal plate with the aluminum housing version and not the plastic version?Do they think that more people will install in nitro birds or is it nessasary because the aluminum transmits more vibs?My therory is it will test with higher vib numbers than the plastic model without the metal plate.Someone test this therory please!
Steve
I don't think it had anything to do with the metal case. I think they just decided to add it for big nitro helis, to make the kit more complete.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi View Post
How do you manage that? Did you use longer links from the servos?
yes . i used the 450 v1 links . i have a few of those still , the links worked out perfect.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
What has been the best price and where on this gyro and/or it's rebadged names?

And what US suppliers are there?

I think Mike likes it better than the beast, others have direct experience?

What's appealing to me is the vib log.

Maybe I should just quit beating around the bush and get a vbar...or a Sikorsky S-76C++

Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:23 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,652 Posts
I liked my Robird so much I bought another , I like them , great gyro !
Steve