HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:19 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Tried had tossing mine a while back. It just went up 10 feet then back down and broke behind the motor. I repaired it, but thought I would get an new fuselage.
They are only $34, BUT $27 for shipping !!!
Guess I will wait until good WX and see how it flys.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:46 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Sweet we are really close. Maybe we should get together sometime? I am just on the other side of 77 and have been looking at EE Waddel School as it has a bit of space too. Not a ton, and of course the occasional fence and tree, but best I have found so far. I will ride by your spot sometime, as on that side the airport traffic should be better than on my side!
I'm in high school still (Weren't expecting that were you? ) And I work, if you ever plan on coming by where I fly we could meet up and fly some. I've been doing FPV for about a year so I'm not a newbie either.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,715 Posts
Sweet, I don't really care if you are any age, just as long as your parents don't care. This hobby knows no age limits..,.. only money limits...

I will PM you after I check out the field.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
Hey guys!

Just ordered some zippy compact 4s 5000 mah batteries to try in the penguin.

I am running the 2815 motor + apc 9x6 with a plush 60 amp esc. Does anyone know if I will be able to tell a difference in thrust or flight times over a 3s 5000 mah battery?
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey guys!

Just ordered some zippy compact 4s 5000 mah batteries to try in the penguin.

I am running the 2815 motor + apc 9x6 with a plush 60 amp esc. Does anyone know if I will be able to tell a difference in thrust or flight times over a 3s 5000 mah battery?
I don't know about flight times but a buddy just brought out his new Penq yesterday and he had the 2815 on 4 cells.

WOW! The takeoff run compared to mine on a 3 cell, 5500 was cut to less then half and he went almost vertical (not on purpose ) with no hint of falling out until he nosed it over to get it under control .

I came home after that and started rummanging thru my lipo box and found a couple of 4 cell 5000's that are going in my Penquin next weekend.

As to flight time, a friend once told me that when you compare a 3 cell to a 4 cell, think of a bucket of water with 3 holes in the bottom comapred to a bucket with 4 holes. Yes your flight time will be reduced but you should be able to even that out because of a reduced throttle setting at cruise.

After Sunday, my son got off the fence and just ordered himself a Penquin. That'll make 3 of them at our field.

Just call our group, "Chilly Willy and the Penquins"

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling as usual. but I had to give uo on "rummanging" :)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:33 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
I don't know about flight times but a buddy just brought out his new Penq yesterday and he had the 2815 on 4 cells.

WOW! The takeoff run compared to mine on a 3 cell, 5500 was cut to less then half and he went almost vertical (not on purpose ) with no hint of falling out until he nosed it over to get it under control .

I came home after that and started rummanging thru my lipo box and found a couple of 4 cell 5000's that are going in my Penquin next weekend.

As to flight time, a friend once told me that when you compare a 3 cell to a 4 cell, think of a bucket of water with 3 holes in the bottom comapred to a bucket with 4 holes. Yes your flight time will be reduced but you should be able to even that out because of a reduced throttle setting at cruise.

After Sunday, my son got off the fence and just ordered himself a Penquin. That'll make 3 of them at our field.

Just call our group, "Chilly Willy and the Penquins"

Yabba
Thanks for the reply Yabba!

Yea im getting around 40 minutes cruising with my 3s 5000 with full fpv gear. I thought I would try out a 4S to be able to climb to my cruising elevation faster. I will do a full test and comparison once I get the 4s into my bird.

The only drawback with getting just a 4S is that my esc is programmed for 3S batteries in which I have lots of those. So I will have to reprogram the esc to 4S and then change it back for 3S:/

Other then that the Penguin is my favorite FPV plane yet!

Thanks again,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
855 Posts
Finally got my penguin after sitting on the fence for ages, it was the freight that was the main reason I was hesitating then out of the blue a local Australian store starts stocking them, what? How cool so I investigate and find out the store in in the same city where I live cool! Pulled the trigger and received it two days later.
Maidened on the weekend checked everything 20 times got a mate to chuck it and what a non eventful flight! No trim adjustments needed at all ( it did need a few grams of lead on the tail to compensate for the 2 3s 4000's up front)
Landed put on the goggles and fpv'd straight away flight times where around the 45 min mark but it was windy!
Will try and get some pics up - stills from a mates gopro on a skywalker, he has a habit of sitting on my tail in flight
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:38 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,715 Posts
Here is mine, and I will maiden her when we get good weather. Supposed to be good on Thursday, then back to 20mph gusts on the weekend. No fpv gear really yet, just put the pan/tilt on for nose weight. She is going to scream I think on 4s. Right now has a 4s 4000mah powering the Turnigy 1100kv 3542 and a 9x6 prop. I was too lazy to put it on the watt meter tonight, but it is a little scary. This motor is now discontinued and I can't find the specs for it, so will just have to see how it goes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:37 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Sweet we are really close. Maybe we should get together sometime? I am just on the other side of 77 and have been looking at EE Waddel School as it has a bit of space too. Not a ton, and of course the occasional fence and tree, but best I have found so far. I will ride by your spot sometime, as on that side the airport traffic should be better than on my side!

Yes, this is the issue, so my rule of thum lately has been stay lower than the mid/highrises. Not hard to do with a quad or my swift, but I think with the Big P it might be harder.

Who are you referring to? Me? If it is me, then thanks a ton for that info, I am a dummy when picking motors. I was hoping to stay with a 9" prop, 2 or 3 blade, but go 4s since I have lots of big 4s batts.

I have this motor at home (or at least teh older version of it at 1100kv), as am gonna try it at first with a 9x6.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

I powered it up last night and it screams. I hope it can hold together, but it sounded like a banshee.
That is more than enough motor!
Flat out with 4S and an APC 9x6 you'll see 12,700+ rpm which will push your Penguin to better than 60mph (75mph pitch speed). It'll make better than 40 oz of unloaded thrust (75+oz static). And you'll be yanking close to 38amps (100% of max) depending on the condition and specs of your battery and ESC.

It'll run like a champ! However, do not run this motor with 4S and an 11" prop because it will be way too easy to pull too much current and cause the smoke to come out!

An excellent prop for this motor would be a Graupner eProp, 10x5. These are really efficient, quieter and come very well balanced. You would see a small decrease in plane speed but your max amps should be right on the money (for this motor) at near 38amps and your overall efficiency would go up a good amount. Lastly, use a pusher prop if you can as they don't have a tendancy to loosen the prop nut.

Cheers!
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mark_q; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:39 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,715 Posts
Thanks Mark for all that info. Now I am glad this motor was just laying around. I used to have it on 3 cells on my T28 Trojan.. I look forward to trying it out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:05 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,465 Posts
Hey Kids....
RcModelReviews just posted part 1 of a review of the Penguin:

Review: FinWing Penguin FPV (part 1) (14 min 18 sec)

Enjoy,
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is online now Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Last edited by xxD-Manxx; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:40 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,457 Posts
My horizontal stabilizer ripped off on a gentle landing in some tall grass. Looks like the servo horn got caught in the grass and ripped it off.

Any solutions? I suppose i can move the horn above the horizontal stabilizer but it would give it an ugly look.

Luckily i have a spare and landed a few times now without issues. Perhaps it was just a fluke. Anybody else have this problem.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
My horizontal stabilizer ripped off on a gentle landing in some tall grass. Looks like the servo horn got caught in the grass and ripped it off.

Any solutions? I suppose i can move the horn above the horizontal stabilizer but it would give it an ugly look.

Luckily i have a spare and landed a few times now without issues. Perhaps it was just a fluke. Anybody else have this problem.
Yep, first time grabbed, it didn't rip. But, I thought it might.
So I run mine on top. Easy to do. Just mount the horn on top, and pull the control rod and sleeve up and glue it in place.

Just seen the video and yes, I think a stronger 3 blade would be better. It really does bend in flight. And I like the 3 blade.
Can't wait to see the flight difference.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Last edited by Flybynight2; Feb 12, 2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,457 Posts
Thanks! I'll do that.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2010
956 Posts
Spot on the review. I paid extra for that canopy, and will not use it. The shark idea is awesome.

blueprint, the model is not a beauty to begin with, form follows function. Put it up top!
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409