HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:23 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Anybody using the readymaderc pan/tilt kit? If so please post a picture of your setup. Working on my camera setup now.
Ok ... Some pics attached, but it's on a rover, not a Penquin.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Anybody using the readymaderc pan/tilt kit? If so please post a picture of your setup. Working on my camera setup now.
Blueprint, I'm using the RMRC pan/tilt on my penguin. I originally had it on my Radian pan/tilt pod and found that if I just made a new mount with that octagonal shape that it fits perfectly into under the canopy. Upgraded canopy, that is. It fit fine under the stock one but was a little close to the top even at the lowest screw holes. The upgraded canopy will allow to go higher to have less nose in view.

Name: Penguin-camera-1.jpg
Views: 223
Size: 194.2 KB
Description:

Name: Penguin-camera-2.jpg
Views: 174
Size: 209.6 KB
Description:

Name: Penguin-camera-under.jpg
Views: 182
Size: 216.6 KB
Description:
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
694 Posts
Penguin Build Mods

I've finally completed the FPV mods to the Penguin so finally posting some photos. Most of the time I invested was around wiring and the removable FPV canopy. Almost every cable is customized and I used CAT 6 everywhere I could squeeze it in. After flying nothing but FPV wings I was very used to having easy access to the wiring and even the very generous room within the Penguin was a bit confining for working with a complete Eagletree system

I set out with a few goals:

- Full Pan / Tilt w/ head tracking for both the flight cam AND GoPro
- Nose not in view for either camera while facing forward
- Cleanest video possible - Use CAT 6 everywhere I can
- Minimize wiring rats nest
- Single cable connection to FPV canopy for easy removal for battery change, etc..
- Eagle Tree Pod - Be able to pull out the full Eagle Tree system with minimal effort for bench diag / test.

While I was mostly successful on these goals I couldn't put the entire ET system on a single pod because some of the sensors simply cannot be located near the eLogger and OSD. The barometer and airspeed sensors were built into the hollow part of the wing for proximity to the pitot tube installation and easy connect / disconnect w/ the wings. I haven't re-maidened with the added FPV gear yet. I am concerned about weight so we will have to see how it goes. Hope this gives someone some ideas
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Last edited by imagebuff; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Im new at fpv and was wondering whats a good flight controller that has gps with hold and rth functions? Dont want to spend a fortune and want something easy to set up.
Are you looking for something for fixed wing or multirotor? When yhou say 'flight controller' most people think 'multirotor'. For fixed wing I use Dragon OSD with GPS. It has RTH, AutoPilot, Waypoint capability and provides all the needed flight info on your video screen.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Fixed wing for the penguin
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevan View Post
Blueprint, I'm using the RMRC pan/tilt on my penguin. I originally had it on my Radian pan/tilt pod and found that if I just made a new mount with that octagonal shape that it fits perfectly into under the canopy. Upgraded canopy, that is. It fit fine under the stock one but was a little close to the top even at the lowest screw holes. The upgraded canopy will allow to go higher to have less nose in view.

Attachment 5409918

Attachment 5409919

Attachment 5409920
That is a nice and clean adaption of that mount. Well done.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
I've finally completed the FPV mods to the Penguin so finally posting some photos. Most of the time I invested was around wiring and the removable FPV canopy. Almost every cable is customized and I used CAT 6 everywhere I could squeeze it in. After flying nothing but FPV wings I was very used to having easy access to the wiring and even the very generous room within the Penguin was a bit confining for working with a complete Eagletree system

I set out with a few goals:

- Full Pan / Tilt w/ head tracking for both the flight cam AND GoPro
- Nose not in view for either camera while facing forward
- Cleanest video possible - Use CAT 6 everywhere I can
- Minimize wiring rats nest
- Single cable connection to FPV canopy for easy removal for battery change, etc..
- Eagle Tree Pod - Be able to pull out the full Eagle Tree system with minimal effort for bench diag / test.

While I was mostly successful on these goals I couldn't put the entire ET system on a single pod because some of the sensors simply cannot be located near the eLogger and OSD. The barometer and airspeed sensors were built into the hollow part of the wing for proximity to the pitot tube installation and easy connect / disconnect w/ the wings. I haven't re-maidened with the added FPV gear yet. I am concerned about weight so we will have to see how it goes. Hope this gives someone some ideas

I hope your re-maiden is successful. I too implemented shielded wire for my video system. I was concerned about using standard wiring all the way out to the wing tip. Since the payload capacity affords us some "slop" in how we equip it, I chose to separate the VTX, UHF antenna and the GPS and use good wiring to do it.

What paint did you use on the canopy foam? I noticed mine is rubbing off and starting to look crummy.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Fixed wing for the penguin
Like Vantastic says, the DOSD is a great choice for the Penguin. There are some complaints about how the text looks, but rest assured it does the job. He is also very helpful on the DOSD thread if you have questions on setting it up.

Alternatively, if you just want basic GPS based information and do not need RTH, etc. I recommend looking at the SkyLark Tiny OSD.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
First Airbrush Shot at Yellow Penguin

First Airbrush Shot at Yellow Penguin
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Tom, you can't call it a Penguin anymore. Maybe the Duck.... One thing is it will be easy to spot in the snow.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
That is a nice and clean adaption of that mount. Well done.
Thanks Cactus, poor Radian looks headless now!
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
694 Posts
Quote:
I hope your re-maiden is successful. I too implemented shielded wire for my video system. I was concerned about using standard wiring all the way out to the wing tip. Since the payload capacity affords us some "slop" in how we equip it, I chose to separate the VTX, UHF antenna and the GPS and use good wiring to do it.

What paint did you use on the canopy foam? I noticed mine is rubbing off and starting to look crummy.
I experimented with Plasti-Dip spray and it turned out to be perfect for foam as it is rubbery and plyable and really holds up to alot of handling. The original paint came off if I just looked at it funny.

Have you gotten yours up in the air yet w/ the FPV gear?
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:41 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevan View Post
Thanks Cactus, poor Radian looks headless now!
thanks for posting that! i have the new canopy and planned on installing my Pan/Tilt system the way you had although i would like to keep my gopro2 below the pan/tilt rather than above it.
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Tom, you can't call it a Penguin anymore. Maybe the Duck.... One thing is it will be easy to spot in the snow.
Well, depending on the snow...
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:09 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
708 Posts
Decided to take the penguin out again today since the wind was down around 2-4mph, lots better than yesterday's 17+mph. Today was the first day I was able to try the FY31AP+Hornet OSD and I am very happy with it. With all gains set to about 1'o-clock the penguin flew great. This is my first autopilot so I was kind of skeptical on my plane flying itself. I tested RTH, ABM, and ACM they all worked as advertised. I even got up to about 600 meters and was out around a half mile, shut off my tx and watched my bird fly home.

My video feed was rock solid with the 800mw 1.3ghz with the ibcrazy bluebeam set. My bird is sitting at 2.1kg and wants to fly forever!

Just wanted to thank everyone on RCG that has helped me build this LR bird.

Happy New Years!
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys