Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Discussion
Nakajima Rufe as an ARF?

Would anyone else like to see some of the WW-2 floatplanes like this (Zero on floats) done by the manufacturers? There are so many subjects; Arado Ar-196, Vought Kingfisher, Mitsubishi F1M "Pete", among others. To my mind, it would look far more logical doing aerobatics with one of these than say a Catalina or a Widgeon. There are a few from WW-1 era as well.

John
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
France, PACA, Peille
Joined Sep 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Would anyone else like to see some of the WW-2 floatplanes like this (Zero on floats) done by the manufacturers?
Yes ! Of course !

I found these ones :

http://ishii-mokei.heteml.jp/eng/pro...?product_id=46

http://ishii-mokei.heteml.jp/eng/pro...?product_id=45

http://ishii-mokei.heteml.jp/eng/pro...?product_id=44
Pascal06 is offline Find More Posts by Pascal06
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts

Thank you! Very nice, but "high roller" stuff. What I was hoping for was something more in the "ParkZone putting a Zero on floats league": lot's cheaper and more mass market.

John
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:28 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I would just convert an FMS Zero to a Rufe.
http://www.bananahobby.com/2265.html

Sea Plane supply said he could make some floats for this bird.
http://www.seaplanesupply.com/

Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
I would just convert an FMS Zero to a Rufe.

Sea Plane supply said he could make some floats for this bird.
http://www.seaplanesupply.com/

Walter
Excellent sir, but not a lot of people have the skill level you do (me included). What I was looking for was an "out of the box" set up along the lines of the Parkzone micro series.

JK
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Apr 2008
377 Posts
I agree that it would be nice for a few unique "out of the box" float planes. I believe the trouble is some, like the Rufe' have a pretty high wing loading and might not be easy to fly for the "newbies" and will discourage others from purchasing them. All it will take is one or two who are unsuccessful with them to spread a possibly unearned reputation. I have the Dynam PBY which is a superb flyer even in 10-15 mph winds. I fly it off grass and water and have read some posts that said it didn't fly well at all. Totally untrue but that is what some post said. I do know of other accomplished builders who have tried to take some examples of the E Zeros out there and convert them to Rufe's with some to little success. The average park flyer would have a very hard time I would assume. I am a balsa builder and have a scale BT kingfisher built and a Marutuka Rufe kit on the schedule. Sometimes, more than often, if you want to be different, you have to go out and build it. Years ago there were many different types of models being flown because everyone had to build. Now, the models are "cookie cutter" because the common models are mass produced. You might find that building is even more enjoyable than flying or at least, as enjoyable. Then you could have almost any model you wanted without being the "same old thing" at the pond.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chistech View Post
I agree that it would be nice for a few unique "out of the box" float planes. I believe the trouble is some, like the Rufe' have a pretty high wing loading and might not be easy to fly for the "newbies" and will discourage others from purchasing them. All it will take is one or two who are unsuccessful with them to spread a possibly unearned reputation. I have the Dynam PBY which is a superb flyer even in 10-15 mph winds. I fly it off grass and water and have read some posts that said it didn't fly well at all. Totally untrue but that is what some post said. I do know of other accomplished builders who have tried to take some examples of the E Zeros out there and convert them to Rufe's with some to little success. The average park flyer would have a very hard time I would assume. I am a balsa builder and have a scale BT kingfisher built and a Marutuka Rufe kit on the schedule. Sometimes, more than often, if you want to be different, you have to go out and build it. Years ago there were many different types of models being flown because everyone had to build. Now, the models are "cookie cutter" because the common models are mass produced. You might find that building is even more enjoyable than flying or at least, as enjoyable. Then you could have almost any model you wanted without being the "same old thing" at the pond.

Agreed, I have been at this over 50 years now and time and energy of late are limited though...

JK
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:51 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I'm telling you that FMS 1400mm Zero is a floater. It would make a sweet Rufe! With foam floats and maybe go from 4 cell to 5 cell.

TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
I'm telling you that FMS 1400mm Zero is a floater. It would make a sweet Rufe! With foam floats and maybe go from 4 cell to 5 cell.

I don't doubt it, but you still need the skils to do all that happy stuff, which I don't have.

JK
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
No thanks, there is enough complete crap flooding the US market from China. If a person isn't skilled enough to attach a set of floats to a plane they aren't bright enough to be flying one either. Just an observation.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:12 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
No thanks, there is enough complete crap flooding the US market from China. If a person isn't skilled enough to attach a set of floats to a plane they aren't bright enough to be flying one either. Just an observation.
And thank you for that positive and uplifting post, Gray Beard.

Personally, I do not agree with you. I see a lot of guys that fly quite well these days that are not builders and have no desire to be builders. This proves they are bright enough to fly a seaplane (or any other type of model) that they do not have the skills to build, so your premise is incorrect.

Why rain on their parade?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 07, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:27 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinTX View Post
Excellent sir, but not a lot of people have the skill level you do (me included). What I was looking for was an "out of the box" set up along the lines of the Parkzone micro series.

JK
One reason that you will not likely see any Parkzone ARFs of WWII seaplane warbirds is that the market is simply not all that large. And the aircraft are not as popular as normal WWII fighter warbirds. For every active electric seaplane, there are probably 200-500 active non-seaplane models.

The manufacturers will simply sell more normal warbirds than they will ever sell of the more obsure types like the Kingfisher and the Arado 196. Popularity drives the market.

There are a few exceptions, but not for fighter type seaplanes. To me it makes perfect sense to release popular seaplanes like the Widgeon and the Catalina. These are popular in their own right, whereas the Vought Kingfisher is simply not much pursued by the average modeler.

Even a modeler of limited skills could figure out how to gen up a version of the Wildcatfish, the F4F on floats that was built in WWII, using commercially available twin floats. Same thing for the Spitfire on floats.

I do have a GWS Zero stashed away to eventually convert to a Rufe, with a carved foam float.

There are a few exceptions out there. Maxford USA did an interesting Hansa Brandenburg WWI Seaplane ARF, but it is currently out of stock. It is a little pricey and not foam. Maxford kits can be a little problematic, as well.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/hansabrandenburgw29.aspx

PS. the Rufe and the Zero was made by Mitsubishi, not Nakajima...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 07, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
And thank you for that positive and uplifting post, Gray Beard.

Personally, I do not agree with you. I see a lot of guys that fly quite well these days that are not builders and have no desire to be builders. This proves they are bright enough to fly a seaplane (or any other type of model) that they do not have the skills to build, so your premise is incorrect.

Why rain on their parade?
I said attach a set of floats, what a mind boggling job, it's almost as hard as patching a tear in your covering.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
I said attach a set of floats, what a mind boggling job, it's almost as hard as patching a tear in your covering.
That is not all you said..read your post... You also had a rant about your feelings about Chinese ARFs and a general insulting dismissal of folks that do not build.

I agree, it is not all that hard to add floats to a model.

I get tired of modelers slamming other modelers over how they choose to enjoy the hobby. I will never insult anyone for building or not building, but I will take exception when insulting remarks are posted.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
That is not all you said..read your post... You also had a rant about your feelings about Chinese ARFs and a general insulting dismissal of folks that do not build.

I agree, it is not all that hard to add floats to a model.

I get tired of modelers slamming other modelers over how they choose to enjoy the hobby. I will never insult anyone for building or not building, but I will take exception when insulting remarks are posted.
I am very sorry, I'm sure you are one of the many people that are happy with the quality of these little planes and thrilled with the lack of work to get into the air with one. I on the other hand feel they can create a better product for the money they are asking for these items.
I did a very nice review on another site on the AeroWorks Extra 260 E. An outstanding little plane with some quality built in. It isn't the normal useless little toy that requires replacing after a hard landing.
Some people are happy with this low end garbage being imported, my grandson is one of them but he is only 6 and easy to impress.
If you can operate a screw driver you can add floats to almost any plane you like, {even the little toy planes. Good luck with your endeavors.