SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:57 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Another Penguin is born. Maiden should be tomorrow pending weather. Stock motor and build with the exception of a CF piece in the stab. I also moved the elevator to the top. With a 3s 5200 pushed all the way in the nose the CG is right about 85mm give or take.

Tomorrow will also be the first flight with the DL.
Great looking trim job! Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how she flew.

Chris
imagebuff is online now Find More Posts by imagebuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:47 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redodedo View Post
can people tell me what they think about this setup for the penguin if I do buy one.
1 rangelink uhf
2 storm osd
2.4ghz 1.5w video downlink
diversity receiver with headplay goggles
2x 5000mah 3s lipos.
will it lift??? and will there be any problems with anything???
thanks
Too much Tx power. 500 Mw is plenty. Everything will fit easy and have room to spare.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:58 AM
Radian +2.4Ghz FPV = way to go
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
Ok cool. Now to place an order
redodedo is offline Find More Posts by redodedo
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.braswell View Post
FlyByNight2 -
Man that sucks! Do you have an airspeed module installed? I was also curious about the folks having the same or similar problem to mine: Are you using two servos for the ailerons connected via a Y cable or are you using two separate RC channels to control the servos individually. Just trying to find common denominators.
-Peter
No Airspeed module.
I am using 2 separate servos and channels, and set up as flaperons.

yes, broke the "Keel Beam' (as Boeing would call it) Had to cut the sides and glue a patch on both sides of the board.
Then re-glue the foam body back together.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Last edited by Flybynight2; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
Quote:
Too much Tx power. 500 Mw is plenty. Everything will fit easy and have room to spare.
Do you own one yourself??
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
If you are running a larger motor like a 3536, the 6600 will likely work well. I'm running a 3530 with lightweight HK Compact 2700's x2 and have 30% left after 25 - 30 minutes even in the cold (~30 deg F).

On the APM 2.5, mine works excellent right out of the box, no PID tuning and very few changes. A friend (D-Man) and I checked out RTL today and it worked flawlessly. To be safe I tried it at 800ft and it quickly made a u-turn and came dead straight back to home, diving gently to my preset 330 ft height levelling off and then circuling over home. I then tried it from about 280 and it gently powered up, rose to 330 leveled and again circled. It was a beautiful thing!
Mark_q, do you happen to have the param file that you'd share? I have a APM2.5 and am currently building my Penguin.
Flying Munkee is offline Find More Posts by Flying Munkee
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:48 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,493 Posts
Quote:
+1
It's all about the antennas! (I'm running 400Mw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Munkee View Post
Mark_q, do you happen to have the param file that you'd share? I have a APM2.5 and am currently building my Penguin.
Hey Munkee,
Yes I can get that, after football!
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:14 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
Does the size of the patch antenna count?? I use to run a 5.8ghz 500mw tx with a 12dbi patch antenna which was like 10cm by 10cm and got like 20m range... had I used a larger 12dbi patch would I have much better range???

this is why I bout a 1.5w so I can get a better range
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:51 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Does the size of the patch antenna count?? I use to run a 5.8ghz 500mw tx with a 12dbi patch antenna which was like 10cm by 10cm and got like 20m range... had I used a larger 12dbi patch would I have much better range???

this is why I bout a 1.5w so I can get a better range
Be careful, a 1.5w TX could badly overwhelm your onboard RX.

The relationship between distance and TX power is not 1:1. To double the distance you need approx 4 times the power given the same antenna configuration. So if you are getting 5 miles in a 200mw TX and you want to double the range to 10 miles by increasing power, you need at least 800mw.

There are many folks getting upwards of 12km (7.5 mile) on 200mw and they do this with antenna tunning. Antenna size, while it will make a difference, it could work against you if the tunning is not on par with the smaller antenna. If you can find someone with an SWR meter for your particular frequency, you can do this tunning and always improve your performance.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
I know the distance ration, but I never thought of the fact that it will disturb my uhf receiver.
can a video tx affect the camera itself in any way if its to close??? and what about the GPS???
also, do antennas give you more range when they stand vertically???
thanks for your help in advance
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
I know the distance ration, but I never thought of the fact that it will disturb my uhf receiver.
can a video tx affect the camera itself in any way if its to close??? and what about the GPS???
also, do antennas give you more range when they stand vertically???
thanks for your help in advance
Antennas in FPV are as important as the right prop for your electric motor. Even more so actually.

Case in point.

I bought a 200mw 5.8 Tx/Rx from HK and no matter what I did could not get more then 100 yards with a clear picture. I bought a set of CP clover leaf antennas and it was only slightly better but on the first flight I lost the Tx antenna. I went back to the stock Tx antenna and kept the CP Rx antenna. Reception was even worse. I gave up on it.

Fast forward a few months and much more experience and I traded the 5.8 set for a home made 900 MHz patch. The guy who made the patch made several antennas for the 5.8 and is now getting more than half a mile.

The record for a 200 Mw 5.8 system is like 20km+. Here is the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

Highly suggest you watch these videos.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:40 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
ok awsome, I am never planning on going +20km but thats still impressive.

I am still wondering whether an antenna standing vertically gives you more range. ( so it its vertical on your plane, and you turn 90 degrees, will your range decrease???
thanks in advance
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:44 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
ok awsome, I am never planning on going +20km but thats still impressive.

I am still wondering whether an antenna standing vertically gives you more range. ( so it its vertical on your plane, and you turn 90 degrees, will your range decrease???
thanks in advance
Vertical. The IBCrazy video tutorials and the one on antenna polarization and gain are a must watch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:54 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
ok thanks. now to decide whether I want a skywalker, bixler 2, or just go ahead and order the penguin. really tough decision
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:09 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Successful maiden (Flown with DL)

Quote:
ok thanks. now to decide whether I want a skywalker, bixler 2, or just go ahead and order the penguin. really tough decision
Well if I may sway your decision read below. Remember, ordering a Penguin from RMRC guarantees great service, supports a small North American business, and will be at your place much quicker than HK.

Went out to the field with the LOS equipped Penguin this afternoon. A quick ground and range check and I was ready to go. As stated before this is a completely stock setup running a 3s 5200 stuffed all the way in the nose. She is still a bit tail heavy.

Throttle up, roll, a few bounces and it's off in the air in about 30 ft or so. A few clicks of trim and it flies hands off. The best way to describe it is it flies like a big Easy Star. Landing in a slight head wind requires some down elevator to keep it coming down even with power off.

I'm very happy with it and will install the FPV stuff this week.
RCG Plus Member