HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
72 Posts
Discussion
My ideas for Skysurfer/Bixler FPV setup

I've been assimilating all the info I could regarding Bixler/Skysurfer builds. I came up with my own implementation that I'm hopeful for. I like the idea of a pod for the fpv gear. Without this it's a mess inside the cockpit. I built my own with a shelf system to hold everything. With this I can have the Rx, vTx, OSD, battery, and even an auto pilot conveniently located. It allows me to do all the wiring between these components with the pod out of the plane, which makes it a lot easier. The only thing that has to be connected to the plane is the ESC and the servos. This happens as the pod is slid into the cockpit. I glued the servo couplers into the pod to form a sort of bulkhead connector. I did this so that connectors wouldn't be dangling. I also implemented a different way of attaching the wings. I heard the rubber bands were troublesome. I know they dry out rather quickly, so I went with extension springs. Problem solved! I rerouted the aileron servo connectors so they didn't need to be fished through the fuselage when installing the wings. There you have it. A setup that can be transported easily, as the wings are removable, and all the gear is conveniently arranged.
Rogue.insight is offline Find More Posts by Rogue.insight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:02 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,411 Posts
looks really well constructed and takes care of a few issues indeed well done.

The only definite must-do changes I would highly recommend are:

1/ add a second spar for the wing. The spar system in these birds is definitely inadequate once you add any FPV weight! I mean this in all seriousness

2/ angle your FPV camera so it is looking down by about 10-15 degrees. This goes for any FPV plane - otherwise you are looking at sky too much and can't navigate very well without diving. Also less interesting view to enjoy.

Did you upgrade the motor and prop yet? The oem power can be a little weak, but still do-able.

It's a great FPV platform. Mine gets used more than any plane I own, and is still in pristine shape because it is so reliable and easy to live with.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:24 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,869 Posts
Wow man that's great. How does it go interference wise?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:27 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
Nice build! I'm sure you've seen mine. A large equipment pod is definately the way to go with the Bixler/Sky Surfer.

Have you encountered any issues from mounting the receiver so close to the video transmitter? Looks like you've got a low pass filter installed, which will definately help. I chose to mount my receiver in the tail, and use a 10-pin Molex style connector to link the receiver and servos to the pod.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
72 Posts
I haven't thought of a good way to get the vTx and receiver further apart. I have a sat Rx out further on the body. I think that'll take care of it. I haven't flow yet so I'm not sure about interference. Yes I saw your gear pod, which is where my inspiration came from, so thanks for that!
Rogue.insight is offline Find More Posts by Rogue.insight
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,411 Posts
I put my Rx in the belly behind the CG. I also cut a quick access hatch back there. But then my Rx antenna is on the vert stab (UHF)

(hey, can see the 2nd spar in this pic)

BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker