HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:47 AM
ZippoGeek
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2002
370 Posts
Discussion
Why are multi-rotors so popular?

I don't see what the fascination is with multi-rotors. I just...don't. They seem easy to fly (read: boring). I thought R/C flying was supposed to be about building and flying challenging aircraft. When I see a multi-rotor, all I can think is, "big deal." Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get them...
zippogeek is offline Find More Posts by zippogeek
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:52 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
I don't see what the fascination is with multi-rotors. I just...don't. They seem easy to fly (read: boring). I thought R/C flying was supposed to be about building and flying challenging aircraft. When I see a multi-rotor, all I can think is, "big deal." Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get them...
They're popular precisely because they're NOT an *aircraft. They're a platform with which to do things.

*Yeah, I know, they're an aircraft, but not a traditional fixed-wing or conventional helicopter. I consider an 'aircraft' something capable of some control and flight after losing all engine power.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:20 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
We eat what is put in front of us. Marketing people want to sell the latest car/diet/food/younameit and flood the media with ads of such. We, the consumer start to get used to seeing them after a few ads have sexy ladies placed there to get our attention.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:26 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,738 Posts
As Froggy said, they are quite useful for aerial photography/video. Put a bunch of LEDs on - instant UFO. I think they are pretty cool toys, but too pricey for me.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:00 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
As Froggy said, they are quite useful for aerial photography/video. Put a bunch of LEDs on - instant UFO. I think they are pretty cool toys, but too pricey for me.
Then you havent checked out Horizons MQX then, $139 BNF.......BTW all helis regardless number of blades are glorified rocks w/o power,doesnt make them anyless aircraft.
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:05 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
Then you havent checked out Horizons MQX then, $139 BNF.......BTW all helis regardless number of blades are glorified rocks w/o power,doesnt make them anyless aircraft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation
saltyzoo is online now Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Still too pricey.

Agreed. An aircraft is generally defined as a vehicle that can fly by gaining support from the air through the use of an airfoil. A helicopter flies by rotating its wing, so is therefore an aircraft. Of course fixed wing pilots have another theory about helicopters; that they fly only because they are so ugly that the ground repels them.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,738 Posts
BTW OP, it seems you believe that RC has to be hard to be enjoyable. I love flying a model that will lazily loiter aloft on a warm sunny day. Just kick back in a beach chair, even take a quick nap while its up there - fun times.

Hey where'd my plane go?!?
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:53 AM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:

A friend of mine was on the flight line with his .60 size heli one day. We heard an engine die and he started saying " someone is dead stick". About 6 or 7 seconds later he said " ohh it's me!" And made a turn from downwind to land a few feet in front of us.
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:27 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Multirotors are great
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:29 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
I don't see what the fascination is with multi-rotors. I just...don't.
People who pursue a particular hobby and then get good at it can become bored with it.
So anything that comes along that is "different" is bound to generate a lot of interest for a bit.
Not that long ago, almost no one dabbled with electrics, but now, it's "the rage".
Like anything else, fads come and go, so watch for many people to go back to fuel engines and all sorts of shifts in the hobby.

I'm still waiting for anti-gravity engines. That will be very, very cool.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:42 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Still too pricey.

Agreed. An aircraft is generally defined as a vehicle that can fly by gaining support from the air through the use of an airfoil. A helicopter flies by rotating its wing, so is therefore an aircraft. Of course fixed wing pilots have another theory about helicopters; that they fly only because they are so ugly that the ground repels them.
Price I guess is relative... I've also have another multi that sells for thousands retail...I prefer my MQX to it .
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Price I guess is relative...
Heck yeah it is. $139 is 1/3 of my next AR upper.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:24 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
611 Posts
I built mine myself, ish.
Soldering all the LEDs up was hard enough as was playing with the software to make it fly.
Easy?
It's as easy as you want to make it.
Oh and orientation is still a bit of an issue with me, I just don't get the time or the weather to fly the thing.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:29 AM
ZippoGeek
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2002
370 Posts
Quote:
btw all helis regardless number of blades are glorified rocks
lmao!
zippogeek is offline Find More Posts by zippogeek
RCG Plus Member