HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Help!
Plantraco kit help.

Hi, for a science project I recently ordered a Deluxe Starter Set #2 from plantraco. However, when the kit arrived we noticed that the parts weren't as we expected and we had been given the Micro9 4 Channel PlugnPlay 0.95g Receiver instead of the 3 channel receiver.
Once we had read through the pretty bad instructions we assembled all the components and initially the motor spun momentarily but unlike the instructions stated the receiver did not make any tune. We then removed the battery and tried again but this time not even the motor responded and all that happens is the actuators vibrate. We have been re-reading the instructions and trying everything to get it to work but the receiver doesn't seem to respond.
We emailed Plantraco about whether the new receiver was not compatible with the other components and they told us it should work and that we were given the 4ch as they had sold out of the 3ch.
So really we're a bit stuck and any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Wakerley is offline Find More Posts by Wakerley
Last edited by Wakerley; Jul 04, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
The startup tones come from one of the actuators. The RX generates the tones, but you won't hear them w/o an actuator acting as the speaker. I think the RX sends the tones to the rudder actuator on the 3-channel RX. There should also be an LED on the RX that blinks to tell you what is going on.

Make sure the battery is charged and the magnet terminals on the battery and RX are free from debris.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
The startup tones come from one of the actuators. The RX generates the tones, but you won't hear them w/o an actuator acting as the speaker. I think the RX sends the tones to the rudder actuator on the 3-channel RX. There should also be an LED on the RX that blinks to tell you what is going on.

Make sure the battery is charged and the magnet terminals on the battery and RX are free from debris.
Ok, we've checked the battery many times, you could be right about the actuators making the tones though, because we got a 4ch but still only 2 actuators we always left the aileron socket empty, maybe thats the one that would be making the tones?
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:40 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,388 Posts
Or it's not pairing up. The red light on the RX should blink rapidly, then when you turn on the TX, it will blink much slower (like a countdown), and then you should have control of the RX.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P View Post
Or it's not pairing up. The red light on the RX should blink rapidly, then when you turn on the TX, it will blink much slower (like a countdown), and then you should have control of the RX.
Another thing to check if it not pairing up is make sure the TX is not in "simulator mode". Check the instructions for the power on stick positions to toggle the simulator mode.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:28 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I don't know if it was just mine, but I had to have a plug in all ports for the rx to work. When I first got into RC, Plantraco sent an actuator with broken leads. I had the 3ch version though.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, I have a feeling it'll be because of the missing actuator so the receiver won't pair with the transmitter, I'll give the simulation mode thing a go though, thanks.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Ok, we tried all the suggestions and unfortunately they didn't work the only options left are that either all actuator sockets have to be full in which case I'll buy another or a part of the set-up is faulty, thanks for your help
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:39 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
All I did was put a plug in the socket and that seemed to work.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:46 PM
Sydney
Joined May 2004
326 Posts
If you are going to fly with three channels use the aileron (for rudder control) and elevator sockets and leave the rudder socket empty.
The 4ch works the same as the 3ch. Noise comes from the coils not sure which ones.
Test all your actuators. Either use a multimeter on ohms, you should read something between 50 and 100, or a single LiPo battery which will just move the actuator to full motion.
Its easy to break the thin wires so handle them very gently.
If you do not get any resonse from the meter or battery, then you have a broken wire, most likely at the coil end which is very hard to ocate and solder up, I have never been able to do it but others have.
You can also test the RX outputs by inserting the motor plug into the actuator sockets but do not move the sticks to full movement as the motor may draw too much power for the rx.
The other common problem is the Bohama magnet contacts. I have seen tiny bits of dirt or even glue in or around the magnets which prevent the magnets making proper contact. You can clean grit out with stickytape but may need a sharp model knife to remove glue spots.
phil stevo is offline Find More Posts by phil stevo
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Well I checked all the things you suggested today and they worked as you said they should so I really have no idea what we've done wrong, here's a picture of how we've got it set up just in case it's something really stupid.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...0&d=1341593075
Last edited by Wakerley; Jul 06, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Leave the motor unconnected for the time being.

Power on the TX and connect the battery. Report exactly what the LED on the RX does. You should get some tones from one of the actuators even if the the transmitter and receiver do not sync up. Try moving the aileron actuator to the rudder socket and repeat if it makes no noise.

You may not be able to hear the tones if the bare actuators are just sitting on a soft cloth. Set them on the bare table top, a piece of glass, or something else that the vibrating actuators can resonate on and listen carefully. It will probably only be a faint "buzz".

Generally, you should get a "happy" series of tones and then a count of the channel it is using. If the LED is flashing regularly at about 2 sec. intervals, move the sticks while watching the actuators. They will appear to slam from one extreme to the other because there is no physical load on them.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Power on the TX and connect the battery. Report exactly what the LED on the RX does. You should get some tones from one of the actuators even if the the transmitter and receiver do not sync up. Try moving the aileron actuator to the rudder socket and repeat if it makes no noise.

You may not be able to hear the tones if the bare actuators are just sitting on a soft cloth. Set them on the bare table top or a piece of glass and listen carefully. It will probably only be a faint "buzz".
Ok, the LED blinks at a constant slow rate and both actuators buzz at that same rate just after the LED goes out.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
move the sticks while watching the actuators. They will appear to slam from one extreme to the other because there is no physical load on them.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
The actuators don't respond to the sticks moving, they just continue to buzz, I think the TX may be the problem.
Last edited by Wakerley; Jul 06, 2012 at 02:44 PM.