Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:35 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Boooo! nasty wife!
In the US of States, my understanding is that a chap having a 'nasty wife' would be something to be jealous of.....

............I'll get me coat
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Might be able to post the bones photos soon if the wife will leave me be for a while.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:07 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Should be able to get some done today,I glassed the wing center between chores yesterday and fitted the rest of the shear webs.I did get some flight time in on the SE-5A this morning before the soccer players took the field over.Now I need to find some stock for the jig to laminate the wing tips and start fitting capstrips.The plan is to have the elevator and wingtips done for the photos.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
Very inconsiderate of them to want to play soccer your aeordrome
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:03 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Best not to argue with the soccer folks they took another field here for the youth soccer program and kicked the modlers out for good.Wing is capstriped goinng to start the tips,some times I wonder how many miles of capstrips I've fitted over the years and other times I just don't want to know.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Glad to hear you are making progress Rab. Actually fitting cap strips is one of my favourite jobs - something theraputic about cutting them accurately and pre-curving them by running them under a dowel so they just "click" into place. Enjoy!

Soccer players can be a pain. Many years ago a sports field had been booked and paid for for a major thermal soaring contest locally. There was a big entry, 60 or 70, and everything was just being set up when two soccer teams turned up and insisted that they were going to play on one of the pitches. It was pointed out to them that (a) the field had been fully booked months in advance and (b) model aircraft could be dangerous, something which produced guffaws of mirth and derision from these participants in a "manly" sport at the thought of "toy aeroplanes" being dangerous. However, they insisted they were going to play and started a match. The field was big enough, and although we could have done without having our ears assailed by the constant shouted obscenities which football seems to require, we carried on with the contest. I was timing for a clubmate of mine when his model suffered a radio failure at about 800 feet, resulting in it entering a ballistic trajectory dive which was clearly going to end in the region of the soccer pitch. Now this was a 12 foot, 4 pound model, and it was travelling, so we tried to warn them but, gathered in one penalty area for a corner kick, our shouts of "heads" and "look out" were ignored and they failed to notice the whistling approach of the model - they noticed it though when it buried 10 inches of fibreglass nose into the penalty spot! The referee promptly ran over to us waving a red card!! They did finish the match, but I think they took our warning seriously after that and there was a good deal of nervous glancing at the sky to the detriment of their ball control.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Some of the bones,the laminated tips will be drying for a day or so due to the wood glue used.In the morning I'll bend up the main gear so she won't have to be propped up on the epoxy box at the back of the wing in the photos.The flaps and ailerons are yet to be built but should go quick as they will be sheeted over solid rather than ribs and caps as the wing is.Time to dig out the motor and make up the spacers for mounting it and final fit the cowl hold downs.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:03 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
She's looking great!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2007
526 Posts
Nice model. You are close to the end now! What are you going to use for covering?
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:07 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Covering will be ultra cote,thinking of pearl white for the base not shure about the trim yet.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Dark Blue would look nice with pearl white.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
I don't know if ultra cote is the same as oracover, but I am busy covering a model with pearl white oracover now, and it is a real ^%(^% to use compared to other colours by the same company . . . it just shrinks in the most peculiar ways for some reason
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
After a bit you get used to it owl,the pearls in all the colors act a little odd.The fleet may be done in all pearls with the blue and yellow added to the white.