Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:18 PM
Radian +2.4Ghz FPV = way to go
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
357 Posts
I dk how heavy the gopro is, but that servo wownt support a normal gopro. honostly, I dont think it will support the gopro 3 either under the bumpy conditions in the air.
If it does work, Id love it if you made a thread about it
redodedo is offline Find More Posts by redodedo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:30 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Im sure it is more than capable of supporting a gopro.
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:50 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
357 Posts
i hope so, because i want to do that as well please do let me know if it works.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
Ok, looks like I will be giving it a try! Lets hope it works.
Maxintheair is offline Find More Posts by Maxintheair
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxintheair View Post
Hey Guys, I am ready to mount my new Hero 3 BE on my penguin.

I have this 180 degree servo that I would like to use for a pan servo for my GoPro:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27725

How would you suggest mounting this to the front of the foam base for a no airframe in view point?

So far I have thought of mounting a pice of ply wood in the foam base (like I have seen most of you do) with a slot for the servo. Then attach a pice of ply to the servo arms, and then sticking a GoPro mount to that ply. Does that sound OK to you guys?

Thanks,
Some of the pan servo's come with a disc shaped servo arm which is really useful in distributing the camera's leaning force during landings and accidents. See pic. By carefully mounting the servo at a specific depth under the plywood base you can get the disc to rest just on top of the plywood. This way when the camera weight is shifted around the bottom of the disk rests on the plywood and doesn't place all the leveraged stress on the servo connection point. This has worked out great for me for several planes now and has survived many (gulp) crashes.
imagebuff is online now Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:27 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxintheair View Post
Hey Guys, I am ready to mount my new Hero 3 BE on my penguin.

I have this 180 degree servo that I would like to use for a pan servo for my GoPro:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27725

How would you suggest mounting this to the front of the foam base for a no airframe in view point?

So far I have thought of mounting a pice of ply wood in the foam base (like I have seen most of you do) with a slot for the servo. Then attach a pice of ply to the servo arms, and then sticking a GoPro mount to that ply. Does that sound OK to you guys?

Thanks,
FWIW

I bought 2 of these servos for a couple of RMRC P&Ts (for a regular FPV cam).

The first one seemed to work great and judging from my Son's new Hero Black or whatever the latest GP is called, I have no doubt that the servo would do fine for mounting your GP.

I finally got around to building my Penquin and put the second servo in the P&T and after getting everything mounted the darn thing started spinning like a top .

Luckily it didn't rip out a bunch of wiring before I got it stopped but it was sure trying

Anyway, The servo should work fine for your pan but bench test it pretty well before you stick her in the air.

Yabba (no I haven't been lurking, I just found this thread )
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
357 Posts
love the idea, and what you did in the picture. I will be trying this as well. did that support the original gopro?? or the lighter gp 3?? and were you using micro servoes??
thanks
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info imagebuff! Your pan/tilt system was the one that inspired me! Thanks for your suggestions, I was trying to think of a way to prevent the GoPro from rocking back and forth. Question, what did you do to get your ply flush with the foam base? Did you cut it out melt it with a soldering iron?

Thanks for the heads up Yabba! I will make sure to check the servo before doing anything.
Maxintheair is offline Find More Posts by Maxintheair
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2006
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
Just started using PowerDirector.. was using MS Movie Maker prior to this Video...
PD does have stabilization but haven't used it yet.
D-Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Yes, it has stabilization and it is a native 64 bit platform.
Thanks fellas, I may d/l the trial version and give it a try.
Cpig is offline Find More Posts by Cpig
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:12 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
692 Posts
redodedo
The pan/tilt supports the original gopro fine. This is just a modified RMRC gopro pan/tilt mechanism. The pan servo is a GWS S125 360deg. The tilt is an HS65MG. Tried a few non metal gear servos but the force is way too great and they stripped very quickly. Metal gear is the only way to go for gopro tilt.

Maxintheair
I just used a dremel tool to route out just enough foam in the canopy for the plywood base to sit pretty flush.

I've made a few modifications since that photo. I've now moved the flight cam from directly on top of the gopro box to just behind it with the lens sticking out over the top. Less wind profile this way. I've also read that the gopro3 (my new one) interferes with 433mhz to some degree so I lined my gp box with copper foil.

Chris
imagebuff is online now Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
357 Posts
good to know, Ill be starting to build one like yours tomorrow.

will keep you updated
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:26 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2011
68 Posts
Hi guys can anyone here tell me what other motors they have put in there Penguin besides the Finwing motor. I want to run off a 4s pack as that what I have heaps of. there is a NTM motor from HK
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50Kv_600W.html which is around the same specs as the finwing, but I am unsure.
thanks
azzurripro is offline Find More Posts by azzurripro
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:55 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2011
68 Posts
SK3 motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.in.Maryland View Post
Good information keep it coming.

I just got mine it came very well boxed from ReadymadeRC. This thing is a payload monster, the size of the FPV area is massive!

I am planning on flying the Penguin with....

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1200kv Brushless Outrunner Motor

Specs.
Turns: 14T
Voltage: 3~4S Lipoly
RPM/V: 1200kv
Internal resistance: 0.028 Ohm
Max Loading: 38A
Max Power: 560W
Shaft Dia: 5.0mm
Bolt holes: 25mm
Bolt thread: M3
Weight: 111g
Motor Plug: 3.5mm Bullet Connector

and ESC....
TURNIGY Plush 40amp Speed Controller
Specs:
Cont Current: 40A
Burst Current: 55A
BEC Mode: Linear
BEC : 5v / 3A
Lipo Cells: 2-6
NiMH : 5-18
Weight: 33g
Size: 55x28x13mm

Thanks
Tom
Hey Tom how have you gone with this motor I am thinking of getting one myself.Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:00 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurripro View Post
Hi guys can anyone here tell me what other motors they have put in there Penguin besides the Finwing motor. I want to run off a 4s pack as that what I have heaps of. there is a NTM motor from HK
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50Kv_600W.html which is around the same specs as the finwing, but I am unsure.
thanks
The stock 2815 is equivalent to an NTM3530. Many folks are running the NTM3530-1400 and NTM3536-1400 with success. The 3542 will work fine and on 4S will have wicked power. (It is heavier then the 3536 by 37gr). I run the 3530 and it works just fine although I wouldn't mind the power of the 3536 which my friend D-man runs.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:50 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
The stock 2815 is equivalent to an NTM3530. Many folks are running the NTM3530-1400 and NTM3536-1400 with success. The 3542 will work fine and on 4S will have wicked power. (It is heavier then the 3536 by 37gr). I run the 3530 and it works just fine although I wouldn't mind the power of the 3536 which my friend D-man runs.
I guess its a balancing at of power and what is best for longer flights. What do you cruse at, how many amps with your motor?
Thanks for the reply