HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99 View Post
Flew mine again today with my GoPro 3 attached. Winds were 10 - 15 mph. Flew great with the washers at the bottom motor mount holes. I guess as the commercial goes - "your results may vary" when it comes to setting the thrust line of the motor. I also found that the upgraded canopy will get blemished by sunscreen ( it was in the mid 70s today in Texas !) . I tried cleaning the blemishes off with dishwashing liquid with no luck. Also used windex - no change. If you buy one be very careful!
Great news Stuart! About the washers anyway . I also flew mine again, just down the street from Stuart, same winds, full FPV gear, Gopro 3, Washers on THE BOTTOM- no more lurching upward on throttle! Washers on the bottom are the way to go in my opinion.

Now the bad news - my 2815 motor started cutting out. I'm running 4S with a 60 amp ESC. I'm going to an NTM 3536 which I know runs well on 4S.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Mar 2012
199 Posts
Will Krylon work over packing tape? I taped up my plane yesterday but I don't know how I want to paint it yet.
Guru06 is offline Find More Posts by Guru06
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
487 Posts
tape should be easy to remove just go slow, I used 3m storage and it came right off
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:40 PM
London-UK
Joined Sep 2007
244 Posts
PENGUIN FPV 27 01 2013 Landing (1 min 18 sec)
TAREK.SAADE is online now Find More Posts by TAREK.SAADE
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:26 PM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Those wings sure do create alot of lift..lol, nice landing to.
bigfella65 is offline Find More Posts by bigfella65
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99 View Post
[...]I also found that the upgraded canopy will get blemished by sunscreen ( it was in the mid 70s today in Texas !) . I tried cleaning the blemishes off with dishwashing liquid with no luck. Also used windex - no change. If you buy one be very careful!
Sunscreen will also eat the clear coat off your 2009 Subaru Outback too if your wife gets it all over it.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
487 Posts
have a set of butt cheeks?
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
58 Posts
I have my 2815 motor setup like in the manual with the "3mm" washers on the top. I personally have not had any probs with it setup like this. I can punch the throttle and it will keep flying in a strait line.

I have read that the C of G in the manual is 15-20mm to far back. Is this true? I have yet to test it myself, but how many of you have tried flying you Penguin with the C of G 15-20mm forward from the manual C of G? How is it?
Maxintheair is offline Find More Posts by Maxintheair
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:30 PM
Norway, Troms, Tromsų
Joined Sep 2002
176 Posts
CG om a model/airplane is to a degree an subjective thing based on your flying experience and preference. In addition comes of course how the airframe behaves based on amongst other its weight, incidence of tail plane to main wing, motor thrust angle, wing profile etc.

I have set the tail to main-wing incidence at 2 deg (was 3.5 deg), and have the CG at 90-95mm from wing leading edge. I use 2mm washers on the top motor mounts.

If I where you, I wold start with the recommended 85mm and take it from there.
ron-sand is offline Find More Posts by ron-sand
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:39 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru06 View Post
Will Krylon work over packing tape? I taped up my plane yesterday but I don't know how I want to paint it yet.
I haven't had any luck with paint sticking to packaging tape.
SRush99 is online now Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Feb 2009
260 Posts
what paints work on this foam was going to use the short cuts paint but not many colors to pick
SWAMPER is offline Find More Posts by SWAMPER
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:50 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPER View Post
what paints work on this foam was going to use the short cuts paint but not many colors to pick
I think the key is a good wet sanding with 400 grit or finer and some dish soap. The parts I did this way the paint sticks much better.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:48 AM
Jenks, Okla.
Joined Oct 2009
141 Posts
Subscribed
surfer dude is offline Find More Posts by surfer dude
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:12 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPER View Post
Try PlastiDip spray. It is rubber based so it will be more durable than other spray paints.

Cheers,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:16 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
738 Posts
Hey guys I have no spacers on my motor mount and the penguin flies pretty good. Do you guys recommend the 3mm spacers on the top of the motor mount?

Thanks
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys