HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:35 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2013
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
RMRC has a new shipment on the way if you don't want to deal with DL directly. Not sure on the exact date they will arrive, but should be next week.
Alright, I'm subscribed for the re-stock alert, so I'll definitely pick one up as soon as they are back in stock at RMRC.

Thanks!
s_linste is offline Find More Posts by s_linste
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:31 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,530 Posts
Hey guys. Im running a castle ice 75a with the castle bec.

Which of these motors would be best for my penguin on 3s.

NTM 3536 1400kv or the Stock M2814? Is there another motor that has a good balance of power and efficiency?
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
So, just maidened my Penguin and I had barely enough power to get off the ground. And I'm on a 5800 mah 4S and also tried on a 4000 mah 4s with same issue. I think its a timing issue, but thought that the stock timing should've be fine. Did anyone else have this issue? I did calibrate it to my Rx, but I'll try that again along with checking the programming.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:04 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
489 Posts
Try powering up with the throttle high after it beeps a few times go to low and it will arm, that is how you teach it your throttle range..

What motor and prop are you running?
fpvbasher is online now Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:11 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvbasher View Post
Try powering up with the throttle high after it beeps a few times go to low and it will arm, that is how you teach it your throttle range..

What motor and prop are you running?
Ya I'm pretty sure I did that sequence to teach/calibrate it. I'm using the big motor, 2815, I think it is. With a 9x5 Graupner eprop
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:17 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
I just realized that motor isn't rated for 4S, could that be my problem?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:21 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,124 Posts
Just asking, but...............have the prop on backwards?
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:30 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
No I actually flew two flight with it, but could barely climb. but think I may have found the issue. I found that the deans connector on my Eagle Tree OSD was corroded and barely making connection, maybe that would explain why the OSD was acting weird too.

Update: yep, just wire wheel brushed the tabs and bent the thin tabs out and now have a solid connection and MUCH more power.
Last edited by Cervanchez; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:43 PM
United States, Mt, Great Falls
Joined May 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman Raptor View Post
As a vacation destination, yes, many would be but you do not want to be an avid modeler here. Only one hobby shop here and the guy never has what you need and prices are somewhat questionable..its cheaper to order online but then you have to wait and I hate that.
same where i live thank god for the internet and rcg to learn from
jminardi is online now Find More Posts by jminardi
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:56 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my new Parkflyer.

2815 motor, 3 cell 5500mah, 9x6 APC. AUW, ready to launch is 4.75 lbs.

No GoPro, just #16 keyfob.

Penquin Parkflyer :) (4 min 24 sec)

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:18 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
755 Posts
Hey guys so I used the 3mm spacers on the top motor mount for the 2815 motor and wow! The penguin flies much better than it already did! When I reviewed the gopro footage it literally looked like it was completely still in the sky. I am using a fy31ap which helps, but I learn to love this bird more everytime I fly it.

Here is a little upgrade i did to use the canopy with the gopro. My PZ0420 is mounted on the nose right below the bottom screw that holds down the canopy. So they're no wires hooked to the canopy which makes taking it on and off lots easier. I also decided to line the inside of the hero 2 case with aluminum tape to cut down noise.

Cheers,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:25 AM
Australia, VIC, Brighton
Joined Aug 2007
27 Posts
FPV Camera?

Hi everyone,

Would anyone hazard to guess as to what the make and model is of the FPV camera shown in front of the GoPro camera in the photo below?

Thanks in advance.
Fade2Gray is offline Find More Posts by Fade2Gray
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:30 PM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
I just realized that motor isn't rated for 4S, could that be my problem?
The 2815 motor is rated for 4S. If you look at the Finwing website, it shows the specs for both 3S and 4S on that motor.

Kent
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:16 PM
Canada, QC, Châteauguay
Joined Jan 2013
355 Posts
I am seeing that a lot of you guys use the Dragon Link -- an obvious choice for FPV. But I also see a lot of cloverleaf style vtx antennas (and lots of mention of 800mW 1.3Ghz vtx, too).

Is anyone using DL along with a cloverleaf for video?

This is the root of my question: I figured the use of the DL implied hardcore FPV users with longish range in mind. Then, seeing so much cloverleaf throughout these Penguin threads got me wondering if an omni-directional video arrangement could cut it for users whose range needs required a DL. I figured everyone with a DL would be using patch antennas with head-tracking and maybe diversity.
s_linste is offline Find More Posts by s_linste
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:24 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_linste View Post
I am seeing that a lot of you guys use the Dragon Link -- an obvious choice for FPV. But I also see a lot of cloverleaf style vtx antennas (and lots of mention of 800mW 1.3Ghz vtx, too).

Is anyone using DL along with a cloverleaf for video?

This is the root of my question: I figured the use of the DL implied hardcore FPV users with longish range in mind. Then, seeing so much cloverleaf throughout these Penguin threads got me wondering if an omni-directional video arrangement could cut it for users whose range needs required a DL. I figured everyone with a DL would be using patch antennas with head-tracking and maybe diversity.
Cloverleaf (skew plainer wheel) are one of the best Tx antennas and is the reason why most everyone flies with them. Here are great videos on FPV and antenna selection. I tend to listen and agree with the folks who have flown FPV for some time like iBCrazy in that diversity and tracking systems are not nessassary for long range FPV. I myself have a home made cross hair I use. My son Nick, who is also my spotter, moves my antenna when I want to come in and land. Otherwise it does not need to be moved.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327

For radio control yes you are correct most fly with some sort of UHF system. I personally fly with Dragon Link for my FPV but revert back to 2.4 for my LOS birds. I have flown to the max range of my HiTech 2.4 with my quad. At one mile I lost control. 72 mhz is another option and is good for several miles but in my opinion the best way to go is a good UHF. One of these systems should be good for 10+ miles.

Here is my Penguin flying this weekend with the DL UHF antenna in one wingtip and my Vtx/antenna in the other.

New personal FPV distance record. (3 min 32 sec)
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods