HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:48 AM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS WIN View Post
good, it's awesome...

did you fly it with or without flight stabilization equipments?
That was taken without stabilization.
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
That was taken without stabilization.
Without any stabilization to fly,, wow... seems quite stable and easy fly
CS WIN is offline Find More Posts by CS WIN
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Hey all. Tim @ ReadyMadeRC sent me one of the new "Penguin" planes to test out a while back now. In that time I've been able to put it through a lot of testing.

Here are some videos I made featuring it. It's a really nice plane and I expect this will become an FPV standard once out:
GSTV - "Penguin" - FPV Setup and Flying (5 min 22 sec)

GSTV - "Penguin" - Stock Setup Overview (2 min 43 sec)

GSTV - "Penguin" - LOS Flight Review (3 min 10 sec)

GSTV - "Penguin" - Breakdown & Assembly (3 min 10 sec)
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:39 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
New video from today:

Perfect clouds for FPV

https://vimeo.com/47420605
Great video. I'm officially sold on the penguin. Wish I could pre-order now.

What flight cam were you using? TX/RX? Video looks great!
imagebuff is online now Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Hey all. Tim @ ReadyMadeRC sent me one of the new "Penguin" planes to test out a while back now. In that time I've been able to put it through a lot of testing.

Here are some videos I made featuring it. It's a really nice plane and I expect this will become an FPV standard once out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyq3cGG1RC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKjqMq6eBvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRmxzogjtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqZ7C-W0meM
Hi. great work
CS WIN is offline Find More Posts by CS WIN
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagebuff View Post
Great video. I'm officially sold on the penguin. Wish I could pre-order now.

What flight cam were you using? TX/RX? Video looks great!
Here was my setup for that video:

On the Penguin
- RMRC 600XVN camera
- 1.3 800mw Tx with stock whip antenna
- Used flight pack for video power with in-line12v filter
- 3s 8800mah
- Eagle Tree OSD (Guardian turned off, but artifical horizon on)
- CC 10a BEC (this wont be needed as thenewer ESCs shipped on the Penguin use switching BECs)

Gound Station- 1280/1258 Rx with Saw Filter
- 1.3 Optimized patch antenna
- Eagle eyes station (only used for video splitting)
- FPV Japan DVR recorder
- Fatshark Classics with head tracker
- Fatshark BASE (for my copilot who was more interested in her book than flying)

Dragon Link V2 for flight control
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
The Penguins have been shipped! Pre order is expected to be available by the end of the week with RMRC.

Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
Germany
Joined Feb 2007
138 Posts
Hi,
nice bird!. Just some question, please can you comment them?

1. is there some carbon rod forcement for the elev and aile? How many hinge are per aile ?
2. is the wing connector a full carbon rod or a tube?
3. What is the max starting weight?
4. In the videos there are some reflections from the black cabin foam, also I note a distortion in the camera picture, in case the cam looking straight forward or slidly down from the cabin heaven.
5. What should be the watt/amp/press of the average, non-sporty motor / prop combo?
6. In some of the videos the cabin ground is black epo, in some it is white plain material, what would be in the final version?
7. What is the gliding factor of this bird (means how many meters it will glide if you push it from a hight of 10 meter.
8. What is the min amp to keep the bird horizontal on a normal day (non windy)

Many thanks
Gregor
gregor4711 is offline Find More Posts by gregor4711
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,390 Posts
Who else is selling this plane except ReadyMade RC?

I am very interested but located in Europe...

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Who else is selling this plane except ReadyMade RC?

I am very interested but located in Europe...

/Dimitrios
And in Canada. Shipping and Customs would bring this bird over $300. Not worth it.
cr8tive_leo is online now Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Not sure on who else is selling them outside of the US.

@ gregor4711 - I'll answer any I can of these:

1. is there some carbon rod forcement for the elev and aile? How many hinge are per aile ?

A: None in the elevator, I suggest adding one. I did, 2 in the main wings and those are great, I've not needed any extra reinforcing from stock and I'm a reinforcing guy. Every plane for FPV before this I've added to but they have a strong wing here.

There are no hinges, you can cut the ailerons out and add your own, or use the existing foam to hold. If you're worried reinforce them with tape.

2. is the wing connector a full carbon rod or a tube?

A: Each wing 2 spars, and then a carbon connector as seen in my video here:
GSTV - "Penguin" - Breakdown & Assembly (3 min 10 sec)

The main spar is aluminum.

3. What is the max starting weight?

A: This would depend on the power system of course and using the stock M2200 system (1350kv w/40a ESC) I was able to easily carry a 64.3oz load (AUW). When I added on a bigger power system it pulled the 64oz like it was nothing (that's about a 4 lb plane).

4. In the videos there are some reflections from the black cabin foam, also I note a distortion in the camera picture, in case the cam looking straight forward or slidly down from the cabin heaven.

A: With the canopy there can be some reflective glare in the inside that could be an issue for some. I've removed my canopy and don't have those glare issues.

5. What should be the watt/amp/press of the average, non-sporty motor / prop combo?

A: Here's at max I'm getting on the bench (so not flying) using the stock M2200 setup:

335w/30.7amps at max, there isn't really an average as that depends on the flying type. I can sustain flight getting about 133mA a minute. More info if you're really interested in the Penguin here as well.

6. In some of the videos the cabin ground is black epo, in some it is white plain material, what would be in the final version?

A: Not sure. I have a white plane with a black painted canopy top, all is white otherwise.

7. What is the gliding factor of this bird (means how many meters it will glide if you push it from a hight of 10 meter.

A: Haven't done real glide testing, but again, this will depend on the FPV setup. There glide potential with no power, but not a ton. Still yesterday with a nice headwind and using about 5 amps I was actually able to climb some.

8. What is the min amp to keep the bird horizontal on a normal day (non windy)

A: Again, this is pretty specific, but I fly around 25mph and would use around 8-10 amps maintaining alt.

Pushing the Penguin into some acrobatic formation flying. Next time the SW in the shot will be another Penguin as we match airframes for this type of FPV fun:

I can push tighter loops and similar rolls as the SW. Not having matched airframes makes this tight flying tougher so in 2 weeks we'll be flying Penguins together as Randy finishes his test build using the power system a step up from the M2200 set I initially flew.

I flew the new power system I listed previously and wow... it really has some power with that setup. The M2200 setup is great for standard FPV but something like this power system I've got now is super powerful... it's like going from the economy model to a sports car. That noticeable.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Good news.... The Penguin is open for pre-order!

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...41f1pq5s2paoj6
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
Dave the M2220 motor will be enough to get gopro and FPV in the air or its a struggle?
What the max size prop can be put on without mods?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Dave the M2220 motor will be enough to get gopro and FPV in the air or its a struggle?
I can't speak much about the M2220 motor performace, but the max size prop is 9". You might be able to squeeze on a 9.5, but it will be close.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Yes, in the videos I made any HD footage is from a GoPro on a full pan/tilt module, with a fully loaded Eagle Tree OSD system and a 5000 3s battery weighing in over 64oz. (for the AUW) and it was still able to do loops and rolls and lots of fun flying just on the base system.

Totally doable! Now you're not going to be blowing doors with that base setup, but honestly, if that's all I had it would be super fun. Totally enough power to catch up in formation flying, takeoffs, basic acrobatics, etc. Never was the power system lagging for all I was trying.

I've just upgraded to a new motor package that RMRC sells and that's the one if you really want hard core performance! More info on that but, yes, the base M2200 system is quite capable and not just for a light weight LOS flyer... go full FPV with that and you'll love it.