HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2012
491 Posts
its in the same sack as the tail washer i believe.
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:46 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvbasher View Post
its in the same sack as the tail washer i believe.
OK, THX.
I will check again.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I figure I will post this information on this thread but this will be the last post I will probably make to the build thread as the aircraft has now flown.

I'm heading home from two successful FPV flights this afternoon. I will download the eagle tree data and post some information on this site. I am truly amazed at how well this aircraft flies and how little power it requires. With a stiff headwind, I was able to keep 20 mph airspeed while going over the ground only 4 mph. This plane loves to float and fly. After take off I was up to 700 feet in no time. I achieved this on maybe one half throttle. I will have to look at my notes to see what trim I added but I think it was some down elevator is all that was really required. My CG is in the middle of the recommended setting. I used a 3-cell 5300 and a 500 pack for the VTX. I could have moved the batteries a couple more inches forward if I needed to. The CG is easily attainable. What I really love about this aircraft compared to others I have flown with a pusher type propeller is that no fancy mix or thrust angle needed. There was no P-factor or any noticeable yaw with full throttle to idle. Head tracking works very well as well as the eagle tree system.
The plane flew like a trainer. It is very easy to fly.

I will post more information and perhaps video of the on-screen display from today later on.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350258081.327516.jpg
Views: 259
Size: 271.7 KB
Description:
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
First flight - Done

First flight made with a Gens Ace 4800 60-120C pack
25 degrees C OAT, 1835 density altitude
Winds: 350/14
Prop: 9X6 APC
Motor: stock 2815 that came with the ARF

Took off from the grass. The plane didnít leap in the air but got up in a short distance. It didnít look like it was pitched up very much in the climb but boy did it climb. Speed or power didnít seem all that much but plenty. I went on the goggles about 1 minute into the flight. I added a few clicks of down trim.
There was a lot of wind at times. It was pretty gusty. Winds were about 14 mph but sometimes gusted higher. On my second flight, I could get the plane down to 4 mph of ground speed but still maintain 18-20 mph airspeed. Great for looking around with the head tracking camera.

Eagle Tree system worked great. Eagle Eyes antenna tracking worked great as well however I screwed up and had my whip antenna up vice my good patch antenna. My diversity was on but it had switched to the whip while I was setting up and I didnít notice. Oh well, it worked fine.
This was my first flight with head tracking. I liked it but it felt odd looking around while the OSD was giving you info straight ahead. Easy to get used to, just felt weird at first.

I need to turn down the gains on the Guardian some. It really wanted to be level. I will test my return home the next flight. I waived off after noting the slow ground speeds this plane can do. I wanted to adjust max airspeed and min ground speed before I tested RTH. Works on the simulator and the controls all seem to respond correctly.

Penguin FPV First Flight (0 min 0 sec)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
768 Posts
Awesome flights! I only have my guardian activated for artificial horizon and center stick only stabilization. That way it still lets me have fun, but relax when I want to.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
First flight made with a Gens Ace 4800 60-120C pack
25 degrees C OAT, 1835 density altitude
Winds: 350/14
Prop: 9X6 APC
Motor: stock 2815 that came with the ARF
Tony97,
Great flight and congrats on your maiden. Would you mind posting any mods you made to the "out of the box" plane. And did you do any wing stress tests, for example loops?
Best,
Steven
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Mods:
I put square CF in the horizontal stabilizer vice the stock round tube. I only made it a out 2-3" longer. Not sure if made any difference but I saw on the thread so I did it.

I also put thin CF in the fuselage above and below where the horizontal stab slides in. Again, not sure needed but saw on the thread so I did it.

I used body pins for RC cars vice nuts and bolt for holding wings on the spar. Easier to deal with at the field.

I put packing tape on all leading edges and bottom.

I modified the left wing for my eagle tree pitot tube.

I put the recommended thickness washers on the motor.

I added nice anchor nuts to the firewall in case I needed to quickly adjust the thrust angle.

I used an APC 9x6 prop. With a high discharge rated pack, I got the stock prop to basically over speed and howl.

That's all the mods.

No loops or rolls on my first day out. To be honest, I really just want a solid FPV platform.....not a 3D plane. I'm sure I will loop it once or twice and do some rolls but I don't really care to do it much with this plane. I have other planes for that purpose. I did pull about 3g's on my first flight but not for a long period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Tony97,
Great flight and congrats on your maiden. Would you mind posting any mods you made to the "out of the box" plane. And did you do any wing stress tests, for example loops?
Best,
Steven
Last edited by Tony97; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:55 PM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
176 Posts
Just started to build my kit and I can't get the fuse to
separate at the front wheels. Anybody else have this
problem? Can't figure what it could be. Kit looks great
but I'm not off to a good start.
grnd0 is offline Find More Posts by grnd0
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
Just started to build my kit and I can't get the fuse to
separate at the front wheels. Anybody else have this
problem? Can't figure what it could be. Kit looks great
but I'm not off to a good start.
The axle sticks - just keep gently prying, right at the wheels, such that you don't break anything - and sooner or later, it will come out. Had similar problem with rear wheel on mine as well.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green View Post
The axle sticks - just keep gently prying, right at the wheels, such that you don't break anything - and sooner or later, it will come out. Had similar problem with rear wheel on mine as well.
That's exactly what I did. I used a wedge to pry the wheels apart pay close attention so as not to damage the surrounding foam. Increased the thickness of the wedge as the spacing increases.

Looks like glue seeped into the rod axle and the plywood former. Once separated, you can clean up the glue on the rod axle.
Neewbie is offline Find More Posts by Neewbie
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:03 PM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
176 Posts
Thanks guys. Got it apart with no damage. It was a
little burr on end of wire. Filed it a little, all is good.
Now back to assembly.
grnd0 is offline Find More Posts by grnd0
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Mar 2006
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
Thanks guys. Got it apart with no damage. It was a
little burr on end of wire. Filed it a little, all is good.
Now back to assembly.
The same thing happened to me on the third build. I thought it was glued, but it was just a burr on the end or the axle. I'm glad you got yours apart safely!
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
Mods:

That's all the mods.

No loops or rolls on my first day out. To be honest, I really just want a solid FPV platform.....not a 3D plane. I'm sure I will loop it once or twice and do some rolls but I don't really care to do it much with this plane. I have other planes for that purpose. I did pull about 3g's on my first flight but not for a long period of time.
Tony97,
Thanks, that's very helpful. Btw, I wasn't suggesting a 3D bird However, as any SW FPVr knows, unreinforced SW wings have been known to fold in an inadvertent pilot or equipment induced high g maneuver. I hate the wing mods on the SW.
Best,
Steven
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
I get what you're saying. I may look to do a loop and see how it performs. I am curious on how many Gs I will pull in a gentle loop. I am sort of reluctant to doing any stressful maneuvers just in case the wings do fold. What I may do is some fast and steep dives and pull out abruptly to stress the wings first. In some aspects I would like to know if the wings will fold after some maneuvers. However, another side of me wants to be as gentle as can be with the plane at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Tony97,
Thanks, that's very helpful. Btw, I wasn't suggesting a 3D bird However, as any SW FPVr knows, unreinforced SW wings have been known to fold in an inadvertent pilot or equipment induced high g maneuver. I hate the wing mods on the SW.
Best,
Steven
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2006
768 Posts
No need to be gentle! I have tested mine as hard as I can and nothing bad has happened. Abrupt, full throttle loops out of a descent? No problem!
Site Sponsor