Enn0L is offline Find More Posts by Enn0L
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2006
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvbasher View Post
ive brushed faskolor on multiplex foam and it lasted well over 2 years of flying, itd be better if i had a good airbrush
Thanks fpv, I plan on airbrushing AutoAir colors but I was wondering if there was any special preparation process prior to painting. I washed the entire wing with a degreaser and water, wondering about sanding, denatured alcohol wipe, etc...
Cpig is offline Find More Posts by Cpig
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2006
128 Posts
Sweet video Ennol! Israel?
Cpig is offline Find More Posts by Cpig
Last edited by Cpig; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Looking good Enn0L.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
88 Posts
I'm really excited about this plane. There's so much room to make things fit well, while allowing access to the stuff inside. This is my fave build so far.

Spektrum AR6210 (will upgrade later to EZUHF)
Ardupilotmega 2.0
Attopilot 90A sensor for batt voltage/current
3DR 433 MHz radio for telemetry
MinimOSD (gets data from ardupilot)
4s4400 or 3s4400 fits perfectly in the front
M2815 motor and 60A ESC
9x5 3-blade prop (will get APC 9x6E soon)
910Mhz video gear
Rogue.insight is offline Find More Posts by Rogue.insight
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue.insight View Post
I'm really excited about this plane. There's so much room to make things fit well, while allowing access to the stuff inside. This is my fave build so far.

Spektrum AR6210 (will upgrade later to EZUHF)
Ardupilotmega 2.0
Attopilot 90A sensor for batt voltage/current
3DR 433 MHz radio for telemetry
MinimOSD (gets data from ardupilot)
4s4400 or 3s4400 fits perfectly in the front
M2815 motor and 60A ESC
9x5 3-blade prop (will get APC 9x6E soon)
910Mhz video gear

Looks great and I agree ... LOTS of room to stow gear. I love my Penguin!

Please keep me posted on your AMP. I've got a 2.5 in mine. I've got manual and FBW-A working perfectly, RTH is sporadic. Sometimes it works great other times the plane seems to go full throttle and descend very rapidly. It may be a ground warm-up / calibration problem or maybe a configuration problem ... I'm not sure yet.

P
peter.braswell is online now Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.braswell View Post
Looks great and I agree ... LOTS of room to stow gear. I love my Penguin!

Please keep me posted on your AMP. I've got a 2.5 in mine. I've got manual and FBW-A working perfectly, RTH is sporadic. Sometimes it works great other times the plane seems to go full throttle and descend very rapidly. It may be a ground warm-up / calibration problem or maybe a configuration problem ... I'm not sure yet.

P
That's worrisome. I have tested RTH and had it work well each time. On one occasion we got distracted and just let the plane circle above use while we had a conversation on the ground, not even looking at the plane. I have however had 2 occasions where I'm in stabilize mode and I think the accel was confused. It started pitching towards the ground. In those cases I had to switch back to manual mode. Not sure what happened there.
Rogue.insight is offline Find More Posts by Rogue.insight
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:45 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
That's worrisome. I have tested RTH and had it work well each time. On one occasion we got distracted and just let the plane circle above use while we had a conversation on the ground, not even looking at the plane. I have however had 2 occasions where I'm in stabilize mode and I think the accel was confused. It started pitching towards the ground. In those cases I had to switch back to manual mode. Not sure what happened there.
I have used the the ACM on my FY31AP the exact same way. Its a nice feature if you need to take off the goggles and make some adjustments etc.
swartzracing is online now Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:28 AM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
738 Posts
Hey fellow Penguin owners,

Just wanted to give ya'll and update of my last flight!

Just set my PR for FPV distance and altitude, 1.5 miles out and 800 meters up. I wasn't planning on venturing out this far, but with a little motivation from my Dad he pushed me to do it. My equipment used: 1.3ghz 800mw Video with IBcrazy's blue beam set, FY31AP + Hornet, Futaba 9C + Lipo, Corona RP8D1 with stock antenna.

I have set up my failsafe on the Corona to RTL and 60% throttle if RC signal is lost so I wasn't too worried about getting home. I was getting rock solid video @ that distance and Height which i was really impressed with. Also in ABM mode I was literally flying on rails, it was stable as come be up there. I was really happy after that flight and cant wait to try for 2 miles next trip. This Penguin took me a long time to build since I wanted to make it perfect. I have used all the great knowledge from you guy's on RCG and have built a pretty great plane.

Little tip that really has helped is: Running all braided servo wires, mounting VTX on tail boom with shielded wire running to Hornet, and keeping things neat inside fuselage.

I made a video and edited using Final Cut Pro X, but am having trouble uploading it.

Thank You,
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by swartzracing; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:46 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post

Just set my PR for FPV distance and altitude, 1.5 miles out and 800 meters up. I wasn't planning on venturing out this far, but with a little motivation from my Dad he pushed me to do it. My equipment used: 1.3ghz 800mw Video with IBcrazy's blue beam set, FY31AP + Hornet, Futaba 9C + Lipo, Corona RP8D1 with stock antenna.

I have set up my failsafe on the Corona to RTL and 60% throttle if RC signal is lost so I wasn't too worried about getting home. I was getting rock solid video @ that distance and Height which i was really impressed with. Also in ABM mode I was literally flying on rails, it was stable as come be up there. I was really happy after that flight and cant wait to try for 2 miles next trip. This Penguin took me a long time to build since I wanted to make it perfect. I have used all the great knowledge from you guy's on RCG and have built a pretty great plane.

Little tip that really has helped is: Running all braided servo wires, mounting VTX on tail boom with shielded wire running to Hornet, and keeping things neat inside fuselage.

I made a video and edited using Final Cut Pro X, but am having trouble uploading it.

Thank You,
Nice job! Are you hand launching? Can't wait till the weather clears to try out my FPV config.
imagebuff is online now Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:34 AM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
738 Posts
Yea hand launching so far since the grass is not really suitable for taking off. But would like to try some take offs at a different flying site.

Your going to love this plane! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:42 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:

Thank You,
Congrats!

What type of paint did you use and was it hard to keep it from peeling?
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:48 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Quote:
Rouge,
Good to hear. I was out today doing an FPV session and we had the same issue. When I flipped into RTH mode high (say 400-500 feet) it seemed to do ok. When I tried it at a lower altitude it would turn to home, go throttle up and pitch towards the ground. I let it go as long as I dared before I flipped into FBW-A and pulled out.

Was wondering:
Are you using an airspeed module?
Would you / could you send me your param file so I can compare?
What version software are you using?

I'm at peter.braswell@gmail.com

TIA,
Peter
peter.braswell is online now Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:05 PM
Aerial Operator
Joined Feb 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Congrats!

What type of paint did you use and was it hard to keep it from peeling?
Rustoleum neon orange, it's holding up good. I would've used the plastidip neon orange, but it's not as readily available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:37 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Paint and FY-30A

Quote:
Rustoleum neon orange, it's holding up good. I would've used the plastidip neon orange, but it's not as readily available.
I have been using Faskolor and it holds up pretty good. I recently did some painting with rustolium and I believe it may be superior. By the way I have a FY-30A forsale if anyone is interested.
Tom
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland