Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.braswell View Post
All,
I'm just about ready to maiden my new Penguin. I got the kit a couple of weeks ago. Interesting thread this morning about the servos and other components. I purposefully ordered only the airframe. I upgraded to the premium power package (Himaxx outrunner and 50 amp Castle BEC). I've had enough go-arounds with the cheaper stuff and have resolved to go only "top shelf" when I can afford it.

Some specifics:
A,E servos are HS-85's
R is HS65. They all just dropped in.
R/C is Dragon LInk and an old JR 10x transmitter
RMRC premium power package 9x6 prop
Flytron wing strobes (surprised how much this helps)

I haven't done a weight and balance yet. I've run the motor on a test stand, but didn't record any data. I'll probably do a short build thread as I've done some hacks, mainly to save weight that others might be interested in.

-Peter
Your prop looks like it's on backwards.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:32 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
Was looking at that too, looked off to me. Peter is that cam housing just made from foam?
aviatorgeek is offline Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Good eye! Hopefully you saved him some grief.
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Not sure. Bench test was ok, but I'll double check.

-Peter
peter.braswell is offline Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorgeek View Post
Was looking at that too, looked off to me. Peter is that cam housing just made from foam?
Nope. Camera housing is 3D printed and made out of plastic.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Ok All - I posted a bit of a build log. It can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post23527832
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,771 Posts

nice fairing. I need to get into 3D printing.

but I am unsure how it works. does the rounded black thing insert into the orange va gina as the speed increases to improve the sensational experience?
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

nice fairing. I need to get into 3D printing.

but I am unsure how it works. does the rounded black thing insert into the orange va gina as the speed increases to improve the sensational experience?
Oh my! hehehe. Yeah, guess it does kind of look like that? Consciously unintentional, I swear!!!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
perverts
LOL
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:05 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Vaksdal
Joined Nov 2011
32 Posts
Hi!
I have a problem with my stock 60 amp, Finwing Penguin ESCesc. It does not work now. Last weekend, it worked just fine, but when I took it out to finish my penguin-build today, the esc did not respond to anything. It did not emit the usual startup-beeps either. I am not able to enter programming mode either. I first thought there was a problem with my dragonlink, but the DL-setup worked just fine with another airplane, and the Penguin setup did not work with another control system (Hitec).

When I plug it in now, the servos only start buzzing, or summing, or maybe doing some kind of jittering. I tried setting my throttle trim to the lowest - didn't help. Also tried disconnecting everything except from the throttle channel - no luck.

For the DL users, the reciever (v2) emits a red light, combined with a irregularly-flashing blue light. For the rest of you, that means that it has power, and the blue light that is flashing, is suposed to indicate a link. The green light is off.

So, has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thansk in advance, best regards, Jarand.
JarandLT is offline Find More Posts by JarandLT
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2012
54 Posts
I know a lot of you are using magnets for the canopy instead of the screws. Has anyone done this with a gopro mounted on the heavy duty plastic canopy? If so could u post some pics of your set up and maybe a link the the magnets used. I found some magnets but they only hold around 8 pounds and I'm worried that wont be enough with a gopro mounted on top. Thanks for the help.
rdarby777 is offline Find More Posts by rdarby777
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarandLT View Post
Hi!
I have a problem with my stock 60 amp, Finwing Penguin ESCesc. It does not work now. Last weekend, it worked just fine, but when I took it out to finish my penguin-build today, the esc did not respond to anything. It did not emit the usual startup-beeps either. I am not able to enter programming mode either. I first thought there was a problem with my dragonlink, but the DL-setup worked just fine with another airplane, and the Penguin setup did not work with another control system (Hitec).

When I plug it in now, the servos only start buzzing, or summing, or maybe doing some kind of jittering. I tried setting my throttle trim to the lowest - didn't help. Also tried disconnecting everything except from the throttle channel - no luck.

For the DL users, the reciever (v2) emits a red light, combined with a irregularly-flashing blue light. For the rest of you, that means that it has power, and the blue light that is flashing, is suposed to indicate a link. The green light is off.

So, has anyone experienced this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thansk in advance, best regards, Jarand.
Do you have another ESC that you can troubleshoot with? If you do find the ESC to be the issue, we will get you a new one sent out if you submit a ticket on the website.

The lights on your DL sound fine to me.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdarby777 View Post
I know a lot of you are using magnets for the canopy instead of the screws. Has anyone done this with a gopro mounted on the heavy duty plastic canopy? If so could u post some pics of your set up and maybe a link the the magnets used. I found some magnets but they only hold around 8 pounds and I'm worried that wont be enough with a gopro mounted on top. Thanks for the help.
I do not use magnets for that same reason. If it were just the canopy, with no weight of the Vtx, antenna, pan/tilt with CCD, GoPro, upgrade canopy, I would be just fine.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Vaksdal
Joined Nov 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
Do you have another ESC that you can troubleshoot with? If you do find the ESC to be the issue, we will get you a new one sent out if you submit a ticket on the website.

The lights on your DL sound fine to me.
It works just fine with the red brick 50 amp esc.... so I guess it has to be the ESC..... Do you think I can fly with that one until the new one arrives, or should I use a bigger one?
JarandLT is offline Find More Posts by JarandLT
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
I don't know much about red brick, but you should be fine. I don't think I have ever pushed over 50a
Site Sponsor