HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:15 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Discussion
CBM F16 Thinking about Making a Mold

I have a NIB CBM F16 and am thinking about using it to make a mold. What are my options. I know I could do it in Glass or Hydrocal is there any other options. Could it be done in two halfs with the tight area around the duct.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Apr 2004
804 Posts
Glass. Light, easy to handle, durable, pliable (important to release part at times. I have molds that are 20yrs old and still in great shape. Probably will take more than just two parting/splitter boards. Look at a F-16 that is in glass. The seam lines will give it away.

steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:09 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I know Ted Goodwin cut the front section of the duct off or molded it as one mold and the fuse in 4 pieces I think. Do you think its possible to do 2 halfs a third for the front section of the duct. Leave the 2 back speed brakes off and make small molds for them and a mold for the tail cone with the feathers.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:28 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Im a bit puzzled in this post he says he did the mold in 4 parts and shows a 3 parting boards. Then in the next post he shows a 2 part mold Im confused.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:50 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Wow 150 views and one reply. Its all good maybe I will go over to RCU with my build. Im sure I can handle the job without any help. It will be a learning curve for sure. I got the same treatment in the Chimera Build a handful of people ever replied. This used to be a helpful forum when I joined back in 2004.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:51 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Where can I find some info on your plane? Can't find it anywhere!
I would go glass, but how much money do you want to spend to make a mold? Is the plane worth spending 500.00-700.00 on makeing a mold? Read Tumblers thread on Molding the Blaze. I have talked with him, and know he has spent well over that for his mold. Post a link for thread #4 , I'd like to see the thread.

I just made a male mold of an F-86F, not counting the materials for the mold, just glass , resin, and all the other goodies, I have over 130.00 in it easy. Not counting all the time. Personaly, I don't think it's worth the time and money.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:19 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Teds thread is of a scratch built f16 and he uses a method using sand it is supposed to take a lot of time and cost out of it. Because you don't have to keep adding glass and dabbing out the air pockets. It is alot heavyer but they say if you do it correct it will make for a really nice mold because the weight of the sand pushes the glass down on the plug. I will see if I can post a link to his thread.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:23 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83045 Here is a link to his thread. Im not too worried about the cost as Im going to take my time and chip away at it. I will probably just do a glass mold but I might try the sand cast on the smaller items. Page 7 is where the pics I posted are at. The other thing about sand cast is they do not flex so if you need to twist the mold at all to get it off your in trouble.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:46 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
I have heard of the sand method, but don't know the particulars. If you want to plunk away with it, I say go for it. Hell, I was called nuts to do what I'm doing.
It will be a learning experience, for sure!

I hope to find out tomorrow how well I did on my fuse. I forgot to weigh my plug before I started, and it's been driving me nuts on how much it will end up weighing. Good Luck
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:57 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I have done some reading on the sand cast and it sounds way easier than having to add all the layers of glass but the weight scares me . This f16 I have is 68in length and 45in. span From reading you just put one layer of glass then mix epoxy and sand add 1/4inch layer packing it on to the glass so it is helping form to the plug then another layer of glass one more layer of sand then glass. If you get a chance read up on it. I might just start with the small parts and see if I like the sand cast and will get the no how from all the small pieces then when I get to the wings and fuse I will decide if Im up for the challenge of doing the fuse in sand or just glass. My main thing is Im not sure if I really need to do it in a four part mold or can get away with a 2 part mold if I cut the front section of the duct off. That has the deepest cavity which I believe could be hard to get the mold to release. The only other bad area would be the ventral fins are only extended from the fuse about a 1/4inch but they are at a bad angle and could be hard to get the mold off. Well good luck with yours. I will probably start mine soon. The other guy in here that I have seen go against the grain and do a kind of reverse mold which I like and it seemed quick. I cant remember his username it may be Lmeano from beano sorry dude if I butchered your username but I like his mold he did with Hydrocal but once again heavy and I do not think it would be good for mass production. But Im not after that anyway. If someone was to want one or so that would be one thing but this will be for my own use.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:32 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
i'd do some small parts first ...are you using any gel coat or surfce coat so you have a nive smooth surface with no glass weave "marking off"
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:07 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I have not thought about it yet I need to do it the cheapist way possible. Isn't gelcoat a homemade epoxy mixed with pigment or can it be bought. I kind of like the clear look like Tumbler has done and cheap as possible. A/S a few questions. What weight glass do I want to put over my foam plugs. How many layers and what is the best weave to use so it will lay right over the tough angles and contours. Thanks Dave
Last edited by unclecrash; Jul 08, 2012 at 01:15 AM.