HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:20 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Help!
RC club fields located on public land

Hey guys, our AMA club has been flying for the past couple years at a huge soccer park owned & maintained by the Parish ( that would be County for you folks in Loma Linda).
We've built a good working relationship with the Park Admins and are pushing to get some improvements done. We have "claimed" a large un-used part of the facility as our own and they have been real good to us keeping the grass mowed.

We're on the docket at the next Parish Park Board meeting to make our pitch for what type of improvements could be made. I've been in contact with the AMA and the flying site assistance guy was very helpful and sent me a powerpoint presentation to use.

What I need help with is some links to towns/counties around the country that have built RC parks on public lands.
RC may be something totally new to some of these Board members. Having some print outs and web sites of other public RC parks would show how huge RC is around the country.

thanks, Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, MS, Starkville
Joined May 2009
119 Posts
I used to fly at the Aerodrome at Cedar Creek Park in Wantagh, NY.

Have to be an AMA member and the annual park fee is a source of revenue to the County. Not sure if thats the direction you want to take but there ya go. It also doesn't require you belong to a club which was great for me, really kept start-up costs down.

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...edarcreek.html
jmd87 is offline Find More Posts by jmd87
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:34 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Our "home"!

http://www.ozarkflyers.org/

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
I actually have two fields (nice ones) nearby here in the southern half of Nashville.
http://www.ewmaclub.org/
http://mtrcs.com/index.php?option=co...d=43&Itemid=56

What are you going to ask for?
Paved strip
Bathrooms
Electricity
Shade
Heat

Good luck!
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,393 Posts
http://www.vintauri.com/forsberg-fie...th-mankato-mn/
here is a good one to use, its about and hour from me , the field is not AMA sanctioned either so it is self maned but ran well, thru my club ive heard many good things about this field, ill get down there some time to.
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:11 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Julian
A little vague here, as I've been out of the scene a little of late, but we moved to Chicago a while back. It's in 'Cook County', which has around nine areas in the county's 'forest preserve' areas. These are dedicated model flying sites, maintained by a mix of county and local model aircraft club. The club I fly with has a good site, handy parking, safety fences and so on.

Don't have the links on this iSpend, but try googling 'Checkerboard RC Club' and 'Cook County forest preserve' - there are links on the CC site to the flying fields. The info there may give you some ideas or good info.

Hope that helps

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:19 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,495 Posts
SEFSD at Mission Bay, San Diego. If those guys don't know how to deal with flying on City land, nobody does!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,021 Posts
http://www.sgvrcl.org/
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:13 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,092 Posts
Valley Forge National Park
http://www.vfss.org/index.php?option...tpage&Itemid=1

Benjaman Rush State Park
http://www.neprcc.org/
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TomM; Jul 04, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
http://ccrc.info/
The Cobb County Sports Aviation Complex (the CCRC facility), is supported by the Cobb County Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department and sports both paved and grass runways, separate helicopter flying area and a covered pit area that can accommodate 18 fixed-wing and 12 rotary-wing pre-flight work benches. Each bench area has an AC power source nearby to meet any electrical needs.

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:59 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Wow!!! thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. ...keep 'em comin'.
Those are some nice flying sites.

Quote:
What are you going to ask for?
Paved strip
Bathrooms
Electricity
Shade
Heat
We're gonna keep our expectations low but shoot for the moon.
At the very least we'd like them to grade our end of the park and plant some good golf course type grass. The soccer fields out there are unbelievable. Super smooth dirt work and the grass is like a carpet. Where we fly at it's just mowed field grass. We can fly on the soccer fields but we'd have to (and do sometimes) walk out there to a good field.

The guys in the club agree that we'd rather have a canopy(s) and electricity than a paved strip. But once we're on their annual budget radar, more improvements could be down the road. There are already bathrooms (with A/C) and water nearby so that's not a big concern.

Heat??? hehehe
Down here in Louisiana the winters are about one week of 40 temps.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
You are asking for a LOT. A 600x60 runway paved with fine grained tennis court asphalt cost PBRCA in the vicinity of $50k and that was with a club member doing it at cost.

If there's no 4KV POCO lines in the general area, running poles/power any sort of extended distance gets prohibitive unless a major facility is being built.

If there's no sewer lines in the vicinity, same goes for bathrooms.

My recommendation is keep your demands modest and you may get SOME of them. Go in asking for the stars and they may just turn you down flat.

The county mows the PBRCA grass areas, provides approved signage, and porta-potties, the club had to do all the rest.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Lcaa.org might give you some ideas too. Loudoun County Aeromodellers in Banshee Reeks Park, In VA, are old buddies of mine from my days around there.

Basically, everything on their flying site has to be minimal impact. For example, their lawnmower shed cannot be fastened to the ground - it sits on wooden railway sleepers that are laid on the ground.

As an aside, they recently installed an electric flight battery recharging bench. This supports a lot of chargers fed from golfballing cart batteries mounted under the bench top and recharged by a solar panel array.

Good luck

D
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:19 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
At a proper computer, and in addition to my last-but-one posting:

http://checkerboardrc.org/

Is the club I fly with on one of the "Corrupt County" flying sites.

http://fpdcc.com/recreation/model-airplane/

Is the county's page about model flying sites. If you can get anything out of the county lot, you're doing better than most residents!

As above, don't go in there asking for a scale model of an international airport. Checkerboard, as above, built their own model stands, safety fences, transmitter impound shelving and so on. I suspect that a request for a paved strip on the taxpayers budget that is massively in debt would be met by a form letter from a county minion, if the requesters were lucky

You'd be lucky comparing yourself to a soccer field. DC RC, the Washington area's biggest and oldest club, got booted off their county supplied field to make way for a 'Soccerplex', which many of the local county govt. PooBaas and Iams were desperate to build. DC RC moved out a few miles to a new strip. A massive indoor soccer pitch got built, plus lots of outdoor pitches.

Which is now losing money like crazy, because no-one bothered to asked the players if the new site might be a tad too far for most of them to drive to...

Suggests that aeromodelling is way below ball moving sports in the grand scheme of local government spending, so if you can get yourself a big, flat spot with decent access and a flat runway, you could be doing good.

DC RC went on to build themselves a tarmac runway on their new site, but it's a pretty well-off club all round and strong rumour has it, the club's ruling class needed tarmac as they'd bought all the models they could and wanted to buy turbines, which need tarmac rather than grass. But that's being cynical...

Incidentally. Watch out for neighbours at whatever patch you're offered. It only takes one who doesn't like the noise of a slimer to get you booted off real quick. I've flown in three clubs - one in England, one MD, one in IL - that shared similar fates from very small protest groups. In the case of the MD club, one guy with friends at the top of the local county pile was enough. The US two clubs are both now 'quiet flight only', and the MD club even managed to get back onto the site it lost to noise.

D
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Well, attended the Park Board meeting last nite and it was awesome! Our presentation blew them away.
We had a couple planes on display, a big 6' Edge 540, my F-105 EDF and a home foamy. Trying to cover the whole spectrum of RC.

Hooked a projector up to a laptop and showed a short video on the wall of our group flying various planes. Then one of our members laid out our proposal while flipping through a power point on the projector. I wrapped it up with a brief history of our club growth and how RC activity is booming in our area.

Then several minutes of Q & A which went pretty smooth.
For most of the Board members it was something totally new as they never really saw RC airplanes/flying first hand. Got good vibes from most of them though.

The Admin offices are adjacent to the park so when we left the meeting we went out to the field and did some flying.
Later I found out that several board members watched us from under the canopy at the building entrance.

One of our club officers did run into a board member after the meeting was over and was told that it looks like they'll be able to "do something for us".