HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
United States, MI, Howell
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
Help!
newport12m

Hello my name is jim, I have a Newport 12 (wc12m) hull #516 in the late 80S I sailed with a amya club in Michigan . I no longer sailed the boat do to other things in my life (marriage and work) so it went into the shed (along with other things). My son and I were in there and he saw the bow of it pointing out from the top shelf so we pulled the boat down took the covers off. It was a little dusty, we put batteries in it and all the running gear worked. That’s when the fun ended; when I found the sails a squirrel liked it better for a home (what a mess).the mast is still one piece some of the guide wires have been chewed but it looks like it went thru a hurricane. I found sails for $175 to $250 what I am looking for is a set of secondhand sails that someone removed for a better set or “not” legal cheaper set to just put the boat in the water to play
liljimmy is offline Find More Posts by liljimmy
Last edited by liljimmy; Jul 04, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
Try posting this notice in the classifieds as well, a "Wanted" add. You could also make your own using your old sails as patterns. If it is just for fun, it is not all that hard. Just don't expect homemade competition quality sails.
Brad-
nikram58 is offline Find More Posts by nikram58
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:16 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
I thought about making my own sails, but the squirrel had a big house 90%main sail and 80% jib gone.
I can(the wife) make my own if anyone has the patterns
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:30 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
it floats

it floats and it don't leak
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
. I found on line sailcut cad, my son and I are having fun with designing our own sails and we are both learning about the technical parts of the sail. We are keeping with in the AMYA guide lines to keep the sails” legal”. I asked him if he wanted to just buy a set or make them to my surprise he wanted to go thru the whole process. Mom is happy to teach him to use the sewing machine. We found kite making web sites are a big help in the how to and we found ¾ oz ripstop at local fabric store in lots of colors for $7.99 yrd. This may take a bit longer but the knowledge is worth the wait.

Are there any places to get brass fittings on line?

http://sailcut.sourceforge.net/
(I found if you use the sailcut cad, make small changes and the program won’t glitch).
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
I bought most for my Newport from here, http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/ Very nice parts, but priced accordingly. Roger is a great guy to work with. Make sure you let him know what you are building.
Brad-
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
Love the tattered sail.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
Got the sails built using sail cad, wife , and kite building websites
Very light winds in the pool and it moved !! My son and I sailed around the pool for a hour or two
Can’t wait to hit the pond
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:39 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
Took the kids and the boat out today. kids fished, it rained, and I sailed.. what a GREAT day
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:37 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,041 Posts
Looks great! The Sail CAD program looks interesting. How did you go from the program to the cloth?
And are you planning on putting a few white stars on the jib?

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
When you change any thing in sail cad make small changes or it might lock up (save save and resave )
Then print to pdf file save, from that pdf then print again to pdf with resize to aprox 395% then print out the longest panel on paper, then place paper end to end (overlap) recheck overall measurement from the x y mark. need to do the longest do to you may not see the 1 or 2% adjustment needed on the head of the sail(smallest)adjust up or down prepare for a lot blank sheets just refeed them into the printer or give to the kids ( to draw sail art) when you have the right size print cut and tape ,lay out on rip stop nylon make marks use a ¼x ¼ x 3ft long piece of wood to do the arks and cut with sodder iron (use the kit building websites for the how tos ) glue panels together , bribe the wife to sow them and DONE
The jip was cut out of an old pice of faded rip stop to play with it was blue it looked good so it staid
(I wanted to get into the water )
I got the plans printed out to make the jib; yes it will be blue and have stars when complete (I think it will look good)
Last edited by liljimmy; Sep 22, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
One other thing, leave some over hang on the leech and luff. luff side needs a hem and to make the leach round nice and neat from one panel to the other(final cut)
I wonder if the dxf file can be sent to laser cutter and get aluminum temples made .Then cut around them ? That would have made it faster
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:08 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
317 Posts
just a thought, could the pannels be lasor cut?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
992 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...53&postcount=8
This has the correct plans, if you're interested.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:20 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,041 Posts
My last employer (Harken Inc) had a very nice CNC fabric cutter. It was 60" wide and could cut lengths of many, many feet with the crawling bed. We did boat covers with panels 15 feet long often enough. It used either an oscillating blade (up and down) or a drag knife depending on the material. The computer files were DXF's, which are generic CAD files. The material to be cut was held down by a very large vacuum and cover sheet film (if needed). This machine is common to a lot of industries, like boat covers, awning makers, clothing manufacturers, or fiberglass/carbon fiber layup, sign making, apholstry, etc. If any of those are nearby you might be able to get someone to cut the panels for you. We did a lot of 'government' jobs at the end of the day.
Another machine to look for is a water jet cutter. It will breeze through the sail cloth with ease. I had a toolmaker friend use his companies water jet to cut a router template for me. The template was 1/4" plywood. He double up two 4' x 4' sheets and cut them at once. The cutting took about one minute and the kerf was so fine that the loose pieces did not fall out of the pattern.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave