HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
LOL
no pun intended, me fellow neighbor :-)) but if you buy replacement part ( like a fuse for example ) I wouldnt expect to be assembled, its just a part, bare bones. The plane we got if pre assembled.
If you are desperate you could use one set of thin washers provided for the motor.
And honestly, skip the screws all together and glue in some magnets, you wont miss a thing.
I hate these screws, now when it gets cold I bet you will see what I mean.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstach View Post

LOS only - no FPV but I did have the gopro mounted on the diving board... not a good idea! Need to figure out a better mounting solution. RMRC coming up with anything anytime soon?
Maybe not the best but it works well, check my blog.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, PA, Bethlehem
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
LOL
no pun intended, me fellow neighbor :-)) but if you buy replacement part ( like a fuse for example ) I wouldnt expect to be assembled, its just a part, bare bones. The plane we got if pre assembled.
If you are desperate you could use one set of thin washers provided for the motor.
And honestly, skip the screws all together and glue in some magnets, you wont miss a thing.
I hate these screws, now when it gets cold I bet you will see what I mean.
You are missing my point Nake!

First off - I have no problem engineering a solution to a problem. Some people may though ... or they simply don't have the time or the desire to fix something that should be correct in the first place. Not everyone will have the appropriate washers hanging around so they may need a to make a trip to the store.. or whatever.

Nobody said anything about a desire to have the canopy pre-assembled. It's a piece of foam - pretty simple. Since there's no parts list available (nothing in the manual at least) you'd have to assume that if the original canopy had these parts pre-installed at the factory - the replacement part would. It's really simple... not sure why you can't comprehend that.

I firmly believe that if there's a problem with something, the vendor should know. There's nothing wrong with that. RMRC has top-notch service and I'd suspect they'd rather know about a potential issue (even a minor one) than rely on hoping that everyone is as willing to accept less-than-stellar QA practices from the manufacturer as you are.

Other folks may order a replacement canopy expecting to be able to unwrap it and get it installed. Now they know they may need to do some minor modification if they're keeping the dreaded screws that you hate so much ...

The point of the original post wasn't to knock the Penguin or RMRC. I love them both... it also wasn't about what you like or dislike. It was a simple observation that I thought I'd share so others may know what to expect or look out for.

Beem flying for 15+ years so I'm aware of the affects of cold weather on the hands. I'm not a fan of magnets ... sorry.

So - let's keep this thread productive and end this dopey conversation.
robstach is offline Find More Posts by robstach
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:

Other folks may order a replacement canopy expecting to be able to unwrap it and get it installed. ................

Beem flying for 15+ years so I'm aware of the affects of cold weather on the hands. I'm not a fan of magnets ... sorry.
Ok so you got 3 years over me :-)
Dont remember single thing I bought for this hobby that I could just open and use it out of the box.
Moving on................
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,137 Posts
Quote:
So - let's keep this thread productive and end this dopey conversation.
Quote:
The case of last-word-itis. So, guys... let me have the last word.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Ok so you got 3 years over me :-)
Dont remember single thing I bought for this hobby that I could just open and use it out of the box.
Is it too late for you to run for President? We need someone with the ability to get the "big picture".

Anyway..........

Anyone running ET OSD Pro with DragonLink? Need some clarification please:

1) Engaging RTH with throttle trim set to lowest point...
2) Setting the failsafe on the DL with trim set to lowest point and all other switches and stick positions set to cruise

There's a heck of a lot of fine-tuning to do and bench testing shows that this setup works well enough .. curious if a) anyone else is running their setup this way and b) if not, what's your method of choice?

Doing a bunch of research and watching videos. Really just curious if setting up via the Eagle Tree suggestion is indeed the best route.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Is it too late for you to run for President? We need someone with the ability to get the "big picture".

Anyway..........

Anyone running ET OSD Pro with DragonLink? Need some clarification please:

1) Engaging RTH with throttle trim set to lowest point...
2) Setting the failsafe on the DL with trim set to lowest point and all other switches and stick positions set to cruise

There's a heck of a lot of fine-tuning to do and bench testing shows that this setup works well enough .. curious if a) anyone else is running their setup this way and b) if not, what's your method of choice?

Doing a bunch of research and watching videos. Really just curious if setting up via the Eagle Tree suggestion is indeed the best route.
I have mine set up so that when I flip a switch that is mixed in to the throttle channel it puts the throttle to a negitive trim value that then engaged the RTH. Works great thist way I dont have to mess with the actual throttle trim every time i want to use RTH
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
.. curious if a) anyone else is running their setup this way and b) if not, what's your method of choice?

Not an ET owner but that method is how its done on RVOSD. I choose the under range vs setting "110% throttle" so the endpoints are -110/-120 respectively for DL/RVOSD failsafe.
aviatorgeek is offline Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Sep 2012
467 Posts
im using the trim method, albeit without a dl but the same principle applies, and I believe the radio (i.e. 9c) controls the failsafe not the dl??
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
I just started putting my Pengiun together. I had a few questions on the build...

1. Is the single screw holding the horizontal / vertical stabilizer together enough? Does anybody glue the vertical stabilizer in?

2. Has anybody had any problems with the screw type connection to the control rods? I typically do not use those but they seem to tighten down pretty well.

3. My elevator control horn was installed on the wrong side compared to the elevator control rod exit. Unfortunately I determined that after I glued everything together. I will have to move the control horn to the other side. Anybody else experience this?

4. Which direction does the prop go on. I can't remember for a pusher. Should it be text facing towards the front of the plane?

Thanks,
Kenny
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_dilger View Post
I just started putting my Pengiun together. I had a few questions on the build...

1. Is the single screw holding the horizontal / vertical stabilizer together enough? Does anybody glue the vertical stabilizer in?

2. Has anybody had any problems with the screw type connection to the control rods? I typically do not use those but they seem to tighten down pretty well.

3. My elevator control horn was installed on the wrong side compared to the elevator control rod exit. Unfortunately I determined that after I glued everything together. I will have to move the control horn to the other side. Anybody else experience this?

4. Which direction does the prop go on. I can't remember for a pusher. Should it be text facing towards the front of the plane?

Thanks,
Kenny
Kenny,

I don't own the kit but can answer number 4. The text should face forward. Just imagine the motor being mounted in the normal configuration.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Thanks Mike,

Also one other thing I was thinking about. For those that are using a GoPro camera do you have any tricks for accessing the GoPro to start recording with the canopy on? Are you forgoing the canopy or are you removing it every time you want to turn on / off the camera or start / stop recording?
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Kenny
Q1) No - at least not on mine. When I give elevator input the horizontal stab will pivot a little. Not liking that. Trying some tape next but hurricane Sandy has me grounded

Q2) I loctited mine but only have 2 short flights. Checked when I got home and they were fine but again - just a couple of flights.

Q3) nope

Q4) Answered above
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike,

Also one other thing I was thinking about. For those that are using a GoPro camera do you have any tricks for accessing the GoPro to start recording with the canopy on? Are you forgoing the canopy or are you removing it every time you want to turn on / off the camera or start / stop recording?
If you can swing it, get a GoPro Hero3. Built in wifi and you can start recording with the app. Loving mine. I have three Hero2s and a 3 now.

If you use the 2 and a wifi backpack you could do the same but now you have more weight.

Otherwise - I'm hitting record then putting the canopy cover on.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined May 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
I have mine set up so that when I flip a switch that is mixed in to the throttle channel it puts the throttle to a negitive trim value that then engaged the RTH. Works great thist way I dont have to mess with the actual throttle trim every time i want to use RTH
I was planning on doing the same ... getting low on switches! I too don't want to screw around with the trim when I want to engage.

Thanks!