HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post

I've just upgraded to a new motor package that RMRC sells and that's the one if you really want hard core performance! More info on that but, yes, the base M2200 system is quite capable and not just for a light weight LOS flyer... go full FPV with that and you'll love it.
Well, I can always upgrade later
Speaking of LOS, what is that exactly ? LOL
If I cant fly FPV i just dont fly, with exception of testing and trimming new model :-))
Thx Dave for info. Plane is very tempting and looks like very strong contender to Skywalker.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:16 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
Loving this plane more than my X8. Finwing actually put some good engineering into this bird, unlike others.

Sold.

Looking forward to the excellent canopy and eazy peazy rolling takeoffs and landings!
aviatorgeek is offline Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
CaliDave

The upgrage motor/ESC/prop you mentioned from RMRC?
Is that the SkyWalker power package?

Does that use 3s or 4s flight lipo? I was planning on a Scorpion 3014-v2/ 1040kv motor, 9x6propAPCe, and 4s-5500mah Lipo.....
(used on my old SkyWalker). This Scorpion motor weighs about ~155g.
Maybe too heavy of a motor?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:33 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Yes, this one:

I'm using with 3s as I don't think the ESC is rated for 4s if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=490

Here's the size comparison:
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Announcing Finwing Universeye’s new First Person View (FPV) Aircraft – The “Penguin”

Hi guys, I'm making an "official" announcement now. I don't have much time for the forums any more but Dave and Kevin are doing a good job of relaying information about their own experiences. Here you go!:

Ready Made RC, LLC is proud to announce we are the North American distributor for the new Finwing Universeye “Penguin” aircraft. The Penguin has been designed specifically for FPV and boasts a massive fuselage compartment well suited for various components used in FPV.

Other features of the Penguin include: quality metal servo control horns, tons of reinforcement, a bottom facing port for a second camera, removable clear canopy, pre-installed hook and loop on the bottom and sides of the fuselage for easy equipment mounting, rigid tail boom, and takeoff/landing gear, as well as two power systems to choose from for the “almost ready to fly” versions of the plane.

I’ve had a few seasoned flyers (including myself) testing these since June, and I’m not one to over-hype a product, but these are the absolute best flying aircraft I’ve flown. Gone are the worries about tip-stalling and death spirals if the CG isn’t perfect or if you slow down a bit too much. We’ve been trying to make this plane behave badly, and so far we can’t get it to do anything but gently drop its nose in a light stall with a fairly well balanced plane.

Technical details:
• Wingspan: 1720MM/67.7inch
• Length: 1230MM/48.5inch
• Wing Area: 36dm/3.9ft2 (Main wing Area)
• Motor: Brushless motor M2220 Kv1350 or M2815 KV1280
• ESC: 40A for M2220 or 60A with switchmode 5A BEC for M2815
• Servo: 3pcs 17g servo+ 1pcs 9g servo.
• Battery: Li-Po 11.1V 2400 mAh for M2220 and 5000mAh for M2815 (RMRC-2200 or RMRC-3300 will work great!)
• ARF Weight: 0.98kg/34.6oz.ARF is the weight including almost ready to fly, not including battery and your extra FPV devices
• Static Thrust: Motor M2220 1.5Kg/53.0oz.
• Motor M2815 1.95kg/69oz,
• Max.flight weight more than 2.2kg/77.0oz
• Payload: 600-1000G/21.5-35.5oz (Payload is the extra weight it can carry besides the standard ARF weight)
• Material: EPO Wing and fuselage/ Wooden rib reinforcement/ aluminum alloy Pipe/Carbon Fiber pipe
The Penguin will be available in mid to late September and pre-orders for the Penguin models have begun and can be found at ReadyMadeRC.com under the “Finwing Hobby FPV Aircraft” category.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...ndex&cPath=101
There are already some threads started on RCGroups and FPVLAB, as well as an amazing overview with some videos of the Penguin in action at GrounStationTV:
http://www.groundstationtv.com/Groun...uin_Build.html

Thanks!
Tim
Ready Made RC, LLC
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
The 3s rating is basically for the built in BEC on that ESC, but if the testing continues to show it's worth it, we'll get a new package put together with a CC "ICE" ESC. These really are some good combos for this size plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Yes, this one:

I'm using with 3s as I don't think the ESC is rated for 4s if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=490

Here's the size comparison:
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:08 AM
United States, WV, Salt Rock
Joined Nov 2006
183 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday :-)
Rick~K is offline Find More Posts by Rick~K
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
693 Posts
Ordered 8/27 - Come to Daddy!
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Shipping

The current dimensional shipping support isn't working quite right, so we had to artificially inflate the shipping weight to 43 pounds. This is what we are charged for UPS and FedEx ground because of the dimensional weight, but it is causing the international USPS shipping methods to quote way too high right now. I have my web developer working on it. Hopefully they'll have all the dimensional calculations for all shipping methods up and working properly within a week.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,183 Posts
Thanks for the update Tim! Seeing those shipping cost to Canada made me walk away from the idea of ordering one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb View Post
The current dimensional shipping support isn't working quite right, so we had to artificially inflate the shipping weight to 43 pounds. This is what we are charged for UPS and FedEx ground because of the dimensional weight, but it is causing the international USPS shipping methods to quote way too high right now. I have my web developer working on it. Hopefully they'll have all the dimensional calculations for all shipping methods up and working properly within a week.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Tim or Dave :-)
since I see the fuse comes glued in is there a way to thread DL antenna to the tail?
I hope horizontal stab is separate (dumb question, just making sure )
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday too! Any thoughts on the antenna?
myturbe is offline Find More Posts by myturbe
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:09 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8tive_leo View Post
And in Canada. Shipping and Customs would bring this bird over $300. Not worth it.
+1 for supply in Canada.

Also, very interested to hear how this compares with the skywalker (somebody had to ask).
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Tim or Dave :-)
since I see the fuse comes glued in is there a way to thread DL antenna to the tail?
I hope horizontal stab is separate (dumb question, just making sure )
The fuse does come in to separate halves. I wasn't thinking and glued mine together before installing the DL antenna, but was still able to fish it through with relative ease. Yes, the horizontal stab is separate.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
+1 for supply in Canada.

Also, very interested to hear how this compares with the skywalker (somebody had to ask).
As Tim has previously stated, the international shipping prices are still being worked out and will be cheaper when finalized.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11