HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:56 PM
Norway, Troms, Tromsų
Joined Sep 2002
163 Posts
If it ain't broken, don't fix it

In any case to get it perfect you might want to tune it so that it flies level both on and of throttle:

Shim on top will give more down thrust (or less up-thrust, depending at how you look at it).

Shim on bottom will give you more up-thrust (or less down-thrust depending at how you look at it).
ron-sand is online now Find More Posts by ron-sand
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:57 PM
Radian +2.4Ghz FPV = way to go
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
357 Posts
I know this might not be the perfect place for this question, but I know that many of you would have a solution which is why I post this here.

I have a dynam 185 sonic rc glider and when I chuck it into the air it just wants to barol roll left. I trimmed its ailerons and rudder all the way to the right which keeps it more steady but now performans is decreased and battery is drained ( do to the extra drag as the ailerons and rudder stick out like crazy).

Im sure this has happened to someone elses plane before. does anyone know what I should do to fix this so I dont have to be flying trimmed all the way to the right?? (like a couterbalace, etc).
thanks
redodedo is offline Find More Posts by redodedo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey guys I have no spacers on my motor mount and the penguin flies pretty good. Do you guys recommend the 3mm spacers on the top of the motor mount?

Thanks
Mine is doing much better with spacers on the bottom. No more lurching upward on throttle.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
637 Posts
thanks guys ill try it out and see how she does!

Much appreciated
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey guys I have no spacers on my motor mount and the penguin flies pretty good. Do you guys recommend the 3mm spacers on the top of the motor mount?

Thanks
I have mine on the top like in the manual, and it fly's great! I find the penguin to be the best hand lunching aircraft I have. I lunch it with about 1/2-3/4 throttle and I do a long steady lunch dropping down to one knee. My penguin flys right out of my hand and heads straight out to the horizon with a slight climb.
Maxintheair is offline Find More Posts by Maxintheair
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:03 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,237 Posts
This is all too weird...
Because it is a pusher and the motor is mounted behind and above the CG, top spacers should drive the nose more down under power.

However the actual results vary and they vary a lot. So, I wonder if it is a thrust/wash problem? That is, since a significant amount of the prop wash hits the top of the horizontal stab, could this overcome the normal thrust angle application?

Just a random hmmmm?
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Norway, Troms, Tromsų
Joined Sep 2002
163 Posts
It depends a lot on your CG and the incidence of the tail to main-wing. In addition it depends on the accuracy of the built in angle in the motor pod..... And not to forget any offset (trim) on the elevator to level the model.

A lot of variables here you see.

I have read that the tail/main-wing incidence can vary from kit to kit. Mine was set at 3.5 degree positive which i way to much for my style of flying. I reduced it to 2 degrees and it suits me much better. I also have the CG at 90-95 mm (85 mm as per manual).

So there you go. This is a big part of the explanation for the different thrust angles reported
ron-sand is online now Find More Posts by ron-sand
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:14 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2004
30 Posts
Has anyone opened up the main wings? I'm trying to install the lighting system but I'm having hard time fishing the cables through. I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it.
sutors is offline Find More Posts by sutors
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:25 AM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,184 Posts
I made small holes in the hollow sections to run my DragonLink antenna and VTx wires out to the wing tips. I then used needle nose pliers to pull them along and covered the holes with extreme tape when done.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2010
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutors View Post
Has anyone opened up the main wings? I'm trying to install the lighting system but I'm having hard time fishing the cables through. I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it.
I ran wires from the servo outboard. Strobes powered by servo power.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:31 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutors View Post
That is the one thing I think they screwed up on this was the preglued bottom wing panels. I fished all my stuff through the wing which is a huge pain.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:14 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2004
30 Posts
Yeah. I agree. They should not have come preglued. I'll try what cactus suggested..
sutors is offline Find More Posts by sutors
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
693 Posts
I used the servo extension cable which was already in place to pull through a dummy line to attach other things I wanted to fish through the channel. One way to do it.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:36 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
I used the servo extension cable which was already in place to pull through a dummy line to attach other things I wanted to fish through the channel. One way to do it.
I used a dowel. I needed to get a antenna extension in one wing and antenna in the other.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:20 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
637 Posts
Hey Guys I'm thinking about going to a 4S battery to run the 2815 with the APC 9x6E Prop. What are you guy's thoughts on this setup compared to a 3S 5000mah pack?

Flight Time?
Thrust?
Max amps on esc?

Look forward to hearing back from all you nerds (including myself) on RCG

Cheers,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys