HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:28 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
Yes, after looking at it again, I would make some huge holes (like the size of your fist) in the back and just leave the sides and top center to support the Gopro.
this thing voids the entire idea of canopy LOL.In a slight wind it may actually fly backwards LOL.
I would mount go pro on top and move the FPV cam to the front cutting just enough hole for the lens.
If I had to cut this nice canopy I would put Gopro up front
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; Dec 26, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
748 Posts
Come on nakelp, be nice! We need to keep evolving ideas for improvement.
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:16 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
708 Posts
Is the GPS to close to the VTX?

Hey guys do you think my GPS is too close to my 1.3ghz 800mw VTX?

Just got my pan tilt all mounted up, still waiting for my Sony 600tvl.

Cheers,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:50 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Come on nakelp, be nice! We need to keep evolving ideas for improvement.
LOL, I am nice but this thing scares me LOL
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Mar 2006
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey guys do you think my GPS is too close to my 1.3ghz 800mw VTX?

Just got my pan tilt all mounted up, still waiting for my Sony 600tvl.

Cheers,
I would move it if you find that your GPS cannot keep a satellite lock. Try it first.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,542 Posts
Quote:
I like what you are doing here. The upgrade canopy is not clear enough for my liking. You might want to add some bigger holes to the back of it though. Even with the ones you made, I think it will be a huge air brake.

Edit: I also just noticed the placement of your Vtx behind the canopy. I like it! Do you have a better pic of that?
Thanks everyone for your suggestions on the air scoop. I did think of that (Hence the extra holes) and purposely added extra light ply support for the GoPro just in case I do need to hack off the back of the canopy.

EDIT: Weather and work has me grounded for the next few days so I decided to listen to all y'all and hedge my chances of success on the next flight. Back of the canopy is now removed. GoPro is still as ridged as before. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts!

McCleary.... as this is my third FPV ship... one of my goals was to minimize the amount of wires I had to deal with in removing and reattaching the canopy. This happened to be a perfect place to mount the Tx to accomplish just that. See attached for another view.

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is online now Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Last edited by xxD-Manxx; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Mar 2006
748 Posts
Looking much better! Im curious to find out how it flies with that extra surface. Is that just black spray paint on the canopy? I think I would leave mine clear to have some extra "pan" view.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
694 Posts
What if you mounted the gopro just under the top of the canopy attached the same way? Just don't like seeing the gopro way up there on top vulnerable.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:33 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Looking much better! Im curious to find out how it flies with that extra surface. Is that just black spray paint on the canopy? I think I would leave mine clear to have some extra "pan" view.
McCleary..
Yes just black enamel spray paint. I had a pan on my first FPV ship.... never really used it. Was just another point of failure I had to worry about. Besides.... after the light ply was added panning would not work anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
What if you mounted to the gopro just under the top of the canopy attached the same way? Just don't like seeing the gopro way up there on top vulnerable.
Imagebuff,
I put a lot of thought on camera placement. The front hole in the canopy is cut so the canopy sides are just out of view of the VTX camera. And the Penguin nose is just out of view of the slightly downward facing GP. Should yield some great aerial video. I agree it's not the safest for the GP... but I've not seen any other duel camera penguin set ups where the GP was completely accessible with an unobstructed view from both cameras without placing the cameras way out on the nose (also not the safest place).

Hope other post how their GP's are mounted.

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is online now Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:11 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
What motors are people running in these besides the 2 available in kits?
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:06 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
What if you mounted the gopro just under the top of the canopy attached the same way? Just don't like seeing the gopro way up there on top vulnerable.
I do not like the GoPro way up there for another reason - RF interference. The antenna is right behind it now, and the GoPro will definitely block some signals when flying at certain angles relative to home.

The Penguin was designed with a 'front split' hatch. So just put the GoPro up front like most folks, and have the FPV cam out back above it a bit. The Gopro will not obscure the view very much at all. It will feel natural flying FPV even with it out there. And I bet it will be much more aerodynamic that way.

OK it is not at all horrible, though. It will still be flyable and you will get a good view from the GoPro up there.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:34 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I do not like the GoPro way up there for another reason - RF interference. The antenna is right behind it now, and the GoPro will definitely block some signals when flying at certain angles relative to home.

The Penguin was designed with a 'front split' hatch. So just put the GoPro up front like most folks, and have the FPV cam out back above it a bit. The Gopro will not obscure the view very much at all. It will feel natural flying FPV even with it out there. And I bet it will be much more aerodynamic that way.

OK it is not at all horrible, though. It will still be flyable and you will get a good view from the GoPro up there.
Here is what i did with the camera's!
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:18 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,072 Posts
I was wondering what that extra piece of wood was for. I see now in your picture.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:30 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Here is what i did with the camera's!
Very close what I did (see my blog), now I am thinking about making a fiberglass canopy around the cam.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,476 Posts
hey guys, i wanted to install a 1.3ghz 1000mw VTX behind the pan/tilt camera system in the canopy. Which VTX would fit best? Here is the one i am looking at currently:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=922

I'll be using a Cloverleaf with it as well.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint