HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by The Don, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Informative Thread and a nice setup Don!
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:36 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
I flew two flights today on some brand new 4S 2200 40C packs and boy was it hauling. We had about a 10 mph wind down the flight line and some of my passes via RCspeedo were in the 125-130 mph range (that is with a tailwind on the fresh pack). This is really an awesome light setup on this model, glad I used it. I had a blast flying it today.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I flew two flights today on some brand new 4S 2200 40C packs and boy was it hauling. We had about a 10 mph wind down the flight line and some of my passes via RCspeedo were in the 125-130 mph range (that is with a tailwind on the fresh pack). This is really an awesome light setup on this model, glad I used it. I had a blast flying it today.

Don
Please check out ya PMs please :-)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
381 Posts
Quote:

Don
Hey Don,

I'm runing your same set up that I ordered from you and the balancing and a 40c make all the difference in the world. My thrust tube is at 80% FSA. I have no problems with hand lauching with that tube and the top end is simply amazing ! Nice work on the plane and on your recommendation for fan/motor set up.
cbr600f2 is offline Find More Posts by cbr600f2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
Glad you like the setup. People are amazed when I take out the lipo and hand them the model which is only 16 ounces less lipo, they can not believe how light it is and also how fast.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Glad you like the setup. People are amazed when I take out the lipo and hand them the model which is only 16 ounces less lipo, they can not believe how light it is and also how fast.

Don
That's cool ;-) Pretty soon I hope to enjoy the F-16 setup as well!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,398 Posts
Don,

What was the FSA on your thrust tube for your set up? Thanks.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:43 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
80% fsa
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
My Phase 3 EF 16 using a Wicked plus EDF 4400 KV motor watt meter test....

Wicked Plus EDF Motor 4000KV with Cobra ESC watt meter test (0 min 51 sec)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
I wasn't planing on flying with a 4 cell TP 1800 mAh battery... It was the only battery around during the video :-) Those are my 450 pro helicopter batteries that are really beat!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don, ya motor ROCKZZZZZZZZ!!!!! I wish to make a better/clear clip than this.....

Phase 3 EF16 with Don's Wicked RC 4000KV motor (2 min 15 sec)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
Looks good! Glad you guys like it. I sadly just lost my F16 do to both tailerons coming off in flight. It was one of my favorites as it was so light and yet so fast. The kit I had when I built it already had the reinforcements glued on the stab area on the fuselage. That is where it failed. They must not have been glued on well from the factory as it did not break where I added the carbon but forward of that, right where the reinforcement ended on the fuselage side and looking at the wreckage the last half inch of the reinforcement was not glued to the body very well. It was a hot day and I think the glue they used softened in the sun a little. I was surprised it broke there as the foam is pretty thick in that location. Both came off at the same time when I was in a shallow dive at full power. :-(

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Looks good! Glad you guys like it. I sadly just lost my F16 do to both tailerons coming off in flight. It was one of my favorites as it was so light and yet so fast. The kit I had when I built it already had the reinforcements glued on the stab area on the fuselage. That is where it failed. They must not have been glued on well from the factory as it did not break where I added the carbon but forward of that, right where the reinforcement ended on the fuselage side and looking at the wreckage the last half inch of the reinforcement was not glued to the body very well. It was a hot day and I think the glue they used softened in the sun a little. I was surprised it broke there as the foam is pretty thick in that location. Both came off at the same time when I was in a shallow dive at full power. :-(

Don
Oh no :-( Sorry for your loss!!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:46 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,398 Posts
Quote:

Don
I had the exact same thing happen to mine on the maiden this past Sunday. Only difference is it was only the left side. Maiden was going great, had done a couple of high speed passes and was starting another. Was just coming out of a very shalow dive and was alomost level and hit full throttle. A second or two later the left taileron ripped off. It came off at the same place you are describing, right ahead of the carbon tube i put in.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
381 Posts
If you fly these with any type of 4S power set up you need to do the full taileron reinforcement mod. The kit version comes with the templates to use (they may be posted on here somewhere as well). Some use carbon sheet, I just used ply.

Found It: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at..._Templates.jpg

The reinforcement pieces get embeded quite far into the fuse and you can basically pick up the hole plane by the two taileron extensions and swing it around its so strong.

Sorry Don, but perhaps its worth another build from the Kit version !!

Cheers.
cbr600f2 is offline Find More Posts by cbr600f2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cbr600f2; Aug 29, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: found template pic